U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 05:05 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,208 times

Advertisements

Since my wife was out grocer shopping, my daughter insisted that she cook supper for me, so I let her and oh what a unique "tasty" meal it was.

It started with the coffee because she knows I love coffee. She used the coffee pot on her stove and mixed in my usual sugar, cream and not so usual flour.

For a main meal it was Macaronni and Cheese, flour and Turkey.

The veggies side of things consisted of Broccolli and crayons.

And for a desert it was Blue Berry Ice Cream Pie!

Now for those of you that know me, my daughter is only 3 so we spent a half hour (the longest portion of her short attention span) doing a tea party in her play room and use plastic spoons, pots, pans and wooden replicas of food, to make all this. It was probably a good thing this was after our real supper because I probably would have still been hungry.

Either way it was a wonderful "meal" really. It truly is amazing to watch your children grow, get really involved with food and cooking knowing that their imaginative play today may start a life-long love of food, cooking and farming. In fact ask her at age 3 where milk comes from and she will proudly say "Holsteins".

In that context, it was the best meal I have had in a long time. It did not fill the tummy very good, but it sure filled the heart!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 06:17 PM

3,753 posts, read 7,597,175 times
Sweetest post I have read today.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:44 PM

3,784 posts, read 7,042,595 times
BrokenTap - got to spread some reps before I can send any your way. Wonderful post.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:34 AM

People ask me all the time, don't you want a son? I tell them I really don't care. I take my daughter everywhere, on tractors, in trucks, in the car, in the barns, everywhere. I don't treat her like a boy, nor do I treat her like a girl...I treat her as if she is a child and I got one more year to be with her before the darn world (school) gets her.

My goal now is to spend time with her, and as she soaks up everything, to tell her how I see things and hope that I will somehow influence her and all the learned behaviors she is absorbing.

If she ends up being a tom boy...so be it, yet if she ends up doing some traditional lady type career so be it too. My only hope is that I expose her to the simplicities of the farming life, she understands where food comes from and what it takes to produce it, and let her have a chance to take the family farm or not. The goal is to let her have the OPPORTUNITY to farm this family farm...that is all.

Incidentally the majority of those things go for any foster child that resides here as well as my wife and I are foster parents too.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,870,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
People ask me all the time, don't you want a son? I tell them I really don't care. I take my daughter everywhere, on tractors, in trucks, in the car, in the barns, everywhere. I don't treat her like a boy, nor do I treat her like a girl...I treat her as if she is a child and I got one more year to be with her before the darn world (school) gets her.

My goal now is to spend time with her, and as she soaks up everything, to tell her how I see things and hope that I will somehow influence her and all the learned behaviors she is absorbing.

If she ends up being a tom boy...so be it, yet if she ends up doing some traditional lady type career so be it too. My only hope is that I expose her to the simplicities of the farming life, she understands where food comes from and what it takes to produce it, and let her have a chance to take the family farm or not. The goal is to let her have the OPPORTUNITY to farm this family farm...that is all.

Incidentally the majority of those things go for any foster child that resides here as well as my wife and I are foster parents too.

The world could sure use more parents such as yourself and your wife.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:39 PM

9 posts, read 20,529 times
Default lucky young lady

Reading a post like this reminds me of sitting in the front room with good friends, a smile on your face, and laughter in your ears.

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:30 AM

Surprisingly, foster children do well on farms and the reason is not because of old fashioned punishments...it is because foster children are not as much "beaten up" as you would think. What happens is, the birth parents tell them not to do something, and they do it anyway with no repercussions. That happens again and again, and then on the 12th infraction, the birth parent loses it and thumps on the kids.

What a farm does is provide consistency...something most foster children have not had.

And kids can relate to the animals. I mean its a pretty powerful object lesson to explain how a group of sheep came from another farm where they were malnourished and uncared for. Since these animals are weary of the farmer until a trust is developed...well you can see how that hits home. Ultimately kids and animals get along quite well. They aren't forced to muck out the farm, but I think kids see the value of hard work, loving care and consistency. What better place to see that then on a farm?

Old 12-20-2009, 12:35 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,903,794 times
when you divorce will you marry me?? Marilyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or