U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 03:26 PM

11,044 posts, read 10,790,981 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm just some sort of a freak, but I don't understand one thing I keep seeing on the forums over and over. Here's the typical scenario:

Original Post: I want to move to XXX in the state of YYY. (typically, XXX is a small town of 500 to 1500 people in a sparsely populated state.

Response that invariably shows up somewhere in the thread: Oh, no, don't go there. There is no entertainment. You'll hate it and die of boredom. Go somewhere close to a big city for good entertainment and shopping. (of course, there is typically many more discouraging remarks, but this is the one that baffles me)

Okay, sorry folks, I just do not see what is so entertaining about 'big cities.' The area I live in has 'outgrown' me by a long shot (about half a million in the valley and going up steadily). For the life of me, I don't get what's so entertaining here. The only time I'm entertained is when I GET OUT of the city. Somebody clue me in. What is it?

Here's what entertains me: watching a sunrise or sunset, a long walk/hike in the wilderness or mountains or woods or even desert, driving on a lonely scenic highway, exploring new (to me) and small out-of-the-way places, seeing 'critters' out in the wilderness, listening to and watching nature, taking photos of the unspoiled countryside (and later painting the scene in watercolor or oils) or just observing the splendor of nature, writing, curling up with a blanket on a cold evening to read a good book or study something interesting, cooking (been baking bread a lot lately), watching the seasons pass, blah blah...

Like I said, perhaps I'm a freak or insane, but being in the city actually inhibits my entertainment. I have lived in a rural area (many of my 'formative' years), but have lived in a growing 'big city' area for a long time. Sorry... but I can't wait to get out. I find nothing entertaining about it.

So...

Number One: What is it that is supposed to be so entertaining about cities?

Number Two: Am I the only loon out there who does not find anything entertaining or even desirable about them (seems to me like being stuck in hell simply for employment purposes)???
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 04:38 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,208 times
Nope, not at all. Strange minds think alike I guess.

I live on a big hill here in Maine, and my greatest entertainment is watching the logging trucks slide backwards down over the hill when it is icy. One year a truck did not make it, so it rolled over at the bottom of the hill and the load of wood knocked the trailer home of my neighbor right off its wheels. Now that was entertaining!

Getting all dressed up and going to a restaurant where we spend all kinds of money on itty bitty meals with big bills, then going to a movie where a bunch of smelly people all sit while our feet stick to sticky floors while munching away on over priced popcorn, to see actors who have high school educations suddenly think PETA is the answer and insist with their new found popularity that the rest of us should be vegans...but of course continue to spend $15 a ticket to watch them pretend to be something else on the big screen...that my friend is my version of hell on earth.

No thanks...family, friends, the farm and my grill. Keep it simple and keep it real. Some people get it, the rest head to the city.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Nope, not at all. Strange minds think alike I guess.

I live on a big hill here in Maine, and my greatest entertainment is watching the logging trucks slide backwards down over the hill when it is icy. One year a truck did not make it, so it rolled over at the bottom of the hill and the load of wood knocked the trailer home of my neighbor right off its wheels. Now that was entertaining!

Getting all dressed up and going to a restaurant where we spend all kinds of money on itty bitty meals with big bills, then going to a movie where a bunch of smelly people all sit while our feet stick to sticky floors while munching away on over priced popcorn, to see actors who have high school educations suddenly think PETA is the answer and insist with their new found popularity that the rest of us should be vegans...but of course continue to spend $15 a ticket to watch them pretend to be something else on the big screen...that my friend is my version of hell on earth.

No thanks...family, friends, the farm and my grill. Keep it simple and keep it real. Some people get it, the rest head to the city.
That's encouraging. There are two of us now...

Your story did remind me of one thing that can be entertaining around here (as long as nobody gets hurt): watching all the folks who can't drive on winter roads sliding all over the freeway like hockey pucks. Of course, I'd rather be watching it out in the country as with your logging trucks!

Old 01-05-2010, 05:11 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,619,645 times
Some people like art, theater, and music. Some like ethnic food that isn't generally available in rural areas. That shouldn't be too hard to understand.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Some people like art, theater, and music. Some like ethnic food that isn't generally available in rural areas. That shouldn't be too hard to understand.
Okay, actually, that brings up a related aspect that may have been a more interesting original post topic:

The thing is (I'm assuming), if someone directly says "I want to live out in the country" or "I want to be away from the city and out of the mess," I'd assume they already know these things are lacking and they actually want that to be the case. I don't think anyone expects the metropolitan opera to be on the open prairie of South Dakota when they say they want to move there. Maybe it's just me, but that seems a given when the thread is started. So, it just seems to me those sorts of comments are about as useful as... t**s on a boar.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:49 PM

733 posts, read 4,244,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Okay, actually, that brings up a related aspect that may have been a more interesting original post topic:

