Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 05:40 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,342 times

Advertisements

I am a next generational farmer, struggling with getting my farm up and running from a very idle state to a more active farm that it once was. The last year or so I have signed up for some governmental Programs to help fund my way to a bigger farm with better conservation practices, but also bigger livestock numbers and thus more cash flow.

From a Christian point of view, government involvement is a difficult issue to deal with for me though. I recently read a diary from my Great Uncle from 1825ish. He talked about how an early hard frost had killed all their food for the winter with less then a barrel of wheat left. They felt sure they would perish when a wagon arrived from Bangor. It seems a pastor down there had heard about the frost and figured our family had nothing to eat and shared his bounty. The point is, we did not need government help in 1825, we got through it via the Lord's help and maybe it is time I return the farm to that sort of mind set. I know many non-believers cannot relate to this ideology, but I struggle with it.

So is it time to wean myself from the government ewe? It will be tough as I am just getting going, but the hardest decisions in life are often the best ones to take! It is just hard because I can justify either stance quite easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 07:18 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Understand and agree regarding the gov't teet... however, think about it this way, for now: where will you be one year, 3 years, from now if (a) you continue to use the funds/assistance that your tax money provides you, vs. (b) you decline all [or however much you decide] funds/assistance, going solo w/o that? Granted, the times in ~1825 with the assistance from the pastor/neighbors was great,,, but, do you see anyone of that sort helping today for your particular situation? Given that the churches and communities then IMHO were sortof similar to a gov't agency, in that they provided assistance [foods and/or goods and/or helping hands], I'd say that if in your shoes, I'd continue taking assistance until no longer was needed. Good luck,,, sincere best wishes.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Best wishes in whatever your decision is.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I am a next generational farmer, struggling with getting my farm up and running from a very idle state to a more active farm that it once was. The last year or so I have signed up for some governmental Programs to help fund my way to a bigger farm with better conservation practices, but also bigger livestock numbers and thus more cash flow.

From a Christian point of view, government involvement is a difficult issue to deal with for me though. I recently read a diary from my Great Uncle from 1825ish. He talked about how an early hard frost had killed all their food for the winter with less then a barrel of wheat left. They felt sure they would perish when a wagon arrived from Bangor. It seems a pastor down there had heard about the frost and figured our family had nothing to eat and shared his bounty. The point is, we did not need government help in 1825, we got through it via the Lord's help and maybe it is time I return the farm to that sort of mind set. I know many non-believers cannot relate to this ideology, but I struggle with it.

So is it time to wean myself from the government ewe? It will be tough as I am just getting going, but the hardest decisions in life are often the best ones to take! It is just hard because I can justify either stance quite easily.
Perhaps speak with your county extention agent to see if there may be any other route you could take to help make your farm more productive? It seems perhaps having several sources of farm income be it crops, lumber, hunting lease rental, agri-tourism, variety of livestock (perhaps smaller that require the same amount of pasture you now own).

Use your business plan, set goals, have an alternate plan if your goals do not pan out, pray upon it and the answer will be there. Find a way so you can sleep at night without compromising you principals beyond your limits. Pray upon it, the answer will be there.

Good luck.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:51 PM

135 posts, read 387,336 times
Look into Mother earth news website they have quite a few articles on small farms and different techniques on living green as well they have articles that go back to the 70's .
Another thing to look into is growing heritage crops and miniature cows, you will have a good start and less expense, and see about talking with an amish farmer on how their techniques and experience .
Good luck and
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living