U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 09:08 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times

Advertisements

The radio said 67% of the corn in Minnesota has been harvested so far compared to the 5 year average of 97 %.

Wet fields, cool temps in October causing the corn to dry down slow and delay harvest.

Many other corn belt states are running way behind schedule also.

Mud on the tar roads means you're in rural America and it is a late harvest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 09:44 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,076,045 times
Our state harvests trees and small grains. The grain harvest was good, the tree harvest was bad, thanks to the tree-hugger types who file lawsuits over every proposed timber sale.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:02 PM

5,779 posts, read 6,690,462 times
Corn had always been tricky in Manitoba and this year thanks to a cool and wet summer, there's some sort of mould that's affected all the corn from what I read in the paper. We don't raise corn so I don't know much about it.

We had larger-than-golf ball sized hail in our area and we're not in a hail belt and the hail we get is normally pea-sized. The hail this year wiped out 40% of the flax crop according to the adjuster. Thank God for the hail insurance we usually don't bother to get but somehow got this year.

The hail demolished the garden - couldn't find the onions until the green part started growing again. Shredded and broke the garden corn and potatoes. It was an awful year here to farm.

Then in September, we got the July we didn't have in July but because the ground was so wet - all that Red River valley clay - it didn't dry out enough in October which was also wet and cold. Then in November we got October and we got the rest of the flax crop it. It hadn't been worth it at that point to hire anyone to spray it to kill it.

And yesterday I spent all day fixing the fence so that we don't turn into one of those bad farmers whose livestock gets out . Today - snow on the ground! Just a sprinkling, but I'm so glad I got the fence fixed yesterday. Also hauled the last of the horse hay into the barn. My husband isn't well so I do it all on my own.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:50 PM

15,593 posts, read 7,665,383 times
Harvest is way behind in my area too. In the 10 years I lived here, it has always been done by mid November except for this year. Does it hurt the corn to stand so long before being picked?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:02 PM

I have left corn stand til spring with good results.( it was dry corn,but the fields were too wet)

The problem this year is due to the cool temps and wet fall, the corn husks haven't loosened up like they normally do .

They are starting to detect mold starting in the corn.

Also, much of the corn belt has very heavy soils that need the tillage to be done in the fall. Spring tillage is a disaster in those kind of soils.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:40 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,802 times
Naturally I feel for all farmers and know how you poor mid-western farmers feel.

Last year just prior to corn harvest we got a hurricane and then two gales back to back. There was a lot of corn left standing in the fields because the equipment could just not get to it due to all the mud. As it was we had to take a small 4X4 tractor and pull the trucks through the mud just so that the chopper could blow it into the trucks. This often meant pulling the trucks from the road, into the fields and then around the fields. All this took extra time, coordination and a lot of short tempers.

It also meant some added danger. Being on the coast, we use old tug boat line so the rope has no stretch and can withstand 400,000 psi before breaking. Other farmers used chains which was really dangerous. One tractor that was pulling a truck snapped the chain. The chain went through the tractor window and wrapped around the operators neck strangling him in a weird accident. He was life-flighted out of the fields but managed to live. Unfortunately there was some minor brain damage from the lack of oxigen while the chain was removed...still he was lucky.

Some farmers hit their corn early this year knowing that fall brings hurricanes and gales. They harvest the corn when its not ideal though. We wait until after the frost hits the corn, then dry down 60% occurs and the corn cobs go from dough to dented. That is what our cow nutritionist wants, but of course we are harvesting corn silage and mid-west farmers are harvesting just the ear.

We did good this year I guess. The rain in June-July really hit the corn hard and yield was down from a good year of 24 tons to the acre, to probably an average of 18 this year. It was not great, but we have enough feed.

Again, we have gone through what the midwestern farmers are going through now and I feel for them.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:46 AM

11,544 posts, read 26,376,274 times
We've had rain every week, floods, and cool weather since March. The cattle loved it. Corn that got planted late was lost, but the beans were better than expected. I can't imagine how bad it feels to lose 1000 acres of corn. The only good news is our rural banks still take care of our farmers come floods or drought. We have black sand soil, I don't know how much got out.in the last week as we had rain and snow on Thanksgiving.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:52 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,802 times
It was never that bad, but now that they have changed the Crop Insurance laws, it is almost impossible to comply with. Even on some uninsurable crops, you cannot make a claim unless you lose over 50% of the crop and it is impossible to harvest. Even with all the rain we got, it was harvestable so no crop insurance payments went out. In this county alone, 90% of the farmers no longer have crop insurance because of the new rules they put into place.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:41 AM

Here in central Minnesota, crop insurance won't be paying as the yields are outstanding.

It's just the hassle of fighting the elements ( and the calendar) in getting it harvested.

At least the mild temps are still allowing for tillage to get done cuz the ground isn't froxzen ( which is unusual for the end of November where I live )

Old 11-29-2009, 11:48 AM

14,810 posts, read 14,200,833 times
Same here in Nebraska. The corn harvest is even later than it was last year when it went for weeks beyond its usual finish time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living