U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 09:12 PM

28,400 posts, read 48,163,871 times

Advertisements

Annapolis, MD, United States (AHN) - Maryland police shot and killed three pit bulls that attacked and killed livestock at a farm house close by. According to reports, two sheep had to be put to sleep because of severe wounds and four goats were also injured in the attack.

Read more: Pit Bulls Shot After Killing Livestock | AHN (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017352737?Pit%20Bulls%20Shot%20After%20Killing%20 Livestock#ixzz0afNtq4LI - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 09:30 PM

34,458 posts, read 43,307,926 times
Unfortunately the real MD state dog is the Pit Bull, not the official Chesapeake Bay Retriever. And everyone one of them is gentle.
One guy in my County had his throat ripped out a couple years ago by his pits. He was in his 70s.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:12 PM

18,546 posts, read 55,477,958 times
Dogs going after livestock is common. This happened to be pit bulls. There were hundreds of other events, with dogs of other breeds, that never made the news. Farmers know to shoot, shovel, and shut-up.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:32 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,953,110 times
Don't matter what kind of dogs they were... kill livestock, when the dog(s) is/are caught, it/they should be put down too.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:59 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,685,341 times
I don't care for pit bulls, but when it comes to sheep, any dog can turn into a killer.

Broken Tap knows much more about sheep than I , but when I was a little kid our neighbor ( and relative) had sheep. He had a couple killed by dogs one night and asked my dad if our dogs roamed at night . ( dad and him were best friends)

A couple days later he apologized for suspecting our dog as he discovered it was his own,tame, farn dog that did it.

Another friend of mine started in sheep and now has 200 ewes. He was advized to get rid of his 2 farm dogs by the person he bought the ewes from. He didn't.

He said that one day the 2 dogs were having a " blast" chasing the lambs and mauling them. He had to get rid of his own dogs.

Pit bulls got a bad reputation ( and rightly so) but when it comes to killing sheep, many breeds of dogs are killers also.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:31 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,660,004 times
Hey Guys
Will/Do Herding breads kill a flock? or maybe just run them to death?

Old 12-25-2009, 03:57 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,772,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Hey Guys
Will/Do Herding breads kill a flock? or maybe just run them to death?
If you meant to type "herding breeds" yes, they can. Trained herding dogs can turn and kill the sheep they've worked with for years. Once this happens the dog has to be destoyed or taken off the farm.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:10 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,608 times
Every sheep farmer fears coyotes, but the truth is statistically it is domestic dogs that cause the most losses. ALL Dogs instinctively hunt and by turning them into pets, we are taking that away from them. Once they are allowed to roam free and have livestock to chase, they will. Unfortunately sheep have weak hearts or very thin membranes that attach the lamb fetuses to the ewes placenta. One good hard run from a pregnant sheep can destroy that and kill the lambs, or give them heart attacks.

Last week a loose dog was bothering my sheep. It was the same size and look of a coyote but coyotes don't wear collars. I grabbed the dog and tossed it in my shop for safe keeping. After 2 hours of trying to find out who the dog catcher was in town, I found her only to find out she would not come the house in a snowstorm. The next day he crapped all over my shop and got into my sheep grain also making him sick.

Next time I will not be inconvenienced. I have dogs and they do not get loose, and my sheep even though being free ranged (no fences in most of their pastures) never cause an issue by being loose either...Being a Right to Farm State I will simply exercise my right as a farmer and put the dog down myself and be done with it. Problem solved. It is well within my rights...

No dog doo to pick up...
No dog puke to clean up...
No scratched shop door...
No repeated calls to a dog catcher that does not want to be bothered...

Incidentally the best dogs around here are the hunting dogs. Because they are allowed to hunt, they love chasing rabbits, coyotes, bear and raccoon and NEVER bother the sheep.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:33 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,075,299 times
I think they should have put down the dogs owner while they were at it.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:28 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,608 times
I found out later the owners (unidentified) no longer wanted the dog since it was getting old and just turned it loose.

Incidentally it was the hunters here who tracked the owner down. The love their dogs and as they drive by a house know who everyone has for dogs...even pets. I called a few of them that night but all the neighbors had different dogs. Later when the hunters started asking each other about this coyote-looking dog, they found a hunter who knew where it lived.

Here is the thing...it is a sad fact of life but we out live our pets. Therefore it is inevitable that we have to watch them go. If you do not have the stamina to deal with that unfortunate reality...do not get a dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living