U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:58 PM

7,939 posts, read 16,463,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Driving in some of the most scenic,rural areas of the South and one will see many areas of people living in --litter and junk--.
We go from Florida to Georgia by way of Alabama to visit family every so often, and all those 'Keep Alabama beautiful' signs really don't seem to work well at all. Amazing how much roadside trash on the 'bama leg of the trip compared to the Georgia segment, where about 99% of the roadside debris is puffs of cotton that blew away when adjacent fields were being harvested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 PM

11,044 posts, read 10,789,745 times
Yep. Unfortunately litterbugs and packrats aren't unique to the city or the country.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:01 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,345,313 times
We live in the city part-time, and country NSW, in a town of less than 200. It was better for me when we only came up occasionally. Being in the country so much (5 days/week) is not working for me. We're renting a place in the country, and stay in a cheap hotel in the city. I feel like I now have no home in the city, though I still work there. As that's where I'm used to having a home, it makes me feel a bit lost and sad.
So I agree with what an earlier poster said, if you're used to one background, chances are you'll be unhappy if you try and make the switch.

I'm a p/t college student so when that starts again in a month, it'll be better...and then we're going to New Orleans for 6 weeks and finding a little studio apt in Sydney on our return. So there's light at the end of the tunnel (and it aint a train), but I'm sorry I've come to resent living in a town I used to like a lot. It's my problem, and I'll be doing what I can to remedy it.

For me, it's about not being where I want to be anyway. I want to be in the U.S, preferably New Orleans. I'd like to be able to visit rural areas on weekends. I think I need both, but probably can only ever live in cities. (I'm making moves to remedy that too, don't worry!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living