U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 03:22 PM

17 posts, read 29,120 times

Advertisements

We are in NJ suburb with 6 ac farm. Enjoy it but wanna move to rural area to lower living cost when retired. Something we could not think through. Maybe your feedbacks will influence our decision

1. moving to rural means to give up the benefit of 55+ community (mostly lower housing cost).
2. we like asian food. It is hard to find asian grocery store even in small town.
3. we are not handy enough, it might be difficult to find a helper.
4. is rural life really good for senior who might need to see doctor occasionally?
5. we don't have plan to manage a big farm, just try to be self sufficient. Does it make sense to live in rural?
6. we don't like freezing temperature, neither 100 degree hot place. And we like east coast. Not sure how many choices we have.

Appreciate it if you may share some thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 03:48 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,980,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledward View Post
We are in NJ suburb with 6 ac farm. Enjoy it but wanna move to rural area to lower living cost when retired. Something we could not think through. Maybe your feedbacks will influence our decision

1. moving to rural means to give up the benefit of 55+ community (mostly lower housing cost). Small town life is great!
2. we like asian food. It is hard to find asian grocery store even in small town.
3. we are not handy enough, it might be difficult to find a helper.
4. is rural life really good for senior who might need to see doctor occasionally?
5. we don't have plan to manage a big farm, just try to be self sufficient. Does it make sense to live in rural?
6. we don't like freezing temperature, neither 100 degree hot place. And we like east coast. Not sure how many choices we have.

Just one thought that meets all your requirement with ease............Small town life is great! (Think 7,000 or less people anywhere in the country. )

Old 01-02-2010, 08:38 AM

7,946 posts, read 16,473,588 times
I'm a big fan of looking about 20-30 minutes drive from a bigger city with a large university. Rural health care can be outright scary for anything other than simple matters (yeah, I know y'all can tell me about your awesome individual country doctors, but as a whole, that picture is not good) and being a reasonable drive from a high volume university hospital can really neutralize a lot of that problem. The university town can in many cases be your source for the Asian foods you can't get by mail order.

In terms of having a helper, that shouldn't be that hard if you ask around at church, community center, etc. Someone's always looking for a little extra money. The problem, like it would be anywhere city or rural, is finding someone rock solid reliable.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 AM

31,151 posts, read 50,332,412 times
Quote:

1. moving to rural means to give up the benefit of 55+ community (mostly lower housing cost).
Is the cost-of-living in a 55+ planned community really lower?

I do not know.

From our experiences, rural living is much cheaper than urban. But I do not know how that compares to being within a 55+ park.

Quote:
Many rural towns are in the outlaying areas of a city. We are 25 minutes from Bangor. In Bangor there are many groceries to choose from.

Quote:
... 3. we are not handy enough, it might be difficult to find a helper.
It might, and it might not.

Quote:
... 4. is rural life really good for senior who might need to see doctor occasionally?
Could be, I just changed my PCP. I found a different one in my HMO network that is closer to our house. Now I would drive about half-way toward the city to his office.

Quote:
... 5. we don't have plan to manage a big farm, just try to be self sufficient. Does it make sense to live in rural?
Many cities do not allow chickens, or a tractor.

But you can usually setup a greenhouse anywhere.

Quote:
... 6. we don't like freezing temperature, neither 100 degree hot place. And we like east coast. Not sure how many choices we have.

I dont know.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 AM

Thank you for the comments. I agree with beachhouse "about 20-30 minutes drive from a bigger city with a large university". Maybe someone can help to list such kind of NICE small towns in mid part of east coast.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:36 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,980,449 times
Quote:
Thank you for the comments. I agree with beachhouse "about 20-30 minutes drive from a bigger city with a large university". Maybe someone can help to list such kind of NICE small towns in mid part of east coast.
Contact your sec. of state (and other states) for a population list for town in your/their state(s). Explain that you would like to relocate to a small town as a place to live in your senior years and they can be very helpful.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:40 AM

3,429 posts, read 5,261,058 times
Perhaps one of the smaller communities outside of Durham, NC? Temps not too extreme, Duke University Medical School, etc.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:03 PM

Real estate in Research Triangle Park area booms up because of high demand. I am thinking suburb small towns of either Petersburg VA or Cherry Hill NJ.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:43 AM

13,649 posts, read 26,079,477 times
Heh. I grew up in Cherry Hill and watched one farm after the other go down for the count, all the way towards the shore. And real estate taxes and car insurance are brutal in NJ- I think the worst in the country.
The OP said they want enough property to be self-sufficient "not a big farm." That sounds unlikely as people age, especially if they know now that they'd need to hire help. Small town living might suit the OP quite well, but they're talking about a self-sufficient farm?
I always worry about being more, not less, car-dependent as I get older. Seems like a collision course with aging.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM

Thanks brightdoglover. I heard of that property tax in Salem used to be very low. And NJ is the only state that has 5 ac farmland assessment, which is good for farmer aiming at small scale.

My understanding is where ever public transportation is convenient, poor people are around. So I am trying to stay away from those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living