Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 31,251 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I grew up in Black Mountain NC and was forced to move to Greenville SC due to lack of job opportunities and how expensive the cost of living was there. Needless to say, I hate it down here. People are not friendly and Job opportunities are not up to par to what everyone was saying.

I would like to find a semi small town in the mountains somewhere in the US that isn't too far from society and isn't too expensive to live in. I love the mountains and forest. And my husband likes society and people... so we're trying to get the best of both worlds.

I was looking at NC, TN, WV, and VA.
Anyone have any recommendations? I've been looking for months and can't find the information I'm looking for on towns.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 11:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Have you considered the N. Georgia mountains? Very affordable areas there.

What is your definition of "too expensive"? Have you looked N. of Nashville around the Goodlettsville area?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:13 AM

North Georgia Mountains, that is a pretty place. I sure haven't, I'll have to look at more details. Same with Goodlettsville... never heard of it. Thank you very much!

"Too expensive" was more in reference to something like Gatlinburg or some places in Buncombe County NC.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Does anyone know anything about Townsend TN? I like a place in the mountains.
Or perhaps Rabun County in GA? I did some research on this one and saw that jobs a very very low. Then again I think its like that everywhere.
Or have any other suggestions?

Old 12-27-2009, 11:59 PM

594 posts, read 3,436,465 times
Hope this information helps you. However I do not live in these areas but I do drive threw and visit these areas alot every month. I have drivin threw black mountain north carolina several times I drivin threw there last week on my way to asheville north carolina its such a beautiful quiet peaceful area to live its bad that you people had to leave this place because there arent no jobs.So here is some ideas I think I have that you can check into.There is a list below to check into for jobs and mountain areas.

1.Asheville north carolina in buncombe county nearby with mountains and maybe job opportunities.

2.gatlinburg tennessee sits in the great smokey mountains and maybe job opportunities.

3.sevierville tennessee near the great smokey mountains and maybe some job opportunities.

4.knoxville tennessee not to far from the great smokey mountains with great job opportunities.

5.greenville south with a few mountains but not many with a few job opportunities but not many.

6.The north georgia mountains are a nice area too because they are part of the appalachain mountains that run threw north georgia. But dont know what kind of job opportunities the area has.

7.atlanta georgia if you can stand the traffic with the appalachain mountains to the north in north georgia.And has great job opportunitites.

8. richmond virginia but does not have any mountains but maybe has good job opportunities.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:02 AM

378 posts, read 1,063,399 times
Roan Mountain, Tennessee is a beautiful small mountain town. You can drive to Johnson City to work which is about 35 minutes away.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:26 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlpspirit View Post
Does anyone know anything about Townsend TN? I like a place in the mountains.
Or perhaps Rabun County in GA? I did some research on this one and saw that jobs a very very low. Then again I think its like that everywhere.
Or have any other suggestions?
Hi hlpspirit,

Come on over to the http://www.city-data.com/forum/knoxville/ forum. I live in a small town near the Smoky Mountains and Knoxville TN (and near the aforementioned Townsend). We will be happy to answer any of your questions about our area.

Beretta

Old 12-31-2009, 03:57 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,009 times
Landrum, SC is right on the NC/SC border and seems like a nice town - about halfway b/w Asheville and Greenville and I-26 access.

I've been to Roan Mtn., TN - that seemed nice, too.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:50 PM

66 posts, read 197,200 times
Cleveland TN...Dalton GA?

Old 01-01-2010, 08:48 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam 5 View Post
Hope this information helps you. However I do not live in these areas but I do drive threw and visit these areas alot every month. I have drivin threw black mountain north carolina several times I drivin threw there last week on my way to asheville north carolina its such a beautiful quiet peaceful area to live its bad that you people had to leave this place because there arent no jobs.So here is some ideas I think I have that you can check into.There is a list below to check into for jobs and mountain areas.

1.Asheville north carolina in buncombe county nearby with mountains and maybe job opportunities.

2.gatlinburg tennessee sits in the great smokey mountains and maybe job opportunities.

3.sevierville tennessee near the great smokey mountains and maybe some job opportunities.

4.knoxville tennessee not to far from the great smokey mountains with great job opportunities.

5.greenville south with a few mountains but not many with a few job opportunities but not many.

6.The north georgia mountains are a nice area too because they are part of the appalachain mountains that run threw north georgia. But dont know what kind of job opportunities the area has.

7.atlanta georgia if you can stand the traffic with the appalachain mountains to the north in north georgia.And has great job opportunitites.

8. richmond virginia but does not have any mountains but maybe has good job opportunities.

---Gatlinsburg----------- beautifull, but I never could imagine living in an area that is considered a main tourist area/" tourist trap"

A big difference from vacationing in a well known crowded tourist area and living there year around.

Vacationing there 2 weeks ago ( even in the off season) made me realize-------nice place to visit,wouldn't want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living