Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 03:04 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times

Advertisements

4 or 5 acres is a lawn not a farmer. Sounds like a wanna-be farmer from the city, who doesn't know what farming is.

Maybe Marmac is right and they are breaking out because they are starving. I can't imagine a herd of cattle on 4 or 5 acres.

A pellet gun sounds about right, as another poster suggested. I'd suggest shooting to make a big noise before you start shooting for real. If you totally want to avoid a confrontation, an electric fence you set up yourself will keep them out.

I'd be really POed though and be hard-pressed not to punch him in the nose. Ricker's idea of telling him you will consider them your cows if they set one foot on your property appeals to me. You could use your electric fence to fence them into your property. Electric fencing is cheap. He wants them back, he can pay for the damage to your lawn - and a little extra - or you will sell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 03:10 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,385 times
I read the first line and said, this is a Homesteader not a farmer, and of course the breed gives it away if the acreage doesn't. Like Marmac said, they are starving. Maine and Vermont have the best pastures in the world and our stocking rate is one cow per acre per year.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:58 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,163 times
I agree with Harry - good fences.
That's the norm in my area anyway. I live near Wyo. which is a fence out state meaning livestock can go anywhere a fence doesn't stop them.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:19 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,087 times
What Broken Tap said. Can't imagine the purpose of having those mixed-breeds of cows on such small property - except the "gollygee I wanna be a farmer and they are so cuuuuute!" I just got my two bred cows and unrelated bull for the future - and we have 60 acres. Before the cows came in, the FIRST Thing we did was ride the fence line and repair all of the fencing -and put up a gate between the summer and winter pastures for rotational grazing. Those poor cattle are starving - I'd call the humane society, local veterenarian, or whomever is in charge in your area of this sort of thing, and find out what you can do to have those cattle removed. On your little piece of property, you couldn't keep them either - and if they are starving and poorly nourished, the meat wouldn't be that good either. Especially if the bull is mature, he won't be worth eating.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
In addition to all the cattle he is keeping at least one donkey on the property.

Is he still there?

Old 11-29-2009, 12:45 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
The first thing I would do is talk to an attorney who is experienced with real estate and cattle and learn the law. Some of the old laws have been changed and not grandfathered. Post NO trespassing signs on all sides. I'm very suspicious why he wants your well.

Small Claims Court is a good thing. Take plenty of pictures - especially of the lot pins and pictures of cows when they are going through the fence, and pictures of damage to your property from this cattle. And don't forget to take your witness when you go. He's is going to get tired of losing in court. If you get enough judgements against him most people won't want the house and his neighbor problems.

When his hous goes to auction at the court house, buy it for pennies on the dollar. And don't fortet to smile when you do. Then rent yours.

I am sure your city or state has nusince laws. Apply it liberally to his cattle.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:31 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I am sure your city or state has nusince laws. Apply it liberally to his cattle.
Actually most nusince laws do not apply to farmers. I know here in Maine it doesn't because we are protected under the Right to Farm Laws; an incredibly powerful piece of legislation that keeps people from doing just what you suggest.

I am not sticking up for the guy because I doubt he is really a farmer, but people should be aware of the Right to Farm Act too. We like it because it keeps cidiots from harassing us over the use of Jake Brakes on our trucks, the sound of tractors in the morning, or the smell of dairy cow manure. We have used it many times in the past, just recently when a town we farm in banned the use of Genetically Modified crops. The USDA stated we were a Right to Farm state, we dropped the planter this next spring and kept right on farming.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:40 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
What's the best way to deal with a bad farmer for a neighbor?

Have the neighbor deal with the bad farmer himself.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Most states have laws regarding fencing and the keeping of livestock. In my state, say if I have no livestock and my neighbor does then I am not required to pay for 1/2 of the fencing. If we both have livestock then we each pay 1/2 and are responsible to maintain 1/2.

I have to go with the rest of the suggestions about electric fence if you cannot force, by law, this homesteader to install a sturdy enough fence to keep in his cattle. Then, if the property does actually go to bankruptcy you could buy the property so that you don't have a similar headache with the next homesteader who happens along.

I have a neighbor who carries more animals on his small acreage than the land can support. But, he is a good fellow and poor as the land he owns. When his horses get out we just work together to put them back in and he helps with the labor to fix the fencing. I know he cannot afford to purchase fencing. And, if I had an emergency and needed help he is a good enough neighbor to lend a hand even without 2 pennies to rub together.

This new homesteader needs to learn that country folk need to be good neighbors and get along, not instigate fights...especially as the new one in the section.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:13 PM

163 posts, read 215,210 times
I don't know what your laws are there, but we have open range laws that say if you don't want someone's livestock on your place, it's your responsibility to keep them out.
I'm fairly sure that everywhere the law of half applies. That is that you are responsible at least for the half of the fence that when you are standing and looking at your neighbor's property the half of the fence that is to your right is YOUR responsiblity. Are your fences perfect? Make sure they are before going to the county prosecutor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living