U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:49 AM

625 posts, read 1,675,385 times

Advertisements

[quote=BrokenTap;11569407]..........

Deer hunters just got stupid......quote]

Some just don't have a clue & should have ID lessons first. Around here there's usually at least a couple cows & horses killed during season & of course no-one ever owns up to doing it.

A couple years ago, up north of here, a couple guys from down south were hunting (don't remember if they were up here for college, were working on the new pipeline, or were stationed at the air base). Seeing the out of state plates on the vehicle, the warden stopped to have a chat. "How's it going ?" he asked. "Oh, fantastic!" they replied. "We really got a dandy one. He's a real beauty! They guys back home are going to be sooo jealous!!! We just need to figure out how to get it onto the truck"

They were falling all over themselves to show it to the warden. They all walked to a small clearing and there lay a big bull moose!

The warden later measured the rack & it would have been a new state record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 11:46 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,208 times
Near me there is this college that is well recognized as being a Environmental, Conservation and Law Enforcement college. Generally we get a long with the college kids, but a few years ago three boys got together and shot an arrow at the local dairy farmer's Jersey cow....and yes killed it.

(This was not my family's farm by the way).

They finally caught the people and arrested them, and one was going to be a game warden, another a forest range and the other an environmentalist. They had disected song birds in their dorms and a lot of poached animals, all of which was illegal. In the end they got kicked out of college and had felony records.

But the funniest thing was the farmer. He was asked to put a price on the cow and he really could not do that. I mean it was a heifer, so you have to count all the babies she would have had, which could be heifers too which would have added up to milk production...as I said, its impossible to calculate. He finally agreed to a 10,000 dollar restitution but I think that was a touch low.

Who would be so stupid as to kill a cow with a bow and arrow? What kind of sport is that? I can see it now. "Hey Bob look at that cow right there, see if you can get a bead on him. You can huh, that's because its not moving, nope just standing there eating grass. Yep still standing there, try shooting it Bob. Holy smokes you hit it, though it was like hitting a broad side of a barn. Hey high five you great hunter you."

Old 11-20-2009, 12:14 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
I doubt any court wouldawatd that much restitution for a cow.
I seriously doubt that.

Restitution is based on replacement cost, at it has been rare for a Jersey to bring over $2,000.

No court is gonna award restitution for a cow or car based on future losses incurred.

They base it on replacement cost cuz that replacement now fills the void of loss in the future.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:16 PM

Figure it any way you want, but he was awarded 10 grand for it. I think it came about because people in Maine tend to understand farming as a whole and can easily figure out the loss of an animal can seriously impact a farm, especially a small one like his with only 120 milking Jerseys on it. At that number each animal makes a sizable contribution to the overall profit and loss.

Of course whether he got it or not is another story.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:33 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
I doubt people in Maine understand farming any more than anyplace else in th US!

--if-- they did, they would realize that an award that is equal to replacement of a similar cow would result in zero future income loss cuz that replacement would be producing milk also.

Perhaps some people don't understand the meaning of--"replacement"

Old 11-22-2009, 05:42 AM

I disagree with you on that. Maine people are, and historically have been, very supportive of farmers in Maine. Its probably one of the key reasons why Maine dairy farmers have the highest pay for milk in this country. Its not high enough granted, but it is the best.

I can say part of that comes from the great members of this forum. Last year the legislature tried pulling an end run around farmers which I posted over on the Maine Forum section of this website. It was simple, I told people what the deal was and how to get in contact with their congressman. The people did just that and in a matter of days the situation was resolved.

On other forums I have been rebuffed by many that have the same cynical outlook at how maine farming occurs here, but every time other Maine farmers have stepped up and reiterated what I said. The simple truth is, we farm the unique way we do because in this topography, short growing season, high taxes and heavy regulation (some of the toughest farming regulations in the nation), only because of friends and neighbors have allowed us to do so. Unless you live here, and farm here, and truly know how unique this state is, you just don't know. I don't fault you for that at all, but Maine people certainly understand the difference between "replacement value" and "restitution". The farmer was paid restitution.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:11 AM

5,778 posts, read 6,688,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I'll elaborate on my Uncles' story...

He came home one day and there was this out of state truck parked in his driveway...not by his driveway, not near his driveway but in his driveway. That really did not impress him. So he honked on the horn over and over, but the guys never came out of the woods. So he got a stick and propped it between the seat and the horn...that got them out of the woods. He also left a note explaining that they were not wanted here.

So that night they waited by his driveway as the pile of beer cans later showed. When he came home from working, they drove up, knocked on the door and then knocked his hat off. When he stooped to pick it up, six hunters proceeded to beat him almost to death. He was unconscious anyway, and when my aunt got home she thought he had slaughtered a deer on the front porch there was that much blood and violence.

So as this 62 year old guy was in the hospital, the school bus driver said he saw the truck and described it. Later people said they were from a few towns away. Asking some fellow farmers there, they told us where their hunting cabin was. We called the police and went right over. It was a bit of an issue because we got pinned between the hunters and the SWAT team as they were arrested, which was funny unto itself. Our brave SWAT team was shaking so bad their slings rattled on their mounts. We weren't scared a bit...just hunters really...

Anyway a detective friend of the family told us "do you want us to take care of this issue, or are you going to?" He then shrugged his shoulders and said, "We won't do anything about it, but we won't do anything to you if you do." We knew what he meant.

So anyway the District Attorney later dropped the charges saying their was no evidence despite the DNA found on the pile of beer cans as they waited that night for my uncle. In the end my Uncle won a bunch of money in a civil suit for the violence, and for some reason their hunting cabin burned to the ground...twice. So did a couple of their pick-ups. Mice in the heater core I guess.

I guess you got to watch out for yourself because some 20 year old with a badge certainly does not have the courage to protect your stuff. Its up to us to do what has to be done. Remind me again what the police, game wardens and criminal system is for?
That's the worst story I've ever heard. I don't think - at least have never heard of that happening here. I know of one hunter with a reputation for drinking who shot his own ear off climbing off a tree stand and using his gun as a cane (he lived, thanks to his buddy), and another who was mistaken for a deer by someone in his hunting party and shot dead a few years ago.

This isn't hunting country around our farm but in the past people have hunted here, foxes and coyotes. We don't allow hunting and now we have the occasional deer hiding out, something we don't tell anyone about as I like animals. Like foxes and coyotes too. They help keep down the rabbits and gophers.

I'm not totally against hunting. I just don't see the joy in it. I see the necessity of it sometimes and we eat game on a regular basis courtesy of hunters in the family.

The best story I ever heard was a guy about twenty years ago who was beating his dog with his shotgun and the gun went off and killed the man. Poetic justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living