U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:45 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,802 times

Advertisements

We used to have a chicken processing plant here, but the environmental whackos made them shut it down. Still we all wish it was back, the chicken offal they put in the bay actually attracted lobsters. Back when it was running our bay was filled with lobster boats, now there is 3-4 left, and the ones that are there have to fish way off into the bay to find lobsters.

But we don't have illegal alien issues here yet either. I do feel for you in that regard. 1 out of 10 people laid off in this country and we can't kick the jerks out that come over here and abuse our generosity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 07:47 AM

17,032 posts, read 27,235,050 times
Unfortunately the 'illegals' are often the only folks willing to work in meat processing facilities. Very repetitive work that doesn't pay all that well. Town I lived in closed its processing plant. Say what you want but when those jobs leave, many clothing store, restaurant, gas station etc. jobs go with them.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Unfortunately the 'illegals' are often the only folks willing to work in meat processing facilities. Very repetitive work that doesn't pay all that well. Town I lived in closed its processing plant. Say what you want but when those jobs leave, many clothing store, restaurant, gas station etc. jobs go with them.

Your first 2 sentences explained it .

I worked in a beef packing plant for 19 years ( and farmed) right out of high school.

The job ( loading trucks/lugging beef quarters ) was just as hard then as it is now. The difference is it was a well paying union job with excellent benefits. We were one of the first to have Dental Dental ( about 40 years ago) and most dentists in that city had never heard of it yet.

In 1982 I quit and started milking cows cuz the " handwriting was on the wall". The 2 packing plants in the city I worked were closing cuz they could no longer compete with the new ones opening in South Dakota, Nebraska, and Colorado that were hiring ILLEGALS and paying low wages.

----" that doesn't pay all that well "-------
Not being willing to pay higher wages is no justification for hiring illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living