U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 PM

5,778 posts, read 6,688,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajo View Post
As someone who is bored with living in the country, let me offer another perspective. Now, I won't lie. Im pretty much a city girl. I lived in the "country" as a kid for a few years but I spent most of my childhood in KC.

My husband was transferred to a very small town in Arkansas. The people are friendly. Very nice. But I miss my city amenities. I don't want to have to drive two hours to the mall. I want to be able to go to art exhibits, see live music, visit funky stores looking for great decorating pieces (I dig interior design). I love urban photography and would love to wander aimlessly through the city all day long taking pictures of gritty urban sights. I want to be able to go to a coffee shop that can make a latte that I don't immediately throw in the trash because it tastes terrible (no coffee here! 1.5 hours I have to drive for a decent cup!) I would love nothing more than to spend my free time cheering on a local professional sports team or college team without having to drive 3.5 hours to see a game. I hate that when I go to Walmart and they are out of something (which is every time I go there) , there are no other stores in town where I can go to pick it up. If something goes wrong with my car, the closest dealer is 3 hours away. It's just a really different lifestyle

I don't mind small town living. But isolated small town living is not for me. I thinks sometimes people think it sounds nice, until they get here and realize all the little things they gave up. We have some friends who moved to our same town from a much larger city. When they got here, they realized all they gave up. Taking the kids to get donuts on the weekend, gymnastics for their little girl, etc.

Now there is nothing wrong with rural living. I understand the reasons it appeals to people. But all people are different. I crave being around people. I like the hustle and bustle of the city. I like being able to eat Thai food at 3am if I so desire. I like being able to spend an entire evening out shopping, dinner, movie, drinks, and then head home-without ever having to get in my vehicle. I will be the first to tell someone all they are giving up when they move here...because I would rather them know it in advance then find out when they get here and be homesick. Some people just don't realize every little thing you give up, and others don't care about any of the things I mentioned above. if that's the case, then they will do well living somewhere rural and I encourage them to come on out.

me? I'll take your place in the city anyday!
I think that any place is dissatisfying, if you are not there because you want to be there. If it isn't your choice, the best place in the world can feel like a prison.

If my only option was to live where I live, I might well feel as you do. But I fortunately have a choice as to where I live, and that makes all the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 PM

11,044 posts, read 10,789,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think that any place is dissatisfying, if you are not there because you want to be there. If it isn't your choice, the best place in the world can feel like a prison.
Words of wisdom.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:30 PM

37,143 posts, read 43,058,077 times
I don't know. I grew up in the country and love it there...lots that I find entertaining when I go home, and lots that I found entertaining when I was a kid...camping out, swimming in the creek, watching meteor showers, boating, long drives on country roads, hiking, going to rodeos, county fairs, small town festivals, etc.

I now live an an urban area, and find loads that's entertaining and interesting, here...a variety of neighborhood street festivals, exposure to more than just a couple of ethnicities and cultural events therein (my hometown was almost equally nonhispanic caucasian and hispanic and not much else), a multitude of wonderful museums and cultural offerings, the opportunity to sing with a large citywide chorus, the ability to go browse a bookstore without having to drive 60 miles to do so as I did growing up... a lot of the things I find entertaining aren't tied to a particular place, too, and can be done anywhere...I can read and sew and crochet and paint and write and craft things no matter where I live.

I've got a wide range of interests. Some are served by living in a more rural area, some by a place with a higher population. Some can be found in either environment.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:53 PM

14,719 posts, read 45,819,453 times
Well, not to be an armchair "Dr. Phil", but I guess the first point is if you are introverted or extraverted. Although, and not to thread-jack, if you saw me in a crowd of "general public" people, you would say I'm pretty introverted, but at, say, a BMW technical conference like Gateway Tech, you would say I'm pretty extraverted, since these are people I have something in common with, and something to talk about with.

Out in the country I have fewer friends but better ones.

Anyone who likes outdoor activities, hunting, fishing, shooting, hiking, camping, skiing, boating, canoeing, I could go on about forever - there is plenty of entertainment in rural areas, it's just different types of entertainment than what you get in the city.

Then there are all sorts of solitary activities, reading, even internet forums - that are pretty much independent of where you are when you do them.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:29 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,658,985 times
Just different strokes for different folks is all......
Me, Now I like most things outdoors, fishing, hunting, hiking, etc
My Step-sister she likes PLays, and the Opera, etc etc
Nothing wrong with either, just don't go out in the sticks and ***** that there ain't an Opera House and don't go to the city looking for good Deer Hunting

Old 01-06-2010, 11:34 PM

11,288 posts, read 12,819,784 times
I've been told over and over "hope you don't get bored here" having moved to a small town of 800 from a metro area of 300,000. I did the club scene, fancy restaurants, sitting in gridlock for hours, crowds. Now I go for walks that last all day, watch bald Eagles, deer, elk, bear, or sit and read in quiet watching it snow, and pan for gold...

Bored? Are you kidding me.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:09 PM

5,109 posts, read 7,827,882 times
Lets just all agree that the suburbs are the worst when it comes to finding entertainment!

Better to be in a dynamic city full of culture and people of all walks of life, OR to be in a beautiful quiet country area with trees, mountains and rivers to explore, than to be stuck in the 'burbs with nothing but nearly identical houses and strip malls around you-a slave to your car to do absolutely anything!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 PM

14,719 posts, read 45,819,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Lets just all agree that the suburbs are the worst when it comes to finding entertainment!

Better to be in a dynamic city full of culture and people of all walks of life, OR to be in a beautiful quiet country area with trees, mountains and rivers to explore, than to be stuck in the 'burbs with nothing but nearly identical houses and strip malls around you-a slave to your car to do absolutely anything!
Amen to that. Worst are the trendy high-dollar "bedroom communities" - what the devil are you going to do for fun there? Compete in the "yard of the month" contest?

Old 01-08-2010, 07:49 AM

11,044 posts, read 10,789,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Amen to that. Worst are the trendy high-dollar "bedroom communities" - what the devil are you going to do for fun there? Compete in the "yard of the month" contest?
Well, there is the bi-monthly mini-van show as well.

Oh... and the triple latte 'drink-off.'

Old 01-08-2010, 11:21 AM

7,939 posts, read 16,463,032 times
There are actually some cool things buried in the strip mallls and unassuming office parks of America if you know where to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living