U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:38 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,512,477 times

Advertisements

My family and I want to move to the country, as soon as spring, problem is we don't know where to go. We are looking for mountains, trees, openness, seasons,what we don't want is desert. we want to be able to be kind of close to a major city, we are willing to commute for work. any ideas? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 10:15 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,537,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
My family and I want to move to the country, as soon as spring, problem is we don't know where to go. We are looking for mountains, trees, openness, seasons,what we don't want is desert. we want to be able to be kind of close to a major city, we are willing to commute for work. any ideas? thanks
Well, there isn't a whole lot to go on here...
First, some questions:

What state(s) are you interested in?
What type of work do you do, or plan to do?
Which major cities are you considering being close to?
How far are you willing to commute (in time and miles), and how (bus, car, train, etc.)?
When you say "seasons," what do you mean - a few inches of snow two or three times a year, or snow on the ground from November to April?
What type of weather conditions are you looking for, or are there any weather conditions you prefer to avoid?

The answers to these questions will help people on this forum help you to find somewhere to look.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Well, there isn't a whole lot to go on here...
First, some questions:

What state(s) are you interested in?
What type of work do you do, or plan to do?
Which major cities are you considering being close to?
How far are you willing to commute (in time and miles), and how (bus, car, train, etc.)?
When you say "seasons," what do you mean - a few inches of snow two or three times a year, or snow on the ground from November to April?
What type of weather conditions are you looking for, or are there any weather conditions you prefer to avoid?

The answers to these questions will help people on this forum help you to find somewhere to look.
ok first we are looking at anything out west, but no desert. well high desert is ok just no arizona desert. wiling to travel 45 minutes to an hour to work. we are in social work, any major cities. by seasons I mean clearly defined seasons such as real spring, fall is important to me with nice colors, warm summers, and a few inches of snow. want to avoid extreme heat. thank you

Old 11-18-2009, 09:29 PM

380 posts, read 1,013,384 times
Take a look at the eastern panhandle of WV, Shepherdstown, Harpers Ferry, etc. Four distinct seasons, minimal snow, trees, openess, plenty of employment.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:18 PM

9,583 posts, read 17,764,982 times
Major cities in the Rocky Mountain west that aren't surrounded by desert would be Denver and Salt Lake City. Lots of places within an hour commute of them. Otherwise you're looking at the west coast -- California, Oregon or Washington. Waaaaaay too many places to suggest until you narrow it down a little more.

Now if you wanted to consider smaller cities rather than only major cities -- that opens it up a whole bunch. If cities over 50,000 were big enough, then you could add Rapid City, SD, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and maybe Reno, NV to your search area.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Major cities in the Rocky Mountain west that aren't surrounded by desert would be Denver and Salt Lake City. Lots of places within an hour commute of them. Otherwise you're looking at the west coast -- California, Oregon or Washington. Waaaaaay too many places to suggest until you narrow it down a little more.

Now if you wanted to consider smaller cities rather than only major cities -- that opens it up a whole bunch. If cities over 50,000 were big enough, then you could add Rapid City, SD, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and maybe Reno, NV to your search area.
well i want to live in or near a small town but be close enough to a large town if i cant find work. i am looking at oregon and colorado but not denver possibly colorado springs area.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:00 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
First find out where you can find work.

You can't eat the scenery.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:46 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,451,174 times
If you want to maybe go east try New Jersey. You can live 30 min to an hour outside of Philly and still be able to commute there fairly easily. For NYC, it's a longer commute. As for the west coast I don't know much, try the Seatle area?

Old 11-28-2009, 03:36 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,436,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
How about some of the small towns in the Midwest within driving distance of a big city such as Kansas City, Omaha, or Des Moines? These areas need new folks and are friendly places to live. Home prices there are very reasonable too. Would advise lining up a job first though.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,496 times
where are you looking. Believe it or not, southern nj is a great place. near so much, and truly the garden part of the state. There is a tiny county called Salem county where the countryside is beautiful and taxes are still decent. I saw a house on acreage that is stunning – in alloway, nj. check it out- I think it was on 18 acres (a lot wooded), was a dream home with gardens, an incredible barn/workshop, tidal water, and pasture. The home is only 5 years old but feels like old world charm without the headache. You can probably look on the MLS to see it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living