U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 10:09 AM

35 posts, read 327,299 times

Advertisements

considering a move to the area..are there any Anderson Valley, Booneville, etc residents who want to share what life in the valley or the surrounding area is like ? Wondering about the weather, what kind of jobs people have, where the best places to live are..that sort of thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 10:59 PM

2,616 posts, read 7,920,398 times
Anderson Valley is an incredibly beautiful area in Mendocino County, CA. Its between the only two towns of any significant size in the county, Ukiah (further inland) and Fort Bragg (on the Pacific Coast). The area is somewhat known for a unique local dialect that came about due to it's isolation from other towns prior to the mid 20th century. For example, a phone booth in Boonville is called a Bucky Walter. Bucky Walter was a real chatterbox in town, so calling the phone booth a Bucky Walter made a lot of sense. The sign over the famous phone booth even says Bucky Walter.

Jobs? The #1 cash crop in Mendocino County is marijuana. According to a CNBC documentary "Marijuana Inc", half of all jobs in the county are related or dependent on pot cultivation. Grape growing and the wine biz is pretty big too. If you have skills in things like water systems, portable generators or machinery repair, you might find some work but not necessarily a full time job.

Climate is near perfect much of the year. Rainy season is from November through March, but even in that time the temps are often mild and there are sustained periods of warm sunshine. Summers have fairly hot afternoons, often in the 90s, but the evenings are usually perfect with a cool ocean breeze that can work its way inland to let you open all the windows and sleep in comfort. Lots of people get by fine without AC because the humidity in summer is usually low.

If I could find a place to buy a little chunk of land, at a reasonable price, just big enough for a little house, I would not mind living around Boonville in a few more years after I retire.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:12 AM

35 posts, read 327,299 times
Thanks, your info is helpful ! Realestate prices and value are different here, what would you condsider to be the cost of a home for middle class like living ? It sounds like In your opinion the houses are more expensive in the Anderson Valley than where you live...

Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 PM

895 posts, read 2,587,113 times
One question Have you been to the Anderson Valley and Boonville, highway 128 from 101 is not exactly a super highway and it can be somewhat isolated too..We used to go threw there a lot on our to Elk out on the coast...
You should come out for a visit and really look at..It beautiful there...
Just asking is all..

Old 12-02-2009, 10:50 AM

9 posts, read 43,443 times
Default Boonville Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2migrate View Post
considering a move to the area..are there any Anderson Valley, Booneville, etc residents who want to share what life in the valley or the surrounding area is like ? Wondering about the weather, what kind of jobs people have, where the best places to live are..that sort of thing
I bought property in Boonville about a year ago anticipating retirement and am glad I did as I rarely see any on the market. I can't tell you how much I love the little time I get to spend up there now and only wish it was more. There's not much locally in the way of gainful employment unless you're willing to drive to Ukiah.

Driving up from SoCal, I take Hwy 128 as I absolutely love the drive. I actually feel the tension leaving my shoulders the minute I get on the hwy. The scenery is outstanding but you need to keep your eyes on the road (especially at night) as there are deer galore. Love it and the local people!

Old 01-11-2010, 08:50 AM

9 posts, read 43,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2migrate View Post
Thanks, your info is helpful ! Realestate prices and value are different here, what would you condsider to be the cost of a home for middle class like living ? It sounds like In your opinion the houses are more expensive in the Anderson Valley than where you live...
I bought a house on 12+ acres in 1/09 for a little over 400k. I lucked out as property doesn't come up for sale in this area very frequently...good luck though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living