U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 06:59 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Another joke is those home made signs where people try to out do each other with tough talk about trespassing.

Many of those " tough talking" signs don't tell me a mean man lives there, just an ignorant man.
I agree. I free range my sheep and would hate to have an ignorant hunter try to tag one as an Albino Deer, so I found a deterrent.

Electric fence. You don't even have to put No Trespassing sign up or hook the electric fence up to a fence charger. There is just something about an electric fence and the potential for electric shock that keep people from touching it.

I know another person that puts up a sign that simply says "Tick Infected Area". Again a true statement that keeps people away.

I also add a plastic "Danger" sign to my gates (those yellow insulated handles) and write in 11,000 volts in black marker. I admit it gives the trespassers another reason to not touch the fence, but in my case its a true statement. They are hooked up to a charger and I do run severe voltage so that the sheep get a good poke despite their wool. In my defense though, I am not stopping people from mere trespassing, I have a lot of investment in my livestock and really don't want people wondering through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 01:19 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,965,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I agree. I free range my sheep and would hate to have an ignorant hunter try to tag one as an Albino Deer, so I found a deterrent.

Electric fence. You don't even have to put No Trespassing sign up or hook the electric fence up to a fence charger. There is just something about an electric fence and the potential for electric shock that keep people from touching it.

I know another person that puts up a sign that simply says "Tick Infected Area". Again a true statement that keeps people away.

I also add a plastic "Danger" sign to my gates (those yellow insulated handles) and write in 11,000 volts in black marker. I admit it gives the trespassers another reason to not touch the fence, but in my case its a true statement. They are hooked up to a charger and I do run severe voltage so that the sheep get a good poke despite their wool. In my defense though, I am not stopping people from mere trespassing, I have a lot of investment in my livestock and really don't want people wondering through.
Do you tie red tags in between the insulators to make sure the electric wire is noticed?

Old 10-18-2009, 05:52 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,802 times
No, the majority of my fence is located on private property and so no one should be there. Only a very small portion is located along the road. At the same time, this is New England, so the fences are typically located on the edge of fields...and along rockwalls...people should notice them.

With their keen eyesight, sheep have no problems noticing the small wires. There is no reason to mark the wires for them, they aren't horses! (LOL)

Old 10-18-2009, 10:46 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,459,522 times
Default Signs

Years ago, I had an issue with UPS. One of their delivery drivers used to fly down our road. We had many small children playing on it. It's not a main road - rather a private dirt road. I realize that their feet are held to the fire and they're tracked by "big brother" to deliver packages within a certain time frame, but that's another topic.

Be that as it may, I think their bosses would have been more concerned about the potential for a lawsuit if they killed a small child while trying to deliver something.

Long story short: I apparently had raised enough of a ruckus (several phone calls later) for them to slow down on my road. That said, I was two steps away from painting the following sign to stick in front of my house:

"What can Brown do for me? SLOW THE HELL DOWN BEFORE THEY KILL SOMEONE".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living