Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times

Advertisements

I deer hunted for about 20 years in Northern Minnesota and found it quite enjoyable. When I started my dairy farm, I sold the gun and gave it up ( couldn't get away for 2-3 days)

Today, deer are plentifull in my area of central MN, but I have no desire to hunt the way the locals do.

I enjoyed picking out a good stand, and spending time in it waiting.
The local deer hunting seems to be done by groups of 10-12 who have np patience to sit and make drives from sun rise to sunset.

Lots of shots fired,lots of wounded deer cuz most shots are taken at deer that are chased.

Normal farm neighbors who act sensible the rest of the year, go totally beserk when they are out " chasing" deer.

A boy about 30 miles from me got shot in the leg as a his group was making a deer drive of a field of tall,standing corn.

Yesterday ,a sheriff car came in my yard and asked if I knew who was hunting in a field across the driveway of mine. I don't own that, but she said a shotgun slug had gone completely thru the mobile home on the crest of a hill.

Many of my neighbors who don't hunt are no longer giving deer hunting permission cuz they said one guy asks for permission,and on opening morning 5-6 trucks pull in and the deer drives begin with lots of shooting, lots of missed shots, and maybe 1 deer taken.

Yes, "party hunting" is legal in Minnesota, but it sure isn't the type of hunting I emjoyed in Northern Minnesota.

( end of rant )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 03:18 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,746 times
Some one (a non hunter) told me that in Maine now they have this new law where only 3 hunters can be in 100 acres. I am not sure if that is true or not, but yesterday the Game Wardens were flying overhead in small single engine planes doing circle after circle looking for hunters. (Where I live has the highest deer population in the state :-( )

I am with you though. One 86 year old lady have a round go through her trailer, another neighbor had a bullet land in a tree beside his head, and one guy in town died. Now this is all in MY TOWN...imagine what the stats would be if I went by county or state!!

We always allowed hunting up until last year. When some nasty hunters blocked in our driveways and then beat up my Uncle when he told them to leave, and after ruts started appearing in fields and finally a hunter started yelling at kids who had permission to be on my land...enough was enough. We told EVERYONE hunt somewhere else and it has been peaceful ever since. We should have started that practice 50 years ago.

Deer hunters just got stupid..

Now notice I said deer hunters, we allow coyote, coon, rabbit, turkey hunters and trappers and have never had an issue.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:50 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Those are horrible stories!!! Of course not all hunters are guilty. My husband hunts. With want we own and what we lease to hunt, he has about 1000 acres.

As far as wounded deer getting away. The fact is they are still in the food chain. Other animals have to eat too.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:49 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,902 times
Guess no one ever taught them how to stop a running Deer.There is so many around here in the woods it might as well be a Drive.It sure helps me by others pushingt them.

I plan on killing 6 and quiting.Two of them will be for Christmas Presents.

Big thing around here now is stealing Guns,Stands and Deer Carts.

hillman

Old 11-10-2009, 09:07 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Another thing that irked a guy-------giving permission to a neighbor to hunt.

When is nephew later asked, the uncle said there was plenty room for more hunters.

When the nephew arrived, he found the first guy put up "no hunting signs" and tried to kick him out.

Driller1 mentioned--leasing

Yes, when you lease hunting land,you then have control over it and can linit other hunters

When you ask permission to hunt, you do not have control over that land.

Seems many people presume getting permission to hunt is the same as leasing that land.

It is not.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:20 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Another thing that irked a guy-------giving permission to a neighbor to hunt.

When is nephew later asked, the uncle said there was plenty room for more hunters.

When the nephew arrived, he found the first guy put up "no hunting signs" and tried to kick him out.

Driller1 mentioned--leasing

Yes, when you lease hunting land,you then have control over it and can linit other hunters

When you ask permission to hunt, you do not have control over that land.

Seems many people presume getting permission to hunt is the same as leasing that land.

It is not.
On the land that is leased we have a contract. It is filed with the county each year, just like a sale. Getting it in writing is the ONLY way to go.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
MY father in law gets twelve tags for deer which allow him to relieve the overpopulation of deer on his property. Since he does not hunt, he allows a couple people come on to his property to take care of the deer.

He has had two problems. First, the people who he gives the tags to never show up and the deer population grown larger.

Second, he has had to chase others off of his land. These guys claimed that they had permission to hunt on the land from my father in law's brother. The only problem is that the brother has been dead for ten years.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:47 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
Wow, those are really awful stories. When we lived down South, we used to hear about "running leases" when the property owner or Game warden showed up, hunters started a-running.

