Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:41 PM

784 posts, read 2,729,819 times

Advertisements

As someone who was born and raised in NYC (and still lives here now), I was just curious as to the opinions of small-town America towards the big cities and people that live in them. Also, what are the stereotypes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 09:53 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
What, are you seeking to start an incredible fight here?

There's no way you city folk or us country folk could ever list all the stereotypes ....

I know people who think that they've reached the unwashed wilderness if they're more than a few minutes away from Gramercy Park, and think that the countryside must be just more of the same trees and lawns as are in the city, but without the ready access to fine dining, bars, theaters, and other quality entertainment.

By the same token, there are a lot of NYC people who own 2nd homes upstate (or in other states in the area) and know what it's like to be in rural areas. The NYC exodus on weekends is pretty brutal at times, isn't it, starting on Friday afternoons? There's got to be reasons why so many NYC'ers do this ....

Perhaps you'd like to focus this thread on a more specific concern instead?

Old 11-16-2009, 06:09 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,746 times
Home is home...that is the bottom line.

I see a lot of city folk moving out in rural areas based simply on this view of society that rural areas and suburbia means you have made it. In reality many of the city dwellers are quite content in the city. I don't blame any of them for trying something new, but I sure wish when they decide that city life was for them all along, that they would not say, "we had to leave the rural scene as that town was so closed minded", when in fact they just prefer city living.

They can't say that though because as a whole society looks down upon city life...and it should not be that way at all. People should feel free to live where they are happy, not where society tells them they would be happy. I just wish more people that try rural life, and do not like it, would have the fortitude to say how it really is. "We are moving back because we liked city living better."

Everyone would be so much better off if they simply evaluated their relationships, families and lifestyles and made moving decisions based on that rather then what society feels is best.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:28 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Many of the city people who head " up north" on weekends to their lake cabins say they would love to live/move there if there were jobs.( Minnesota)

Most week end getaway places are in no danger of being over run with permanent residents due to lack of employment.

The church I attend is near several lakes. From Memorial day til Labor Day they add an extra mass on Sundays.

All 3 masses on the weekend are quite full. The " lake people" are a great asset to that small farming community and participate in the services and are very generous $$$ to their summer place of worship.

The generosity of the summer lake /weekend people helps the church pay its bills .

Old 11-16-2009, 07:37 AM

I don't think people in my area think badly about people from a big city ( many of their relatives moved there for a job)

I don't think residents of a big city think badly of rural areas. ( many move there once they start drawing retirement checks )

Old 11-16-2009, 11:41 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,902 times
I use to travel with a Guy that was scared to death of the city.He thought people there was just sick.Got a room in Chicago one time he slep in the Vehical with his Pistol all night.I told him why get a room if you not going to use it?

Had to do my Laundry there.He asked if I wanted him to go with me? I told him no I hadn't been in a good fight in a long time.I went did my Laundry and found a Bar had a good time.

I guess I'm adaptable can fit in anywhere.I've been away from Traffic so long it would take me awhile to adjust.

hillman

Old 11-16-2009, 12:56 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
As someone who was born and raised in NYC (and still lives here now), I was just curious as to the opinions of small-town America towards the big cities and people that live in them. Also, what are the stereotypes?
Most people in small towns,unless they are close enough to big cities, to have a lot of week-enders or second homes around, don't even give the matter any thought.

They just live where they live.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:08 PM

788 posts, read 1,741,322 times
I grew up in a small town in wyo but was fascinated with the big cities as a kid - i moved to one out of college and formed the theory that people are people and generally have the same types of attributes wherever you live. I did move back to my hometown last year and feel lucky that I only have to drive 5 min to get to work I hated the commute....30 min to drive 10 miles. What I dislike most about the small towns is the gossip.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:52 PM

252 posts, read 732,782 times
I think that (no matter what they say) country folk are impressed with city stuff.....and, no matter what they say, city folk romanticize a place in the country.

Otherwise, mixed up in a pot, you can't pick out a country person in a stew of city people(and vice versa).....more than 1 time out of 10.

Last edited by roots'nbulbs; 11-17-2009 at 03:11 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
I grew up in a small town in wyo but was fascinated with the big cities as a kid - i moved to one out of college and formed the theory that people are people and generally have the same types of attributes wherever you live. I did move back to my hometown last year and feel lucky that I only have to drive 5 min to get to work I hated the commute....30 min to drive 10 miles. What I dislike most about the small towns is the gossip.
--- "What I dislike most about the small towns is the gossip "--

Don't have a lifestyle that makes your life worthy to be included in the town gossip.

Problem solved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living