Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,850 times

Advertisements

Nobody here is without a car thats why most of you are happy try being 8 miles away from town without a vehicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 01:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
In once lived in Boston and hated every second of it. A city is a place you can be with out a car.

In a rural place you need a fleet of cars, trucks and other. You don't just call a plumber, or a carpenter either, and not even a mechanic. It pretty much goes with out saying to live rural yoy need to be all of that and a lot more.

Locals test you to see if you are going to be helpless, or fit in and pull your own weight with surplus. If there is 6 feet of snow in your driveway that's your problem.

If your furnace quits and you don't have a back up wood stove that's your problem too.

If there is a bad storm and the power is out 3 weeks don't bother to call and tell the power company you have no service, they know that too.

Rural people have that happen all the time and they don't call anyone because they have a back up plan.

I get very ammused by city people on the phone whining to the local radio, saying everything in the fridge is warming with no power on, and all they need is a box and the ice from just outside the door...

Rural life isn't simple or easy, quite the reverse.. We are Independant and don't want city trash pick up, and slews of common things cities have. We don't need buses and trollys none of that works in winter. Where you see trollys is a summer gig just for city people.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:35 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
In our rural area, power companies want you to call and report power outages.

Sometimes those outages are very localized and w/o someone reporting it, they would not know about it.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesssss View Post
The people in small towns are closed minded and clannish-if you are not from here and don't work at the school, your children don't get treated as well.
Why have I never noticed that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfgrievous View Post
Nobody here is without a car thats why most of you are happy try being 8 miles away from town without a vehicle
Try living in a city without a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

In a rural place you need a fleet of cars, trucks and other. You don't just call a plumber, or a carpenter either, and not even a mechanic. It pretty much goes with out saying to live rural yoy need to be all of that and a lot more.

Locals test you to see if you are going to be helpless, or fit in and pull your own weight with surplus. If there is 6 feet of snow in your driveway that's your problem.

If your furnace quits and you don't have a back up wood stove that's your problem too.

If there is a bad storm and the power is out 3 weeks don't bother to call and tell the power company you have no service, they know that too.

Rural people have that happen all the time and they don't call anyone because they have a back up plan.

Rural life isn't simple or easy, quite the reverse.. We are Independant and don't want city trash pick up, and slews of common things cities have. We don't need buses and trollys none of that works in winter. Where you see trollys is a summer gig just for city people.
I own a car and a truck. But I got along fine for six years with just the truck. I call plumbers, carpenters, and mechanics, not to mention an electrician, with no problem.

If I had six feet of snow in my driveway (about a quarter-mile), I imagine my neighbors would have the same.

When there's a power failure, Rocky Mountain Power is very diligent in getting it restored. Of course I have backup heat, electricity as well. But that's just as important in a city.

Once each week, a private garbage truck grinds up a steep and twisty gravel road and then my private road. All the the trash company requires of me is a place to turn around. I don't know anyone who doesn't have trash service.

There was a bus in town; but it was dropped because virtually no one rode it. There is a taxi at the present time. In summer there is a bus that looks like a trolley for city tours.

Whether it's the biggest city or the wilderness, quality of life depends upon what you are willing or able to pay for it.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 04-10-2010 at 07:43 PM..

Old 04-11-2010, 04:52 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,296 times
I can't wait to live in a city again. Or even an outer suburb. Not a ten minute drive to a little town that is a 30 minute drive to a regional centre that is 1000km from the capital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Easy. Gladly. Have done so before.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:12 PM

252 posts, read 732,916 times
I wanted the Nebraska license plates to say, " The hell I Can't live here."

Apropos, much of the time, here in the sticks....and, it feels good.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:10 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
I hated it and moved back to the action. The main reason was there was not enough mental stimulation plus visual stimuation for me. I felt like I was becoming that movie the Shining! I need to see things and have my mind stimulated , could not do that with just trees!!

Old 04-16-2010, 03:50 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times
I am SOOOO HAPPY living in the Country! I feel it is GOOD for the soul Living in the mountains inspires me....it's the best thing I've ever done!!!!

Old 04-16-2010, 04:57 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

That really depends on the city. Most northern East Coast cities you can do without a car, San Francisco you can exist nicely without a car. Los Angeles, Phoenix? Not hardly. I think the western part of the country is much more car dependent than the eastern half. Probably mostly due to the western metro areas being developed much later--after the auto had been invented.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:37 AM

377 posts, read 877,957 times
South East is just as dependent on cars as LA and Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living