U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 01:14 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,433,430 times

Advertisements

Well the previous poster did say it lasts them, and that's with 3 kids.
The way i read it is that that's exactly what s/he IS doing...

We average about 1200 per month, but also have 5 horses drinking off it.
Laundry is done at the laundromat.
Our new well goes in this spring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 01:27 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,884,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Well the previous poster did say it lasts them, and that's with 3 kids.
The way i read it is that that's exactly what s/he IS doing...

We average about 1200 per month, but also have 5 horses drinking off it.
Laundry is done at the laundromat.
Our new well goes in this spring
What kind of well will you be getting???

Old 02-24-2015, 01:28 PM

2,896 posts, read 2,898,760 times
I have hauled water on one of my northern arizona properties. If you are conservative it can be done for household use. I hauled 310 gallons at a time in the back of my truck and it lasted about two weeks....Growing a garden and watering animals would be a different story.

With that being said I am glad I am getting a well put in up here on my property in Alaska. Was just quoted $50 a foot for just the well casing which seems a bit high for me. In Arizona I recall be quoted around $20 a foot. I am going to do some shopping around....

Old 02-24-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I have hauled water on one of my northern arizona properties. If you are conservative it can be done for household use. I hauled 310 gallons at a time in the back of my truck and it lasted about two weeks....Growing a garden and watering animals would be a different story.

With that being said I am glad I am getting a well put in up here on my property in Alaska. Was just quoted $50 a foot for just the well casing which seems a bit high for me. In Arizona I recall be quoted around $20 a foot. I am going to do some shopping around....
What size casing???

PVC....or metal???

Old 02-24-2015, 02:16 PM

I didn't get that far I believe it was metal... I really want to be a lot closer to the $20 afoot range than then $50 foot range. Would PVC be cheaper? Would there be a reason why one or the other couldn't be used in a cold climate like Alaska?

Old 02-24-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I didn't get that far I believe it was metal... I really want to be a lot closer to the $20 afoot range than then $50 foot range. Would PVC be cheaper? Would there be a reason why one or the other couldn't be used in a cold climate like Alaska?
I drill 5" PVC in Michigan......it is cold here too.

Yes.......PVC is cheaper than metal........do not go less than 5".

Old 02-24-2015, 02:49 PM

Do you think $50 a foot seems high for PVC? I get that stuff is more expensive up here but a $30 a foot difference from what I was quoted in AZ seems crazy. The Land is flat and easy to access with well depths around 120-150 in my area.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:56 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljoebay View Post
A somewhat old post. But the information is still highly relevant. Some of the information here is completely ridiculous. And I know for a fact that you find people everywhere who's minds are influenced by politics and media driven ideas. But I prefer to think that generally, people have their own brains...AND THEY WORK!!

City water is chlorinated. But its still FILTHY. Not even worth drinking. That's for sure. You can get cleaner water from rain. That is, if you know how to implement the rain catch and maintain it. It's highly possible. I know people with cisterns that were filthy only because they did not keep them clean. And they assumed that simply letting rain run off the roof into a cistern was all that mattered. NOT. There is indeed more to it. But most people today drink bottled water and just use city water for showers and washing. So, nobody should see any problems from that. As far as drilling a well goes. Most people cannot afford it. It isn't a good investment. Because its a premium price that you are paying just for convenience and an excuse to waste water. And only a FOOL would think a well will last forever. It's impossible. They run dry. The water is a pocket in the Earth. It WILL run dry. Especially if you are sharing it with neighbors. But still. A ridiculous cost if someone else drills it. If you can use your own tools to get it going, then more power to ya. But its far simpler to just set up a tank, paint it black, set up a closed rain water system, and filter the water. Pump it into the house (or rv) and live like usual. If thats too much work, then have it hauled in. 2000 gallons last us two months. And we have three kids. That might change if we wash clothes at home or use water for gardening. But life is full of limitations. Not a tragedy. There is virtue in this. I think when I hear someone say they had to carry bucket up hills for years, and that they don't want to do that to their kids. It's a tragedy. Because kids today SHOULD be carrying buckets. Struggle and hard work for less is how we find virtue. And virtue leads to wisdom. Soft spoiled children today are proof that the modern traditional life is no life at all. Just a selfish existence.
Where did you get that; some odd ball media site. City water supplies are tested. Often spring water has higher count of bacteria . We have a lot of wells here and they are tested in same way.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Do you think $50 a foot seems high for PVC? I get that stuff is more expensive up here but a $30 a foot difference from what I was quoted in AZ seems crazy. The Land is flat and easy to access with well depths around 120-150 in my area.
Yes......but, I am in Michigan.

My well is 320 foot deep.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:03 PM

What would be a reasonable range for price per foot for well drilling in your location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living