U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:04 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times

Advertisements

I have observed many people, regardless of age, who become a completely different person when deer hunting comes.

Many neighbors who hunt in my area, do things during the 2 weeks of deer hunting that is totally out of character for them the other 50 weeks of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 11:53 AM

148 posts, read 536,921 times
I think the same problems are showing up everywhere.
I grew up hunting, and still hunt deer, turkey, squirrel, birds, & the occasional bear or boar.
That said, I'm really particular about who I hunt with or around, usually avoid public gamelands, and only have 2 people that I give permission to hunt on my land, because of all the crazies and idiots who seem to like running around the woods with guns drinking and shooting at anything that moves [not much that I'd call "hunting"]. I don't know what to do about it though, it really shouldn't fall back on local landowners, but in most rural areas the game wardens and sheriffs departments are already stretched to thin to take care of what they see as trespassing or porpety disputes [until someone gets shot, then it's usuallyt called and "unforeseeable accident"].

Old 11-11-2009, 05:14 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,208 times
The biggest issue I had with the whole incident was not with hunting society as a whole, but the ignorant way the media handled the whole situation. WE ARE NOT ANTI-HUNTERS and yet that is what they kept trying to portray. My uncle was like, "if they asked, they could have hunted on some land away from our houses. I have two doe permits myself and hunt every year...we are not anti-hunters". Yet the media tried and tried to turn the incident into a landowner versus hunters issue which it wasn't...it was a bunch of out of state jerks who happen to be hunters issue!

Incidentally a hunting cabin just down the road has been here ever since I was a kid. They were more upset about the incident then we were since they work hard to secure hunting privileges here. We'll just say these out-of-state hunters and their long established hunting cabin, got involved.

They are good people. I just had to stop in and thank them too. They were up made a huge batch of Peperoni soup and upon finding out my Grandmother was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer, stopped in and gave her a big bowl of soup. In fact they stop in often with extra food for her.

Not all hunters are bad, and as a sheep farmer I rely on hunters here...coyote hunters in particular. Deer season just gets me nervous!!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:47 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,536,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
What do you expect out of people raised on video games and totally desensetized to violence ?

Many/ most people walking around under 45 or so are, quite litterally, insane.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-men. When they talk about profiling serial killers, and 1) how they practice violence first on defenseless insects and animals, 2) have no conscience about individual rights or personal ownership, 3) are simply not conscious of other people as individuals, but only as 'things' that can provide their wants/needs/desires of the moment, I look around me and say, "Crud! Every third person I know is a potential serial killer!" So many people nowadays think that other people don't have the right to own things that they do not, or to have lifestyles that they can't/don't feel the need to work to achieve, or to live a life other than what they call "normal", where violence, cruelty, and insensitivity are the 'norm'. Creepy when you see how far down the evolutionary scale some members of the human race have sunk.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:17 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,516,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I have observed many people, regardless of age, who become a completely different person when deer hunting comes.

Many neighbors who hunt in my area, do things during the 2 weeks of deer hunting that is totally out of character for them the other 50 weeks of the year.
More likely the other 50 weeks are totally out of character for them.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:08 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,536,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
More likely the other 50 weeks are totally out of character for them.
So if "in vino veritas" then also "in the hunt mode, truth"? That would amaze the folks who know me, since I become quiet, introspective, patient, and forbearing when I hunt!

Seriously, I totally agree. The veneer of civilization is very thin in some spots. Or as DH says, "The moronosphere is hanging low today!"

Old 11-16-2009, 07:44 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,603,584 times
I fully support hunting, but hunters of all types are going to have to wise up before they find their rights and hunting opportunities have vanished. Hunters need to get together and demand a more professional sportsmanlike conduct of themselves and other hunters. Hunters should lead by example, since they are the original conservationists.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:45 PM

34,454 posts, read 43,301,321 times
I don't really know where some of you see these "hunters". I've been hunting for over 40 years and can count on one hand the times I've seen anyone hunting drunk, shooting at non-game animals or out of season game, or any other craziness described.
Then again, I've always been particular about who I hunt with.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:53 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,884,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't really know where some of you see these "hunters". I've been hunting for over 40 years and can count on one hand the times I've seen anyone hunting drunk, shooting at non-game animals or out of season game, or any other craziness described.
Then again, I've always been particular about who I hunt with.
Nither have I. Hubby got a nice 12pt. tonight. No one could have made that shot drunk.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:11 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,902,953 times
I hunt and used to never see anyone drinking while handling a gun or have any problems. As the years have gone by, it has gotten worse.

Some of the more egregious things I've seen...

Some moron actually took a batwing bushhog and cut him a virtual road across a lot of our property to a tree stand. He felled trees and cut fences to do it. Amazing.

Our property is posted, yet I have come across more people from out of town (usually) who have just helped themselves to hunting our place. A couple of times I have come across vehicles deep in our woods or on the edge of a pasture. I know who hunts our place so if I see a vehicle that doesn't belong, I record the tag, take a picture and leave a note. Years ago I would have left a note that said "If you want to hunt on my property, call me and we'll talk." (No one ever did.) Now my note just says "You do not have permission to hunt here. Your tag has been recorded. If you are seen here again charges will be filed." If I see the vehicle a second time now, the distributor cap disappears (Hmmm...wonder how that happened?) or all four tires seem to have the air let out of them and I let the sheriff know about the vehicle being on my place. That has always worked as far as not seeing them around again. There's even been a time or two when a tow truck could get to the vehicle and I've had it towed if they won't come out of the woods.

I've rarely ever turned anyone down if they've asked to hunt my place...but we're real clear on who can hunt and where. I don't want folks tripping over each other or worse.

Unfortunately, some years it's almost felt like we were under siege during hunting season. It's been better the last few years...I suspect word has gotten out about my efforts to control who is on my place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living