U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:41 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,629,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
However, in defense of newcomers------------don't let the folks who are already living there run " rough shod" over you.

I have also witnessed newcomers taking advantage of by people who own more land than the newcomer and thus show little respect for the small lanowner who is the " newcomer"

One instance is the bigger landowner turning around on your land as he tills his fields.

Good fences make good neighbors !
Good point. The "Born and Bred" attitude in some local people annoys me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 06:45 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,757,509 times
We're about to move to a small town. I really hope the "decorative outdoor lighting" in that "Citiot" brochure wasn't referring to Christmas lights. Or we'll have some really PO'd neighbors for about 3 weeks in December. While we're looking forward to small town life in a semi-rural area, I'm not going to make my husband give up his display. We've mentioned it to the realtor (who will be our next door neighbor). They smiled and made some "smart ass" cracks, but if it will really offend them, they should've been more vocal. Jokes about the Griswolds just tend to encourage my dh's urge to buy more Christmas lights.

We were VERY open with the realtor and others in town as we spent time there to find out whether or not we'd be a good fit - moving to a small town will be an adjustment and we wanted to be sure we'd fit before we commit. If the people there were holding back and thought they were just being nice, then they were foolish - and will be just causing trouble for all of us down the road. One of the reasons we're leaving the suburbs is the lack of honesty and values in people these days.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:35 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,901,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
We're about to move to a small town. I really hope the "decorative outdoor lighting" in that "Citiot" brochure wasn't referring to Christmas lights. Or we'll have some really PO'd neighbors for about 3 weeks in December. While we're looking forward to small town life in a semi-rural area, I'm not going to make my husband give up his display. We've mentioned it to the realtor (who will be our next door neighbor). They smiled and made some "smart ass" cracks, but if it will really offend them, they should've been more vocal. Jokes about the Griswolds just tend to encourage my dh's urge to buy more Christmas lights.
Well, I DOUBT that Christmas lights would be an issue, unless you all are really like the Griswold's and cause brownouts when you turn them on, or airplanes to attempt to land at your place or astronauts to comment on being able to see it from the shuttle.

To me that 'decorative lighting' refers to those types of places in which the owner is excessively proud of the house...you know, the house with the multiple spotlights aimed at the house lighting it up...the rows of lights that make drives look like runways...the kind of lighting that emits so much glow that folks in the area aren't able to see the night sky...

Old 01-30-2010, 01:15 PM

20,483 posts, read 38,395,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Well, I DOUBT that Christmas lights would be an issue, unless you all are really like the Griswold's and cause brownouts when you turn them on, or airplanes to attempt to land at your place or astronauts to comment on being able to see it from the shuttle.

To me that 'decorative lighting' refers to those types of places in which the owner is excessively proud of the house...you know, the house with the multiple spotlights aimed at the house lighting it up...the rows of lights that make drives look like runways...the kind of lighting that emits so much glow that folks in the area aren't able to see the night sky...
This, indeed, is what is being referred to. Unless, of course, you leave your Christmas lights up and on year round.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:29 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,757,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This, indeed, is what is being referred to. Unless, of course, you leave your Christmas lights up and on year round.
So... you think they ARE going to cause a problem? just kidding.

He is certainly working on Griswold status. He's being slowed down now because I'm insisting on switching over to LEDs. I convinced him because he kept blowing circuits - but not the neighbors... yet! His plan is to get the utility company to put out a second box for the yard "someday". We'll probably have to get a permit for that - and that's when we'll find out what our neighbors REALLY think of the display!

Old 01-30-2010, 03:22 PM

106 posts, read 209,202 times
Default Ask your neighbor.

Quote:
What stops the local people from reaching out to a clearly floundering city person to let them know what's up? What can you do or say to help a newcomer from the big city not to be a "citiot?" (lol...still love that word)
Around here, there seems to be a "wait & see" attitude about all new people until they've shown what they can or can't do. If you survive your first long gray damp winter without burning down the house with your new woodstove or overdosing on antidepressants, we might check you out more closely as a potential community member.

IME, offering help and getting rebuffed by city-know-it-alls or urbanites that seem uncomfortable or scared of us gets old. We've been the cultural butt of urban jokemongers for so long it seems like sometimes there IS a bit of tit-4-tat energy ---- it's the law of the jungle; every new kid gets tested.

If you need help, be humble and ask. Honesty and humility are very disarming! Local diner, hardware store, beauty parlor, school football game.... And offer energy in return, money, goods, skills. It's all about social position. If you're new, you're the lowest and you have to earn your way up. Some networks are tighter than others. Make yourself USEFUL in some way, and doors should open.

Unspoken rules are the easiest to break and the hardest to figure out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living