U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:01 PM

163 posts, read 157,512 times

Advertisements

That's how it was. Don't you wish life would have stayed so simple? We didn't have a stoplight or a golf pasture though.

As for nicknames. In our community we had about a half dozen last names: Petersen, Jensen, Hansen, Christensen, Johnsen, and Olesen. Unfortunately, they were about as creative with the first names: Hans, Lars, Ole, Chris, Jens. So we could have a half dozen or more people with the same first and last names. So, everyone went by nicknames. You look up Hans Petersen in the phone book and right after the Hans would be the nickname in parenthesis.

Oh what an interesting long list of nicknames there were: Crazy Chris, Cripple Chris, Cornsheller Chris, Chicago Chris, (Because he was so windy ) ; Peter Cat Whiskers, (he had a weird moustache) ; Peter two dot, (My grand father; Deaf Hans, Laughing Hans, etc. etc.
My favorite name was "Gloves" Jensen. His son was nicknamed "Mittens."

Oh, those were the days my friend. . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 06:24 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
Same with my ancestors.

Seemed there only was a couple of first names that got used , thus many first cousins had the same name.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:13 AM

38 posts, read 29,282 times
You know you live in a rural area when--Your wind shield is muddy and you are out of wiper fluid--So you stand on your hood and urinate on the wind shield to clean. It works like a charm!!!

Old 12-09-2009, 11:33 AM

16,295 posts, read 13,783,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
SMALL TOWNS

Those who grew up in small towns will laugh when they read this.

Those who didn't, will be in disbelief and won't understand how true it is.

1) You can name everyone you graduated with.

2) You know what 4-H means.

3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, gravel pit, or in the middle of a dirt road. On Monday, you could always tell who was at the party because of the scratches on their legs from running through the woods when the party was busted. (See #6.)

4) You used to 'drag' Main.

5) You whispered the 'F' word and your parents knew within the hour.

6) You scheduled parties around the schedules of different police officers, because you knew which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't.

7) You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerks knew how old you were (and if you were old enough, they'd tell your parents anyhow.) Besides, where would you get the money?

8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to buy cigarettes, you still had to go out into the country and drive on back roads to smoke them.

9) You knew which section of the ditch you would find the beer your buyer dropped off.

10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town.

11) The whole school went to the same party after graduation.

12) You didn't give directions by street names, but rather by references. Turn by Nelson's house, go 2 blocks to Anderson's, and it's four houses left of the track field.

13) The golf course had only 9 holes.

14) You couldn't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

15) Your car stayed filthy because of the dirt roads, and you will never own a dark vehicle for this reason.

16) The town next to you was considered 'trashy' or 'snooty,' but was actually just like your town.

17) You referred to anyone with a house newer then 1955 as the 'rich' people.

18) The people in the 'big city' dressed funny, and then you picked up the trend 2 years later.

19) Anyone you wanted could be found at the local gas station or the only restaurant.

20) You saw at least one friend a week driving a tractor through town or one of your friends driving a grain truck to school occasionally.

21) The gym teacher suggested you haul hay for the summer to get stronger.

22) Directions were given using THE stop light as a reference.

23) When you decided to walk somewhere for exercise, 5 people would pull over and ask if you wanted a ride.

24) Your teachers called you by your older siblings' names.

25) Your teachers remembered when they taught your parents.

26) You could charge at any local store or write cheques without any ID.

27) There was no McDonald’s.

28) The closest mall was over an hour away. (What was a mall)?

29) It was normal to see an old man riding through town on a riding lawn mower.

30) You've pee'd in a wheat field.

31) Most people went by a nickname.

32) You laughed your butt off reading this because you know it is true, and you forward it to everyone who may have lived in a small town.

I would not have wanted to have been raised any other way!!!

Tough times don't last...

Tough people do
I so glad I didn't grow up in such a small town above since I can't relate to the majority of the points raised above.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:10 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,900,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I so glad I didn't grow up in such a small town above since I can't relate to the majority of the points raised above.
Yes, it was a terrible way to grow up...we barely survived. It was obvious to everyone that a larger town is so much better and those from them are much better people.

Enlighten us, please, on how you grew up? Your post intimates that since you can't relate it must therefore be bad...

Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 PM

37,131 posts, read 43,045,810 times
Yeah, I was pretty severely damaged by limited access to a wide range of fast food restaurants and mall stores. And, boy, did it suck to be able to write checks everywhere.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:40 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
Main things I regretted not having was electricity and running water.

We got electricity when I was 13 ( everybody in my area already had it for years) and never got running water.

Those two I would never want to give up now.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,900,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Main things I regretted not having was electricity and running water.

We got electricity when I was 13 ( everybody in my area already had it for years) and never got running water.

