Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:52 PM

121 posts, read 320,632 times

Advertisements

I live in Santa Fe,NM. My family and I would like to move to an area where we can have some freedom to have a chicken coop and a few chickens. Also, a few Nubian goats for the milk.
Here's the problem, everywhere I have looked has restrictions against "barnyard animals". I found a house with 5 acres in Placitas,NM that will only allow horses.
Same goes for the 15 acres in Amarillo,Tx. Just horses.
I'm not looking for a farm. Just a little space and the freedom to do what I'd like with it.
Does every place have HOA's and covenants now?
I don't have alot of money ( about $300,00) and I have a family of four adults.
We would like to be close enough to a city that I can run to the store in the middle of baking a cake to get whatever it is that I forgot.
Can anyone help me find what I am looking for?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 10:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeSisters View Post
I live in Santa Fe,NM. My family and I would like to move to an area where we can have some freedom to have a chicken coop and a few chickens. Also, a few Nubian goats for the milk.
Here's the problem, everywhere I have looked has restrictions against "barnyard animals". I found a house with 5 acres in Placitas,NM that will only allow horses.
Same goes for the 15 acres in Amarillo,Tx. Just horses.
I'm not looking for a farm. Just a little space and the freedom to do what I'd like with it.
Does every place have HOA's and covenants now?
I don't have alot of money ( about $300,00) and I have a family of four adults.
We would like to be close enough to a city that I can run to the store in the middle of baking a cake to get whatever it is that I forgot.
Can anyone help me find what I am looking for?
Thanks!
That type of mindset will not bode well living out in the country.
If you want to live close to town then you have restrictions like you found.
If you want animals and peace of mind you move further out with no restrictions and subdivisions.

You have to decide what's more important...being close to a store or having animals ?

I live far enough outside of town to have animals. That was my choice.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:41 PM

121 posts, read 320,632 times
Default I know you're right!

Thanks Happy Texan! The animals are very important to me. But I am concerned having an 86 year old Mother with Alzheimers that being TOO far from a town might be a mistake.
I hope I don't have to choose one OR the other.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:22 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
You don't have to choose one over the other in many areas. I know here, there are many people who raise some livestock for themselves and chickens as well, that live a couple miles out of town. A quick trip into town takes 10 or 15 minutes and they still live out of town in a rural area that doesn't care if you raise goats, pigs, chicken, cattle, horses or whatever you want (As long as you keep them from wandering onto neighboring farms).

Old 12-28-2009, 09:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeSisters View Post
Thanks Happy Texan! The animals are very important to me. But I am concerned having an 86 year old Mother with Alzheimers that being TOO far from a town might be a mistake.
I hope I don't have to choose one OR the other.
Well then I suggest you check out some of the smaller Texas towns surrounding the bigger cities.

I'm near the Austin area. We have towns like Taylor, Elgin, Coupland that are not too far out from Austin, have their own restrictions but the city limits are not that big where you can live just outside the city limits and have some livestock.

That sounds more suiting to what you may need. You'd be looking at a 15-20 minute drive into town and maybe 40 minutes or more into Austin.

If that suits your needs then hop over to the Texas forums and start reading and posting in the city categories. Houston and San Antonio are similar in setup. Dallas though I think is all built out for several miles so living "close enough" and still have livestock may not be feasible.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:21 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,719 times
Check this site out for each state's laws on keeping legal chickens:

chickenlaws.html (http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/chickenlaws.html - broken link)

Looks like you're home free!

"Santa Fe, NM. Unlimited chickens allowed."

Old 12-28-2009, 12:49 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Check this site out for each state's laws on keeping legal chickens:

chickenlaws.html (http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/chickenlaws.html - broken link)

Looks like you're home free!

"Santa Fe, NM. Unlimited chickens allowed."

NE PENNSYLVANIA--and neighbors by the name of stonecyphers kept them

Old 12-28-2009, 04:37 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
I miss having chickens too. We have been searching all over for a retirement plot to build a small home on and have a garden and some little banty hens. Hard to find. Funny thing is that a lot of the inner city hispanics that settled around Los Angeles have been keeping chickens and it seems to be spreading. Years back, and not too many years, you would get fined for having a chicken in L.A.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:42 PM

380 posts, read 1,159,510 times
How far do you want to move?
We're down to one rabbit, a hive of honeybees, and one rooster; the hens are gone and we sold the goats (nubians) because we thought it would be easier to move without lots of animals. No animal restrictions, surrounded by small farms with various livestock yet only a few minutes drive to any cake baking supplies you could want. Take a look at my classified listing: http://www.city-data.com/forum/class...county-wv.html
Plenty of room for what you are looking for, but not quite big enough for what we want to do, hence the intentions of moving to a little larger piece of almost heaven.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:51 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/12/26/ky.urban.chickens.wave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living