U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:54 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,903,556 times

Advertisements

This town has almost no alternate way to get around and the state seems to be very car oriented. This is the one thing which plagues me moving from socal. My car got stolen and parted out a few years before and I didn't replace it there. Busses are hardly the best transportation but they will eventually get you there. Here, I am going to have to figure out how to afford a car.

But I love the way its small and friendly and quiet, but if you go to Stillwater, maybe a half hour? you can get to most of the chains. It was fun yesterday to go there with a friend who just moved there. But I don't know if it appeals to me as a place to live, since I really wanted OUT of surburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 10:03 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,422,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestemor View Post
Okay, so you moved from the city to escape crowds, traffic, and noise, to a place way out in the country and now you want to move back to city--what changed your mind?
Wife and I grew up in the middle of the city, moved to a town of 1,000 30 miles out in the country when very young. It was great--virtually no crime, good small school, kids could be in all activities they wanted, enough local shopping for basics, good people.

Now we have money to go to restaurants, bookstores, theater, arts...and kids all grew up. Thinking about a suburban townhouse or condo or apartment, close to the action but far from inner-city crime.

For us it is all about demographics.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:05 PM

106 posts, read 209,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfgrievous View Post
Nobody here is without a car thats why most of you are happy try being 8 miles away from town without a vehicle
Been there, done that, rode a bike. Personally I'm happy because I realize I am the only one in control of my life. That choice is always yours. If you don't like where you live, move. Every excuse has a solution.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:35 PM

897 posts, read 1,483,432 times
A few years back i moved from Roswell,Georgia(10 minutes or so from Atlanta)to Turtletown in rural Polk County,Tennessee. I absolutely hated it,it was so boring. I had to drive 15-20 miles to go to the store or to get a haircut.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:16 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,960,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
A few years back i moved from Roswell,Georgia(10 minutes or so from Atlanta)to Turtletown in rural Polk County,Tennessee. I absolutely hated it,it was so boring. I had to drive 15-20 miles to go to the store or to get a haircut.
Seven miles to the nearest gas station, convenience store and cafe. Eighteern miles to the closest grocery store and Lowe's. Twenty-five miles to all the rest of major shopping. Sixty miles to the closest city of any size.

Bored? Not hardly. On the shore of a 43,100 acre lake with squirrels, chipmunks, foxes, opposoms, skunks, deer, coyotes, cardinals, blue jays and blue birds, goldfinches, loons, turkey buzzards, geese, bald eagles and more. Looking out the windows or merely stepping outside is revitalizing. So, too, is the peace, quiet and solitude, along with the natural beauty.

How could one be bored?

Old 04-20-2010, 08:55 PM

203 posts, read 625,835 times
I don't hate living in a more rural area at all, but I do miss the city. Some background on me: Grew up in the SF Bay area and before we moved to Wyoming lived by the beach in San Diego County.

The positives for more rural life are:

1. People and community. These are huge positives. It is nice to go to the store and see someone you know. People are so nice here that when they are doing road construction, people wave hi to the workers and if they have to stop and wait end up having conversations. Also when you drive on the highway people wave hi to random strangers passing in the other direction.

2. Knowing your neighbors. Our neighbors take turn taking each other garbage out and taking it back in, no set order just whoever gets to it first. During the blizzards, my neighbors came to help us dig out and vice versa.

3. Being treated right. In town, people don't really want to screw others over because word gets out.

those are just a few positive but there are many more.

Some of the cons are: (these pertain to my town and area and can vary for others)

1. Small town gossip. You have no privacy, everyone knows what you are up to. If you think you have any secrets, sorry you don't.

2. Lack of amenities-I have read some post about for others where it is 25 miles to major shopping. For me it is 140 miles to the nearest Target, Best Buy, and mediocre mall. Almost 400 miles to a major city. Online shopping is my friend. We have a movie theatre in town but we don't get some movies until later or even at all. I did miss these things especially on cold winter days when it is 4 degrees outside, windy and snowing.

3. Travel- My town has an airport that flies to 2 places-Salt Lake City or Denver. The flights aren't cheap and you are limited to 2 airlines and flying on propeller puddle jumpers. Last Christmas we went to Jamaica and decided to fly out of Denver instead of my town directly. Good thing we did, because a blizzard was coming and we decided to leave for Denver a day early before the roads closed.

