U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:55 PM

11,179 posts, read 14,817,122 times

Advertisements

Annie, I have family in a rural area a town or two over from where you are eventually moving. Coyotes and/or feral dogs are a problem in that area for them. Their 'outdoor cats' go missing (or turn up on the roadside) pretty frequently. It's a good idea to keep 'pet cats' indoors at night.

Oh, and watch out for the deer when you're driving! The ex has hit a few on some of those back highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 07:15 PM

20,490 posts, read 38,410,774 times
A basic knowledge of ecology means that you know that you don't get to pick and choose which are animals in the food chain (eco-system) based on your personal preference. Cats have a place in that food chain. They weren't created in a laboratory any more than the other predators were. However, if there's a vacancy in the food chain in the area they're in, they'll fill it, just like every other animal out there does.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
I live in a rural area in WI where ,as nature intended, hawks and owls keep the rodents in check.

Not thats it's relevant where one lives to have a basic knowledge of ecology.
We got --hawks,owls, --and bald eagles where I live and still the good " mousers" bring home mice.

I also prefer cats to --hawks and owls-- near the buildings.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:51 PM

12,685 posts, read 17,015,833 times
Having lived in worked in several large cities, I have recently retired to a small west Texas farm and have had a terrible problem with pets. One of my small dogs went missing about a month ago and a barn kitten disappeared just last week. However, yesterday I saw a coyote about a mile north of the house so these guys may be my problem. The only solution I have been able to come up with is to find my old "wounded rabbit" call and deer rifle and wait for "Wiley" to come in at night for another pet meal.

Coyotes must be a problem around the Texas Panhandle as I saw an ad in the Lubbock Craig's List today for assistance in ridding properties of these critters.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:54 PM

The problem with coyotes (and a lot of other pests) is when (a) man moves into their territory and then objects to them being there and (b) their natural prey is reduced. Plus, of course, they're one of the more adaptable, intelligent of the creatures that man's likely to run across - I've seen a coyote running with a pack of dogs two blocks from downtown Dallas, and that was 35 years ago.

Even given that, if their natural prey is plentiful, they'd prefer not to come close enough to get pets because that means they'd have to come close to humans (with guns and wounded rabbit calls). But if they're hungry, yes, they will. If you don't have a Great Pyrenees on the place, that is.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:12 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,516,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
A basic knowledge of ecology means that you know that you don't get to pick and choose which are animals in the food chain (eco-system) based on your personal preference. Cats have a place in that food chain. They weren't created in a laboratory any more than the other predators were. However, if there's a vacancy in the food chain in the area they're in, they'll fill it, just like every other animal out there does.
Silly statement. Cats are domestic animals not native to North America and to have them at all is the only choice involved.

They have ZERO place in the food chain, are THE most harmful animals known
to the environment on this continent.Two cats, allowed to run will and do, kill every young bird in a hundred acre area.

Without birds humans would not survive two years , you would be quite literally, knee-deep in insects.

Unconfined cats in rural areas are not a nuisance, they are a plague, all sentimental foolishness aside.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 PM

I'm suspecting that your reference to sentimental foolishness may be a reflection of your own emotional state, not mine.

I actually live in the ecosystem I'm in. Observe it closely on a regular basis. Without cats (and owls and hawks, granted), we'd be overrun with birds in a very short time. This in spite of having from 5 to 10 cats (just our own or the ones that people dropped off at the end of the drive, not those belonging to our neighbors) here for the last 13 years.

So, no, 2 cats will not kill every young bird in a hundred acre area in every case. Not if 10 cats won't do it to 55 acres.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:21 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,374,277 times
The biggest mistake city people can make moving to the country is to try to upgrade the country by wanting to bring in sewer and water, street lights, speed limit signs (as has been suggested before you have even moved in) etc. On this one mile stretch of road there are four farms and one city family. There are no lights other than those IN homes. The new city neighbors leave 3 100 watt outdoor lights on all night and want the town to install street lights. The old timers on this road don't appreciate their trying to bring the city to the country. We like our unpoluted dark and clear view of starlit nights. Those who want city or town conveniences can move back.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:23 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,516,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm suspecting that your reference to sentimental foolishness may be a reflection of your own emotional state, not mine.

I actually live in the ecosystem I'm in. Observe it closely on a regular basis. Without cats (and owls and hawks, granted), we'd be overrun with birds in a very short time. This in spite of having from 5 to 10 cats (just our own or the ones that people dropped off at the end of the drive, not those belonging to our neighbors) here for the last 13 years.

So, no, 2 cats will not kill every young bird in a hundred acre area in every case. Not if 10 cats won't do it to 55 acres.
Overrun with birds, that would be terrible.Your 55 must be in a desert, in more ways than one.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:29 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,374,277 times
Every farm around here has multiple cats and have for years. We still have plenty of birds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living