Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2009, 05:28 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,516,970 times

Advertisements

I have always liked thanksgiving. It may sound odd but back in 1993 my Grandfather died on Thanksgiving, but what a beautiful day to go...surrounded by family after years of suffering Alheimers. The fact that he was born, and died in the same house says a lot about the cycle of life, family history and a connection to the farm.

Perhaps this day is special for my family because our family came to Plymouth Rock on the Mayflower and carved out a living here farming ever since. That Pilgrim was a Tailor by trade and there are documents showing that he had sheep and rest of the pilgrims voted to have the first shearing shed built off his barn to help cloth the rest of the pilgrims. Today we still have sheep, though we have moved from Plymouth Rock and Cambridge MA to Maine to remain farmers. I guess three moves in 388 years doesn't make us nomads! (LOL)

But while my ancesters took part in the original Thanksgiving, not much has changed really. We still live and toil by the land, still know how to shear sheep, raise sheep and make woolen items. We also milk cows, raise corn and fertilize with marine products like seaweed, kelp and fish guts, just as the indians taught the pilgrims to do. Really not much has changed.

But today I really see Thanksgiving as a celebration of the lady of the house..an excellent day to show off her skills in the kitchen, a day to truly provide for the family, and for those that are smart enough to know that family is the only thing that matters, a wonderous time to see her family spend time together.

Farming in Maine in 2009 is certainly tough, but the truth is, it was tough in 1621 as well. We are still here, we are still free, we still are a God-Fearing Family, and we are still farming! Not much has changed really.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone...we have a lot to be thankful for. [SIZE=1]
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 10:37 PM

163 posts, read 215,153 times
Lovely, I appreciate what you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living