Here we have a few out-of-state trespassers, but mostly the owners - when they find them - tell them to get the hell off. Since usually they are carrying themselves, there is no argument. The locals all know each other and this year we had 20 young (pre-teen) kids in a Hunter Safety course (required if you are under 18). I have allowed several teens I know to hunt my land, and they are very polite and ask every time before they come on the property, don't trash it or tear it up - one is a bowhunter and silent, has brought me 2 deer (he kept the heads) and a turkey (his mom doesn't like wildkill)this past year. The laws here against trespassing are stringent, but since there is very little LE, the owners pretty much enforce things themselves. We live on the edge of a town and no houses or people here have been shot. But pretty much everyone carries and enforces the law, especially on their own property. The few out-of-staters who get out of line soon don't even have a place to stay; the cabins and motels won't rent to them. The rest get permission. It seems like some people don't seem to understand that there is no un-owned land; and, even on Federal land, there are rules.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:25 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,746 times
I'll elaborate on my Uncles' story...

He came home one day and there was this out of state truck parked in his driveway...not by his driveway, not near his driveway but in his driveway. That really did not impress him. So he honked on the horn over and over, but the guys never came out of the woods. So he got a stick and propped it between the seat and the horn...that got them out of the woods. He also left a note explaining that they were not wanted here.

So that night they waited by his driveway as the pile of beer cans later showed. When he came home from working, they drove up, knocked on the door and then knocked his hat off. When he stooped to pick it up, six hunters proceeded to beat him almost to death. He was unconscious anyway, and when my aunt got home she thought he had slaughtered a deer on the front porch there was that much blood and violence.

So as this 62 year old guy was in the hospital, the school bus driver said he saw the truck and described it. Later people said they were from a few towns away. Asking some fellow farmers there, they told us where their hunting cabin was. We called the police and went right over. It was a bit of an issue because we got pinned between the hunters and the SWAT team as they were arrested, which was funny unto itself. Our brave SWAT team was shaking so bad their slings rattled on their mounts. We weren't scared a bit...just hunters really...

Anyway a detective friend of the family told us "do you want us to take care of this issue, or are you going to?" He then shrugged his shoulders and said, "We won't do anything about it, but we won't do anything to you if you do." We knew what he meant.

So anyway the District Attorney later dropped the charges saying their was no evidence despite the DNA found on the pile of beer cans as they waited that night for my uncle. In the end my Uncle won a bunch of money in a civil suit for the violence, and for some reason their hunting cabin burned to the ground...twice. So did a couple of their pick-ups. Mice in the heater core I guess.

I guess you got to watch out for yourself because some 20 year old with a badge certainly does not have the courage to protect your stuff. Its up to us to do what has to be done. Remind me again what the police, game wardens and criminal system is for?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:46 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I'll elaborate on my Uncles' story...

He came home one day and there was this out of state truck parked in his driveway...not by his driveway, not near his driveway but in his driveway. That really did not impress him. So he honked on the horn over and over, but the guys never came out of the woods. So he got a stick and propped it between the seat and the horn...that got them out of the woods. He also left a note explaining that they were not wanted here.

So that night they waited by his driveway as the pile of beer cans later showed. When he came home from working, they drove up, knocked on the door and then knocked his hat off. When he stooped to pick it up, six hunters proceeded to beat him almost to death. He was unconscious anyway, and when my aunt got home she thought he had slaughtered a deer on the front porch there was that much blood and violence.

So as this 62 year old guy was in the hospital, the school bus driver said he saw the truck and described it. Later people said they were from a few towns away. Asking some fellow farmers there, they told us where their hunting cabin was. We called the police and went right over. It was a bit of an issue because we got pinned between the hunters and the SWAT team as they were arrested, which was funny unto itself. Our brave SWAT team was shaking so bad their slings rattled on their mounts. We weren't scared a bit...just hunters really...

Anyway a detective friend of the family told us "do you want us to take care of this issue, or are you going to?" He then shrugged his shoulders and said, "We won't do anything about it, but we won't do anything to you if you do." We knew what he meant.

So anyway the District Attorney later dropped the charges saying their was no evidence despite the DNA found on the pile of beer cans as they waited that night for my uncle. In the end my Uncle won a bunch of money in a civil suit for the violence, and for some reason their hunting cabin burned to the ground...twice. So did a couple of their pick-ups. Mice in the heater core I guess.

I guess you got to watch out for yourself because some 20 year old with a badge certainly does not have the courage to protect your stuff. Its up to us to do what has to be done. Remind me again what the police, game wardens and criminal system is for?
What do you expect out of people raised on video games and totally desensetized to violence ?

Many/ most people walking around under 45 or so are, quite litterally, insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living