Those two I would never want to give up now.
I thought we'd hit the lottery when dad ran power to the water tanks...no more chopping ice during the winter day and night for the cattle!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:15 PM

23 posts, read 36,349 times
Default wow...what memories

hi to all of you....i hope you will still be looking at this forum... i am cmacyman and every single one of these posts has made me smile and brought back so many memories from my childhood...with the only exception that i grew up in small town florida... and we partied at the tressel. and swam at a secret place called the rope. all of which is gone now. i can remember at 12 years old we had 1 small movie place with 1 screen (as it should be). all of us wold have our parents drop us off at the movies house..... and.........not go to the movie....we would find that one person with the truck and pile in and go to a field or the beach or where ever...or someone would swipe thier parents car and pick us up....and in the summer we would ride horses bareback to the shell pits and take the horses swiming, we would stand on the rumps and wait till they would buck which would houst us up in the air for a good splash. the water was crystal clear..well...until a horse would poop in the water... wow...what a great place to grow up. i can tell you that the town is soooooooooooo differant now. it is un-recognizable to say the least. all of which i am moving to maine just as soon as i can. i just don't fit in at all in these towns that progress has changed so much...

i have been in the "moving to maine" forum and have gotten so much great advise from so many...i can use more though. so it any of you could enter that forum and help me out it will be so appreciated. i really look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

thank you for bringing a big ol' smile to my face and for reassuring me that my choice to move to maine is the right one.

oh....and i know it's not the beach...but i love the snow....i mean i really love the snow, cold weather, fall leaves (even raking them) and all that goes with it.

thanks again guys...you made my day.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:55 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,919,273 times
[quote=dynimagelv;11776803]SMALL TOWNS

Those who grew up in small towns will laugh when they read this.

Those who didn't, will be in disbelief and won't understand how true it is.

1) You can name everyone you graduated with.

---Yep. All 14 of 'em, even the 3 who are already dead

2) You know what 4-H means.-

---Yep. And, if you were in 4-H back in the 50's, I'll bet you know what a Dress Review is, don't ya?

3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, gravel pit, or in the middle of a dirt road. On Monday, you could always tell who was at the party because of the scratches on their legs from running through the woods when the party was busted. (See #6.)

---Been to all those places, but our favorite site was right on Main St, in the middle of the night. Not surprisingly, the old folks didn't much care for that!

6) You scheduled parties around the schedules of different police officers, because you knew which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't.

---We didn't have any cops. Whenver someone would complain about the noise, it would be a deputy sheriff or the Oklahoma Highway Patrol who came to chase us off. But, we knew their hidey spot, the one they'd sneak into with their lights off to watch us, and when they showed up, we'd provoke into coming after us, then lead 'em down the dirt roads in the dark until they got lost in the dust.

7) You could never buy cigarettes because all the store clerks knew how old you were (and if you were old enough, they'd tell your parents anyhow.) Besides, where would you get the money?

---That wasn't a problem in the 1950's. There was no age limit on buying smokes and any kid could buy them anywhere. The money came out of my quarter a day lunch money. There were no closed campuses back then (gee, how do kids today do it?), so we walked down to a local store and bought a hamburger, bag of chips and a coke. That left a nickle's change, so every 5 days, we had enough for a pack of cigarettes.

8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to buy cigarettes, you still had to go out into the country and drive on back roads to smoke them.

---Naw, but I hid them somewhere before going home. In grade school, I hid them in a pile of ornamental rocks in the front yard of a house we passed on the way to the store. One day, I reached in to get my smokes and pulled out a note instead: "Don't be hiding your cigarettes in my rocks."

9) You knew which section of the ditch you would find the beer your buyer dropped off.

---In southern Bryan County, OK, you didn't have to get someone to buy it for you. There were dozens of beer joints nearby, most of which would sell beer to anyone who had the money. One old guy named Pi actually slept on the pool table just under a drive up window. All we had to do was knock on the window and he'd sell it to us, any time of night.

10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town.

---No, it wasn't cool...it was dangerous!

11) The whole school went to the same party after graduation.

---Yep, even the good lookin' little freshman girls!

13) The golf course had only 9 holes.

---Golf course? Boy, you lived in a BIG town!

14) You couldn't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

---That's right, but the downside of that is that you'd have to fight him, sooner or later.

15) Your car stayed filthy because of the dirt roads, and you will never own a dark vehicle for this reason.

---Unh huh. Oklahoma red dirt on the outside and a combination of beer, vodka and popcorn on the inside.

16) The town next to you was considered 'trashy' or 'snooty,' but was actually just like your town.

---No, that wasn't true. The towns nearby were worse than ours and more dangerous because the criminal teenagers there had different "occupations." Our school town was full of vandals. The smaller town I lived in had thieves. One just down the road had murderers.

18) The people in the 'big city' dressed funny, and then you picked up the trend 2 years later.

---More like 10 years later. We were still wearing duck-tails in 1967.

19) Anyone you wanted could be found at the local gas station or the only restaurant.

---Pool hall.

20) You saw at least one friend a week driving a tractor through town or one of your friends driving a grain truck to school occasionally.

---Or just as common, riding a horse.

21) The gym teacher suggested you haul hay for the summer to get stronger.

---Yeah...and talk about cheap labor! 4 cents a bail! Which was still better than the 3 or 4 cents a pound for picking cotton.

22) Directions were given using THE stop light as a reference.

---No red lights, just a dozen or so stop signs. We got them all one halloween night, pulling them up out of the ground and piling them in the middle of main street.

23) When you decided to walk somewhere for exercise, 5 people would pull over and ask if you wanted a ride.

---Walk? When I had a 2-door hardtop 1958 Ford Fairlane 500? You must be joking!

24) Your teachers called you by your older siblings' names.

---Not only that, but they expected we'd turn out just as rotten as they did...and they weren't far from right. LOL

25) Your teachers remembered when they taught your parents.

---At our high school, they had the class pictures for every graduating class back to 1917. You could even find your folks pictures hanging in the hallway!

30) You've pee'd in a wheat field.

---I peed in worse places than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living