I have friends here that grew up here, love it here, and always want to live here. I think if you grew up in the city, it can be some adjustment.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:11 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,960,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septocaine_queen View Post
I don't hate living in a more rural area at all, but I do miss the city. Some background on me: Grew up in the SF Bay area and before we moved to Wyoming lived by the beach in San Diego County.

The positives for more rural life are:

1. People and community. These are huge positives. It is nice to go to the store and see someone you know. People are so nice here that when they are doing road construction, people wave hi to the workers and if they have to stop and wait end up having conversations. Also when you drive on the highway people wave hi to random strangers passing in the other direction.

2. Knowing your neighbors. Our neighbors take turn taking each other garbage out and taking it back in, no set order just whoever gets to it first. During the blizzards, my neighbors came to help us dig out and vice versa.

3. Being treated right. In town, people don't really want to screw others over because word gets out.

those are just a few positive but there are many more.

Some of the cons are: (these pertain to my town and area and can vary for others)

1. Small town gossip. You have no privacy, everyone knows what you are up to. If you think you have any secrets, sorry you don't.

2. Lack of amenities-I have read some post about for others where it is 25 miles to major shopping. For me it is 140 miles to the nearest Target, Best Buy, and mediocre mall. Almost 400 miles to a major city. Online shopping is my friend. We have a movie theatre in town but we don't get some movies until later or even at all. I did miss these things especially on cold winter days when it is 4 degrees outside, windy and snowing.

3. Travel- My town has an airport that flies to 2 places-Salt Lake City or Denver. The flights aren't cheap and you are limited to 2 airlines and flying on propeller puddle jumpers. Last Christmas we went to Jamaica and decided to fly out of Denver instead of my town directly. Good thing we did, because a blizzard was coming and we decided to leave for Denver a day early before the roads closed.

I have friends here that grew up here, love it here, and always want to live here. I think if you grew up in the city, it can be some adjustment.
I'm with you. Yes, there are inconveniences but the people more than make up for them. An example. DMVs here are privately run under license by the state. A typical office has about three people in it. The closest one to us is 20 miles and 40+ minutes away through the woods. We've been there three times since moving here and the last time we went to pick up personalized plates they remembered us.

It's the same with neighbors. They've given us the fine points of growing flowers and vegetables in this area and recommended workmen for various projects. A couple of days ago I mowed our yard and then mowed our neighbors because they're not here all the time and it could use a trim. It's just how things are done here.

We'll take the inconveniences for as long as our physical health permits it. If we start to lose mobility we'll sell the hoouse and buy a condo nearby with less maintenance, more close-in amenities and still on the shore of the lake.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:30 PM

203 posts, read 625,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm with you. Yes, there are inconveniences but the people more than make up for them. An example. DMVs here are privately run under license by the state. A typical office has about three people in it. The closest one to us is 20 miles and 40+ minutes away through the woods. We've been there three times since moving here and the last time we went to pick up personalized plates they remembered us.
Here in Wyoming, the DMV only does driver's licenses but your car registration is done by the county clerk. Each county has a number and your license plate tells people which county in Wyoming the car is registered in. I live in Campbell County which is number 17 so my license plate is 17-3745. It does help distinguish who is local and not.

I had totally the same experience getting my drivers license. No appointment needed only 3 people working, no lines.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:57 AM

15,584 posts, read 7,661,523 times
I think it's important to realize, appreciate and take advantage of the benefits of wherever you choose to live. Sometimes it can be boring not living walking distance from social and entertainment types of things. The flip side is, I never get awaken by sirens, traffic or loud neighbors. I never have to look for a parking spot or have to take everything valuable out of my car and lock the doors when I get home. I'm sure my counterparts in the city enjoy the conveniences.

I go to a lot of the same places that the urban dwellers do. I just have to do a little driving and plan ahead. Nice to get some of both. Most of the time, I'm fine with it.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:00 PM

7,938 posts, read 16,460,876 times
The annoying thing with the private companies being in charge of driver's licenses when we were in rural TN were the inconvenient hours. I want to say it was something like 'Go to the Woodmen of the World office in Dresden between 9am and noon on a Tuesday or Thursday, and there will probably be someone there to help you unless the office clerk has been called out to handle insurance company business.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living