U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:12 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,871,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Motor Scooters would be allowed by the Amish here as they would be under the horsepower rating. In other words small gasoline engines like motor scooters, chainsaws, lawnmowers and gas driven air compressors, etc ARE allowed. In fact the Amish ladies use small hp gasoline engines to drive the motors o their washing machines. They have to go outside and start them, then a shaft is connected to the washing machine to turn the tub.

They do some things you would not think was allowed. For instance a few months ago I saw the neighbors house all lit up like the Griswold's home in Christmas Vacation. I asked why the electric lights and the guy said "the elders were up." They are indeed allowed to use electricity, just not a lot. Their barns are indeed powered by electricity though, and they have phones as well...and despite what the article says...they have cell phones too and can text better then I can.

As I said, they like their horses more then I do, but they really aren't that much different from us.

Last year when we were in Ohio (which certain parts have alot of Amish with beautiful farms). They would be driven to WalMart by someone they hire and what we found amusing is the fact that many times they were in the electronics section buying computer games, etc and accessories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:42 PM

5,779 posts, read 6,690,462 times
There are several different versions of Amish - some more conservative than others. I am Mennonite and while 'my' Mennonites use all the modern conveniences, my father and most others of his generation around here would rather let their hay rot in the field than work on a Sunday.

On the other hand, feeding livestock or milking was considered different because animals suffered if you did not do those things, regardless of the day.

At one time, working on the field on a Sunday would have gotten you excommunicated from church.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:05 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
I admire people who adhere to the comandment---------" Keep holy the Lord's day"

Old 12-03-2009, 05:16 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,802 times
We have always done this. Come over and talk on Sunday, chit chat, whoo hoo it up whatever, but we have never dealt with money on Sunday's and never will. We do milk the cows of course, because...well...you just have too, and sometimes we are forced to do field work due to oncoming weather, but as a rule we do not "work" on Sunday. And we are not Amish...just old New England farmers.

That is why I was shocked when on a Sunday the Amish showed up at my house, jumping out of their van in straw hats and bonnets and was asking all kinds of questions about the farm. I answered them politely as it is public information anyway, but to ask about buying it??? Of course the farm is NOT for sale...but it was odd to be telling this to an Amish guy on Sunday.

I have found that for the most part, people have this perception of the Amish that is not true. I would not know what I know about them if I did not live next to them. I couldn't ask for better neighbors, but I am keeping my daughter on this side of the rockwall for sure. First of all I want her husband treating her a little better then livestock, and I don't want 16 grandchildren from her (LOL)

I did get one guy in trouble though. He asked if he could use my tractor to clean out the old barn they bought. He assured me he had used a tractor before and I could tell he did. He cleaned out the barn in record time, but when he was done, the Elders saw the tracks and shunned him. The next time I saw him he would nod or shake his head. His fellow Amish friend later told me what happened and that he was on probation for 6 months...and had to listen to everyone else, and remain mum for the most part.

As for a Menonite...they are cool. My sawmill guy is one and I like working with him. We get along great...just as I do with the Amish...because god-fearing people share the same general ideas even if they are different in how they are carried out. As I said 1000 times, the Amish do well here because we are like minded. Are they better farmers then us...no. Are we better farmers then them...nope. We are different, but we are both farmers...toiling with the land gives you a like-minded bond.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 AM

163 posts, read 157,672 times
You must surely realize that in most conservative religious groups there are the young people who live on the edge, so's to speak. They're the ones with the tape players, video games, etc..
This is true with Mennonites, Brethren, Amish, Hutterites.
I was amused to be in Sugarcreek , OH and see a young gal dressed in very conservative Mennonite dress looking at the videos. Then she went out and jumped in a bright, shiny ,sporty, red car, put on her dark shades and roared off with rock music blaring on her tape player.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:29 PM

4,259 posts, read 9,885,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowman View Post
I was amused to be in Sugarcreek , OH and see a young gal dressed in very conservative Mennonite dress looking at the videos. Then she went out and jumped in a bright, shiny ,sporty, red car, put on her dark shades and roared off with rock music blaring on her tape player.
Would she have been shunned if it had been a CD player or an iPod?

Old 12-09-2009, 03:51 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,889,763 times
We have a large Amish community in Gladwin county Michigan. There is a problem with them being in buggies on the road at night. They always get the worst end of the accidents.

It is odd to see them in their buggies talking on cell phones.

They are at odds with our health department over sewage and water wells.
I would never eat anything they bake, ever. I think they try to be clean. They just do not have the facilities to sell food products. The few homes I have been in smelled of kerosene.

I also do not believe the people I talked to used any deodorant. They had bad BO.

Their children knew just a few words of English. IMO, that is not good. English should be taught. No matter what the first language is in the home.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:51 PM

163 posts, read 157,672 times
Don't worry, once they're of school age they will learn English at school. Unlike some who receive instruction in their own language and live here & never have to learn English, the Amish believe in learning English at "English" school.

There are plenty of us who are many generations in this country who spoke something other than English at home and have gone on to live productive lives.

The kerosene of course is from the lights, and many have a kero. stove and fridge.

As far as deoderant, I know some Amish "frown" upon the use of it for "health" reasons. Is an individual thing not because they're Amish, but the Amish are really into alternative medecines, homeopathy, health food, vitamins, etc.. Just about anything that can keep them away from the regular medical doctor they seem to go for. Thousands of them flock here to South Dakota to go the the chiropractors at the Ortman Clinic . There are no Amish settlements in SD but on any given day of the week you will find a hundred or more here to go to the chiropractor.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:14 AM

671 posts, read 687,474 times
Every little group of Amish is different...Things change,even for the Amish.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:49 AM

5,995 posts, read 6,519,989 times
I had been to Smyrna a few years ago, there is a general store lit with skylights that sells Faraday flashlights, a furniture factory and chickens running around on the main road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living