U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:32 PM

23,440 posts, read 32,183,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The annoying thing with the private companies being in charge of driver's licenses when we were in rural TN were the inconvenient hours. I want to say it was something like 'Go to the Woodmen of the World office in Dresden between 9am and noon on a Tuesday or Thursday, and there will probably be someone there to help you unless the office clerk has been called out to handle insurance company business.'
I grew up in a very small town south of St Louis, the DMV was only open every other Monday.
My 16th birthday fell right before Lincoln's and Washingtons Birthdays, (on Mondays, of course) so it took me an extra month to get my drivers license.....thought I was gonna die!
BTW, cant wait to move back to that same small town, even if the DMV is still operated by a private company!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 11,453 times
I've spent the past 6 years living in big (well, by my province's standards) cities while I attended university. I've recently moved back to my hometown of 10,000.

Pros:
It's a quiet, safe place where people are friendly. The town itself is very pretty. I live close to my family again and appreciate being able to spend time with them. The cost of living is lower. I also appreciate little things like not having to pay for parking and being able to get everywhere in a reasonable amount of time. My impression is that life in a smaller town is more laid back and relaxed. Having grown up here, I know it's a great place to raise a family. The town is a reasonable distance from bigger cities.

Cons:
My social life here is virtually nonexistent. It's difficult to meet people here because there isn't much to do. It can get boring and lonely. I also value my privacy a lot, and I hate that everyone knows everyone's business. I miss just being a face in the crowd. It's also quite a conservative town and while that generally doesn't present problems in day-to-day life, just the principle of it irks me!

I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it here. I think it's a trade-off. I'm not sure if I'll stay here in the long term or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living