Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 12:02 AM

2 posts, read 21,576 times

Advertisements

about 6 months ago I ventured out to Gainesville, Tx because I've always heard what a cool historic district it had. I really was amazed and found a wonderful Victorian house that I fell in love with. It's in the historic neighborhood and seems real friendly. I know about the flood problems and the rising crime rate. But what is the deal with that place??? downtown area seems to have so much potential. What do people do there? Work in Dallas, Ft. Worth? Share rides? It could be such a neat place and I WANT THAT HOUSE. I know there a dozens of small towns around Texas but there is something about this that is different. I've lived in Dallas most of my life, recently moved to Denton but now want to move to Gainesville Freakin' Texas. O.k. I'll get flood insurance and don't mind the drive to Dallas or Ft. Worth. I work in the Southlake area that' a long drive. But I love that place. Does anyone else out there think Gainesville is a unique Texas town??? Or, is anyone else out there obsessed with historic homes and downtown areas? Am I just a freak??????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 12:10 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
I don't know what you find so special about Gainesville, but I haven't spent much time there. I like it, but no more than a lot of other places. I hope you aren't planning to commute to Ft Worth/Dallas daily from there.

I'm about ready to "downsize" and get out of the Metromess. Fort Worth's population has increased by 31% since 2000! And the DFW population is 6.3 million. No wonder the traffic is terrible.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:12 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
"Or, is anyone else out there obsessed with historic homes and downtown areas?"

I haven't been to Gainesville yet, but I am obsessed with small town downtown areas. Brenham, Fredericksburg, Corsicana, Waxahachie... I live in Houston now, but I am from Orange, which is about to renovate part of it's downtown. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone And I will start working on my gf for a weekend trip to Gainesville.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 21,576 times
Glad you replied and glad to know there are others out there like me. If you explore Gainesville you and your GF should stay at the Shady Lady in downtown. It was an old brothel many years ago and now a bed and breakfast with a great restaurant downstairs. They did a great job with remodeling the place, only problem is that the owner seems to have too much going on but I have yet to find the perfect b&b. Anyway...you should give it a try.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I love old towns. I have a girlfriend who drags me "antiquing" with her. She's a quilter and into very old sewing machines so she's always on the hunt for them. We've been to so many over the years and I never get tired of visiting them and taking in the architecture.

My brother lives up in Dallas and next time I visit I'll have to bribe him to take me to Gainesville for a look see !

Old 10-30-2009, 11:38 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
The Shady Lady sounds like fun. We will have to try that out sometime. I love exploring small downtowns. I guess it's because my hometown has pretty much lost it's downtown even though it still has a very impressive theater and museum. I'm hoping they are able to use some Ike money to restore part of the downtown area. So when I see other thriving downtowns it brings a big smile to my face!

Old 11-06-2009, 02:20 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,179 times
Wow, Gainesville Texas fascinating? I'm sorry, but thats the funniest thing I've read today. I've lived there. Trust me, there is nothing special about it. As a matter of fact, I thought you were joking at first.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 14,134 times
Gainesville is steeped in history and has worked hard to preserve that history within the Main Street footprint and South Gainesville historic neighborhood. The downtown area has filled up in the last handful of years with quality restaurants, retailers and galleries. It has just started a quarterly Art Walk and will be having a Summer Concert series beginning this year. While it's true that when Jess5 lived here, it may've been a sleepy town, I disagree that there's nothing to do. People flock in on weekends to pick up pies from the Fried Pie Company (featured in the Dallas Morning News and Texas Highways) and to the shop next door that doubles as art gallery and boutique. That place, Paige Davidson Studio, serves as gallery for local painter Paige Davidson and her handbag line Cahoots Handbags. The handbags are all handmade from vintage textiles such as 1940s German mattress ticking or your grandfather's WWII uniform. The store has been featured in national mags like Lucky, Jane, and Venus as well as regional publications like D Weddings. Davidson runs the shop while working in her painting studio and is happy to give you history buffs a rundown of the history of her fabulous quirky building as well as information about the rest of Gainesville. She has brochures and postcards giving you more information than you need about the area and all there is to do in town. It should be a first stop on your Gainesville tour. You should also visit Gainesville's quilt shop, jewelry stores, gift shops, the Frank Buck Zoo, the Morton Museum, the Depot Museum, and take a walking tour of the historic home district. You can also go to SHOP HISTORIC GAINESVILLE to check out some of the downtown shops and restaurants and to find out what shopping events are coming up downtown.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 10,332 times
Applescruff, I love the George Harrison reference in your screen name.

I have seen footage of flooding in the Gainesville area, and I just don't understand how anyone can live there and not DROWN. Look at this: [URL]http://thiseclecticlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/gainesville4.jpg[/URL]

Old 05-20-2010, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 13,415 times
I've lived in Gainesville also and it might be a good place to visit on weekends but u do not want to live there. Crime rate is going up, gangs are a big problem there. School is not very good and there is nothing for kids to do but get into drugs and other types of trouble. Taxes are high and nothing to show for what you pay. yuck...will never go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living