U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:20 AM

603 posts, read 1,773,481 times

Advertisements

I currently live in ny(long island,yuck)and am putting the house up for sale hopefully in a year or two.I've always wanted to be in the country,not necessarily in the boonies where i'd have to travel two hours to get somewhere.I still need to work so i'd need to be within reasonable distance to a bigger city.I probably wouldn't want to drive more than 30 minutes to work.I have a lot of pets so i definately want acreage and privacy.I could probably touch my neighbors house here,everyones on top of each other and i can't stand it anymore.It takes 20 minutes to drive somewhere that should take 10 but because of how congested this place is theres always a gross amount of traffic.People are very rude and drive like maniacs.I just hate it.Always have.Im young but i'm not a big party person.Of course i'd like to be near stores and some restaurants.I don't need a place where theres a deli on every corner or stripmalls with the same big box stores.I want a small town feel where theres a sense of community.A safe place to maybe raise a family one day.

I've been fortunate enough to have worked with animals,something i love and couldn't imagine not doing.I have experience in veterinary hospitals and i'm currently working for a town run municipal shelter.I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to do the same work elsewhere.

I need change of seasons.The south and midwest are very appealing due to their lower cost of living and beautiful scenery but i need the fall!I can't live somewhere where its 75 degrees on Christmas morning.I know the further north i go the more snow i'll see every year.I'd rather deal with snow then warm weather all year.In my perfect world it would be spring and fall all year long!

My dream home is an old farmhouse with a big old porch loaded with character.I absolutely LOVE old homes.I'd love a pond or a creek.I've been browsing online for a long time and i know what i want is out there.I just have to be realistic and find a place where i could find employment.

If anyone could offer me ANY advice or suggestions i'd appreciate it.Theres so many places to consider and i need help.You all live the lifestyle i hope to live soon so i figured this was the best place to ask.

God bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 AM

3,359 posts, read 11,025,995 times
Here's my suggestion -

Rather than trying to find the perfect spot at the moment, I'd concentrate at this point on training to survive in this type of environment. By that I mean taking classes or getting certified as a pet groomer, veterinary technician, service dog trainer, or your choice. There are few jobs in the country and you may have to create your own.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:08 AM

967 posts, read 2,733,140 times
Dog,

Being from NY, I can empathize with your plight. Although I left NY for the military, I had always wanted to return. I searched upstate, but found taxes and pollution to be more than I wanted. I'm relatively young at 40, have two young boys- so I too need to be semi close to a population center. My wife and I searched for years- NH, ME, NY, PA, MT, ID, WY, and KY. What I found was in SE West Virginia. The land is very inexpensive, the people are very friendly and polite, the cities aren't too big- but offer a variety of restaurants and services. The look and feel is similar to upstate NY. The air and water are the cleanest in the Nation and property taxes are very low. We love it!

Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 AM

hey hinton thanks for the reply.Ive looked upstate too and their home prices are affordable but i worry about the taxes,like you did.How is the weather down there?Does it ever snow down there?This is going to be such a big move,and hopefully the last,so i want to get it right.I've heard that West Virginia is the sticks but i've never really researched it and as you know everyone in NY feels that every other state is boring and nothing but rednecks,etc.I can't stand that.There is life outside of NY!Thank you for sharing your experience.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:38 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
I currently live in ny(long island,yuck)and am putting the house up for sale hopefully in a year or two.I've always wanted to be in the country,not necessarily in the boonies where i'd have to travel two hours to get somewhere.I still need to work so i'd need to be within reasonable distance to a bigger city.I probably wouldn't want to drive more than 30 minutes to work.I have a lot of pets so i definately want acreage and privacy.I could probably touch my neighbors house here,everyones on top of each other and i can't stand it anymore.It takes 20 minutes to drive somewhere that should take 10 but because of how congested this place is theres always a gross amount of traffic.People are very rude and drive like maniacs.I just hate it.Always have.Im young but i'm not a big party person.Of course i'd like to be near stores and some restaurants.I don't need a place where theres a deli on every corner or stripmalls with the same big box stores.I want a small town feel where theres a sense of community.A safe place to maybe raise a family one day.

I've been fortunate enough to have worked with animals,something i love and couldn't imagine not doing.I have experience in veterinary hospitals and i'm currently working for a town run municipal shelter.I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to do the same work elsewhere.

I need change of seasons.The south and midwest are very appealing due to their lower cost of living and beautiful scenery but i need the fall!I can't live somewhere where its 75 degrees on Christmas morning.I know the further north i go the more snow i'll see every year.I'd rather deal with snow then warm weather all year.In my perfect world it would be spring and fall all year long!

My dream home is an old farmhouse with a big old porch loaded with character.I absolutely LOVE old homes.I'd love a pond or a creek.I've been browsing online for a long time and i know what i want is out there.I just have to be realistic and find a place where i could find employment.

If anyone could offer me ANY advice or suggestions i'd appreciate it.Theres so many places to consider and i need help.You all live the lifestyle i hope to live soon so i figured this was the best place to ask.

God bless!

----" I still need to work----"

Kinda risky putting your house up for sale without a job lined up.

You better hope that sale of your house nets you enough tp re-locate and pay for your living until you find a job.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:08 PM

7,093 posts, read 11,401,992 times
Have you considered western RI? It's close to civilization but very rural and ridiculously cheap now. Look on RILiving.com for Foster, Glocester, Exeter.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:57 PM

My house isn't going to sell the day i put it on the market.And i'm not going to move somewhere without a job,i am not an idiot!I'm simply trying to research my next move.I figured this is a good place to get suggestions.

No i have not even thought of Rhode Island,thanks for the suggestion!I'll check it out.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:02 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,451,174 times
Try New Jersey. South Jersey or North West Jersey are VERY rural. I live near farms (most of the people in my school, including my self, are connected to those same farms) and am only 45 min from Philly and 30 min from A.C.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:26 AM

31,148 posts, read 50,323,277 times
Most of Maine is rural.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:00 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Most of Maine is rural.

Although you have stated your property taxes in Maine are very low, why do others on different forums warn people about the high property taxes in Maine ?

Is your property an abnormality or are the many other Maine people's taxes an abnormality ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living