U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowman View Post
This is a wive's tale. A hungry cat is not necessarily a good mouser and a well fed cat is not necessarily a poor one. In fact, I'm of the opinion that the cat that is better condition (I didn't say a butterball) is a better mouser than some scrawny thing.

Keep your cats fed. The cat that isn't getting fed is the one who goes to visit the neighbors. We milk and I honestly believe all the cats within two mile radius can smell the stuff because there is many a morning when our cats have visitors at their milk pan.

I have no problem with thinning down the population of neighborhood cats if they decide to hang around as too many cats on one place brings trouble.

Too, in our area, if a dog wanders onto a neighbors place, he's a goner. I myself would have a hard time killing a dog unless I caught it killing poultry or worrying sheep but some will shoot a dog just for being on their side of the fence, and I can't really say I blame them. A person needs to train their dog to stay home and remember the old rule: "Two dogs is NO dog."

--"This is a wive's tail"

--" Keep your cats fed"

If you could read, I never said--" don't feed your cats"
I said don't -------------------" over feed your cats"

You use the phrase--" some scrawny thing"

A fed cat doesn't turn into--some scrawny thing --
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,904,488 times
Our aforementioned dog is pretty smart when it comes to the coyotes...they come around singing at night, he'll respond (rudely I'm sure, as an earlier poster said) but he will not venture beyond the yard when they're around.

A couple of years ago, he caught a coyote out in the pasture by itself...made pretty short work of him as he is a big dog...I think He was about as satisfied-looking as I've ever seen him!

But, I might have been imagining it...........naw.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 PM

163 posts, read 157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--"This is a wive's tail"

--" Keep your cats fed"

If you could read, I never said--" don't feed your cats"
I said don't -------------------" over feed your cats"

You use the phrase--" some scrawny thing"

A fed cat doesn't turn into--some scrawny thing --
Sorry to set your hackles up! Chill. I'm chilling. It's below zero here.
I didn't aim to clobber you, just used phrase from your OP to mention that there are many who think being a good mouser depends on keeping the cat hungry so it will "have to catch mice to eat."
I didn't mean to imply that you believed that.

So, if you'll forgive me for "not being able to read" I'll forgive you for not being able to spell. It's tale not tail because we're talking about a story not the last part over the fence. Besides, most of our cats don't have tails. They're Manx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living