U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:21 AM

5,778 posts, read 6,687,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Main things I regretted not having was electricity and running water.

We got electricity when I was 13 ( everybody in my area already had it for years) and never got running water.

Those two I would never want to give up now.
We had electricity and running water when I was growing up but what we didn't have was a modern bathroom. We had an outhouse which we used in the summer and in the winter, we had what they called a cash-and-carry, which had to be dumped on a regular basis.

And what we bathed in was one of those small wash metal tubs. I was in heaven when we got a flush toilet and a regular bathtub and I wouldn't want to live without them.

As far as names go, lots of people had the same names and some of them got nicknames, which as kids we were supposed to remember not to use in front of the nicknamed people because they were not necessarily flattering but the vast majority of folks with the same first and last name were referred to by their initials, which, depending on just how many other people there were with the same same, could be as simple as B. J. Jones or B.C.D.J Jones. (there should be Mennonite last names there but for fear of some C.D or C.D.B. Mennonite recognizing him or herself, it seems the better part of valor to use English names as my examples)

Then there was the time when we had a dog called Max. We had forgotten that we also had a cattle dealer by the name of Max. So every time Max the cattle dealer came over, Max the dog would start barking, and we should shout - to Max the cattle dealer's shock - "Shut up, Max!"

I was never sure whether Max the cattle dealer bought our embarrassed explanation that we were yelling at the dog, not him - the times when we remembered that they shared the same name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 06:51 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,919,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
We had electricity and running water when I was growing up but what we didn't have was a modern bathroom. We had an outhouse which we used in the summer and in the winter, we had what they called a cash-and-carry, which had to be dumped on a regular basis.

And what we bathed in was one of those small wash metal tubs. I was in heaven when we got a flush toilet and a regular bathtub and I wouldn't want to live without them.

As far as names go, lots of people had the same names and some of them got nicknames, which as kids we were supposed to remember not to use in front of the nicknamed people because they were not necessarily flattering but the vast majority of folks with the same first and last name were referred to by their initials, which, depending on just how many other people there were with the same same, could be as simple as B. J. Jones or B.C.D.J Jones. (there should be Mennonite last names there but for fear of some C.D or C.D.B. Mennonite recognizing him or herself, it seems the better part of valor to use English names as my examples)

Then there was the time when we had a dog called Max. We had forgotten that we also had a cattle dealer by the name of Max. So every time Max the cattle dealer came over, Max the dog would start barking, and we should shout - to Max the cattle dealer's shock - "Shut up, Max!"

I was never sure whether Max the cattle dealer bought our embarrassed explanation that we were yelling at the dog, not him - the times when we remembered that they shared the same name.

A lot of us in southern Oklahoma had the same last name because...well, because there aren't a lot of different branches in the family trees. Even today, in my little Oklahoma church, over half the 25 or so regulars are cousins.

We had an outhouse and a well; no inside plumbing at all. Mom had a wringer washer sitting on the back porch and we'd heat the water for it in a witch's pot in the yard, then pour it in. We did the same for our Number 3 washtub baths.

We got our first phones in about 1958, with a 12 party line. It looked like a regular desk phone, but the base of it was about 3 inches thick and had a little crank handle on the side. If we wanted to make a call, we'd crank that handle to alert the operator, then give her the number.

The roads, of course, were dirt..not even gravel. When it rained, many days the school bus didn't show up until noon because he'd been stuck somewhere. If we were on the bus, we all got off and pushed when that happened.

The good ol' days? I don't THINK so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living