U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 09:50 PM

549 posts, read 1,883,310 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to make a move to a different rural town or county and I'm just fed up with bitter cold New England winters.

I'm not looking to snowbird in the deep south again, or live in the southwestern desert. Somewhere on the "edge" of hot and cold would be perfect. Mild winter, survivable summer, the option of enjoying the outdoors year round, and live without either constant air conditioning all summer or an eskimo parka all winter.

A rural town of under 30,000, more liberal than conservative, jobs are not important, schools not important but a generally educated population is desirable, arts desirable.... got anything? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 09:59 PM

380 posts, read 1,013,384 times
Shepherdstown Visitors Center - Shepherdstown, WV

Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 PM

Thank you clintsullivan. Very interesting. I drove through the Shenandoah Valley the summer before last on my vacation. Beautiful area!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:11 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,804,350 times
Moscow, ID has mild winters (some snow) and nice summers. McMinnville, OR is larger then 30,000, but is a great place to live. They have mild winters (except the freak snow storm last year) and pleasant summers. There are alot of artsy things going on there.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:14 AM

13,649 posts, read 26,071,215 times
Asheville, NC?

Old 10-15-2009, 09:51 PM

380 posts, read 1,013,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
Thank you clintsullivan. Very interesting. I drove through the Shenandoah Valley the summer before last on my vacation. Beautiful area!
This is a unique location. We are about 60 miles from Washington DC, south of the Mason Dixon Line, part Shenandoah Valley, part Blue Ridge Mountains; we have the Potomac River, Shenandoah River, Harpers Ferry (John Brown, civil war history, etc.) and a growing University. The area has a rural small town feel yet with Shepherd U and the constant influx of DC urbanites, Shepherdstown is probably the most blue area of WV.
In the recent past there has been residential and commercial growth in the middle of the county near Charles Town & Ranson with many new stores and restaurants, but there is restrictive zoning that should keep it all centralized while preserving the horse farms and orchards. Jefferson County is a bedroom community with many of the residents commuting eastward for high paying jobs in the DC suburbs, while enjoying the lower cost of living and WV freedoms here.
Clint

PS. you said arts? http://www.catf.org/

Old 10-18-2009, 02:19 PM

18,549 posts, read 55,485,543 times
Rural San Diego?

Weatherwise, you are fighting a losing battle in the continental U.S.. Hawaii would be more like what you want, if you can afford it.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Hawaii would be more like what you want, if you can afford it.
I lived on Kauila St. in Hilo, Hawaii back when it was affordable, It rains like 363 days a year and I think the official flower was... mildew.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:54 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,798,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
I'm looking to make a move to a different rural town or county and I'm just fed up with bitter cold New England winters.

I'm not looking to snowbird in the deep south again, or live in the southwestern desert. Somewhere on the "edge" of hot and cold would be perfect. Mild winter, survivable summer, the option of enjoying the outdoors year round, and live without either constant air conditioning all summer or an eskimo parka all winter.

A rural town of under 30,000, more liberal than conservative, jobs are not important, schools not important but a generally educated population is desirable, arts desirable.... got anything? Thanks.
Hint: look at places that are Climate Zone 8 or higher----------that will eliminate most true '4 season' climates where winter is a major factor.

Frankly; your best bet may indeed be Wash State (near Seattle) or Sacramento; why I say that is the summer/winter split here in the West is more influenced by altitude vs. latitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living