Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

People from all over the country are betting the farm -- on Facebook. "FarmVille," a game where people use fake and real dollars to cultivate virtual farms, is becoming a huge success.

FarmVille Facebook Application Attracts Millions - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 12:45 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
yeah. i know a guy who plays this thing nonstop. I don't understand it. It looks extremely boring.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:00 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Hah, my boyfriend is really into this. As somebody who grew up in a farming community, I don't really see the point, and have to laugh at how it works. But to his urban sensibilities, it's all very charming and fun. Weird that apparently, some people spend actual money on it, though.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:38 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hah, my boyfriend is really into this. As somebody who grew up in a farming community, I don't really see the point, and have to laugh at how it works. But to his urban sensibilities, it's all very charming and fun. Weird that apparently, some people spend actual money on it, though.
Yea I'm into Farmtown too.They are Animal Friendly me I'm wanting to Butcher but they won't let me all I can do is Harvest.

I'm still trying to figure where Circus Peanuts come from??

hillman

Old 11-09-2009, 07:03 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
No surprise that game is a big hit.

Many,many, "fantasy farmers" post here.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:28 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Yea I'm into Farmtown too.They are Animal Friendly me I'm wanting to Butcher but they won't let me all I can do is Harvest.
This is one of the things that I find snortworthy about it. A simulation of "farming" that won't allow you to raise livestock for butchering purposes? Hah. Because ALL the people I grew up with who raised hogs, hereford and black and red angus raised them so they could cuddle with them.

It's a very, very crunchy granola concept of what farming is, so it makes me chuckle.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:40 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

It's a very, very crunchy granola concept of what farming is, so it makes me chuckle.
True! As a child I lived on a farm, but I really miss those days now. I must confess I play Farmville. Of course it's just a silly game, but it's mindless and helps pass the time. I play for free, you don't have to use real money. I actually prefer Farm Town (also on Facebook), though. The animals/homes/farms etc. are just more life-like, so you can better create a "real" farm. I did think at first we could butcher the animals, because when you click on them an option pops up that says "eat". But all it does is make the animal eat. Even my 6 year old loves to play those games with me. "Mommy, it's been four hours, it's time to harvest our crops!!"

Old 11-09-2009, 11:39 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,269 times
I've being playing Farmville for about less than 8 weeks. At first I didn't get it, either. I found it boring and pointless. I let plot after plot of strawberries wither. Then I realized that I supposed to come back, harvest the crops, and plant more. Everyone around me was so far advanced on the game that I thought it was an instance process. So I started really playing it about a month ago. I'm Level 27.

I enjoy the game. I like the idea of really planning out my field so I can get the most money and XP for my time and crops. I compete against family members and friends, lol, for the best farm.

I don't spend money on this game. I think that's cheating and defeats the purpose of the game. Again, I like the thinking aspect of this game. Yes, that exists with this game. I only "play" less than 1 hour a day.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:54 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,684,518 times
I play Farm Town in the winter when I have more time to sit at the computer for hours. I gain lots more "money" and equipment in 6 weeks than I could get in years on my real "farm"! Of course, there's no hailstorms, tornadoes, flooding rains, or cold temps to wipe out my harvests, and they happen in 1-3 days instead of weeks; I don't have to milk my cows or gather the eggs or climb the trees to harvest the fruits, and my tractor never runs out of gas. My "Farm Town" home is a lot nicer than my real one, and I even have two smaller homes for 'tenant' farmers.... lol it's silly mindless fun, but real life is a lot more interesting. And I refuse to do like some of my younger friends do - charge their 'game points' to their credit card. I have over 1/2 a million in my 'account' just on 'sales' of 'crops'!

Old 08-13-2010, 06:11 PM

377 posts, read 1,081,989 times
Hi rex!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living