The thing is (I'm assuming), if someone directly says "I want to live out in the country" or "I want to be away from the city and out of the mess," I'd assume they already know these things are lacking and they actually want that to be the case. I don't think anyone expects the metropolitan opera to be on the open prairie of South Dakota when they say they want to move there. Maybe it's just me, but that seems a given when the thread is started. So, it just seems to me those sorts of comments are about as useful as... t**s on a boar.
Well, as somebody who lives out on the open prairie of South Dakota, you're not far off the mark! Yes, it is a long way to Broadway, the Lincoln Center, or the Metropolitan Opera. Nonetheless, many of us "out here" certainly do appreciate fine arts, theater, and entertainment. A vastly over looked resource by many "outsiders" is our tremendous public broadcasting system. It brings the best of the world right to our living room televisions and automobile radios. Also, driving something like 150 miles or more to go to a live, world class performance at the Washington Pavilion or the Corn Palace or the Civic Center isn't all that uncommon. Interstates and airplanes can get you to the Twin Cities or Chicago or Denver in a big hurry.

For some reason living in the hinterlands gets inexorably intertwined with being a dumb hick. If that means I can live without the clamor and dirt of a big city and still play Mozart on my piano, have challenging discussions on progressive theology at my church, listen to Beethoven and Charles Ives on my radio, and take a couple trips each year to the Guthrie Theater [or the St. Paul Civic Center, or the Plymouth Playhouse, or the Old Log Theater, or the Walker Art Gallery, or the Science Museum, or the Fitzgerald Theater, etc. etc. etc.] in Minneapolis/St. Paul, by golly I'll be a dumb hick because I've got the best of BOTH worlds!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:03 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,619,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

Sure, if someone is talking about moving to the country, it's kind of stupid for cityboy to barge in talking about how boring it will be out in the country.
But that's a little different from pretending you can't understand what anyone would find entertaining about cities, isn't it?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
Well, as somebody who lives out on the open prairie of South Dakota, you're not far off the mark! Yes, it is a long way to Broadway, the Lincoln Center, or the Metropolitan Opera. Nonetheless, many of us "out here" certainly do appreciate fine arts, theater, and entertainment. A vastly over looked resource by many "outsiders" is our tremendous public broadcasting system. It brings the best of the world right to our living room televisions and automobile radios. Also, driving something like 150 miles or more to go to a live, world class performance at the Washington Pavilion or the Corn Palace or the Civic Center isn't all that uncommon. Interstates and airplanes can get you to the Twin Cities or Chicago or Denver in a big hurry.

For some reason living in the hinterlands gets inexorably intertwined with being a dumb hick. If that means I can live without the clamor and dirt of a big city and still play Mozart on my piano, have challenging discussions on progressive theology at my church, listen to Beethoven and Charles Ives on my radio, and take a couple trips each year to the Guthrie Theater [or the St. Paul Civic Center, or the Plymouth Playhouse, or the Old Log Theater, or the Walker Art Gallery, or the Science Museum, or the Fitzgerald Theater, etc. etc. etc.] in Minneapolis/St. Paul, by golly I'll be a dumb hick because I've got the best of BOTH worlds!
And that's exactly the way I look at it too. With modern technology, I don't really have to go much of anywhere to experience a concert or such event. Being a musician, I used to go to a lot of live concerts. But nowadays, the prices are pathetic and I've played music so many years in a million nightclubs, it just doesn't interest me that much any more. Very rarely, I'll go to a club to see a local band. Even the tiniest little hamlet often has a club (believe me... I've played in lots of them!). These days, I'd rather just watch a concert on video. If I see a 'golden moment' I can always rewind. Can't do that at a live concert.

As for driving to a city to do whatever... exactly! Driving on an interstate allows a trip that used to take days only take a couple of hours. And it's even quite relaxing driving down a wide-open interstate. Even if one is living way, way away from a city, it's never REALLY that far away--unless you're still travelling by buggy or something!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 PM

5,778 posts, read 6,688,814 times
Last February the greatest entertainment here was when we got two days of rain in February that turned the roads into such sheets of ice that nothing moved - so we all put on our skates and skated down the highway It was a very nice two days and the best and most miraculous thing was that no one got killed on the roads. Mostly because anyone that tried leaving their driveways never made it out of them due to the ice. And it was a pretty perfect ice surface.

Some folks had to spread straw for the cattle because they couldn't stand up. We kept our livestock inside once I saw how it was raining.
Attached Thumbnails
Rural Areas vs Cities: Entertainment-skating-highway.jpg  

Last edited by netwit; 01-05-2010 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-05-2010, 08:34 PM

867 posts, read 1,861,141 times
It really just depends on what your definition of entertainment is my friend has ideas of things that are entertaining that I would NEVER dream of doing and likewise there's things I love to do that he just finds boring after a while (and so do I but it's usually much later) so...............it just depends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living