U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 04:27 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,397,054 times

Advertisements

gossip in small towns, so true!!!

This thread reminds me of that song "Everyone dies famous in a small town".
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,681,328 times
There is some advantages of " gossip" in a farming comunity.

You find out quickly who not to accept a personal check from.

Who not to believe when he says--------" I'll pay you next Wednesday for this load of hay.

Who not to lend tools or machinery to.

Who not to rent land to cuz despite offering you the highest price per acre, you got a hard time getting paid.

Who not to buy hay by the ton from, cuz he cheats you on the weight.

Yup, farming " gossip" is a good way for shysters o learn they soon will be exposed.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:38 PM

37,134 posts, read 43,052,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I think there is truth to there being more gossip in small towns. Small town women tend to be less educated and more likely to not work outside the home. Combine low education with bored housewife and you get someone who has no life so they have to talk about others to make themselves feel important.
I don't know that it's that there's MORE gossip, there's just fewer people, so it reaches everyone in town, and quickly. People gossip in larger places, too, it just gets more diluted because not everyone knowns everyone. Gossip is human nature. Not one of us, regardless of whether we're highly educated, bored housewives, gainfully employed, or whatever, can truthfully say that we've never speculated about another person's business with other people. People talk about people. It's just how it is.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:37 PM

486 posts, read 924,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't know that it's that there's MORE gossip, there's just fewer people, so it reaches everyone in town, and quickly. People gossip in larger places, too, it just gets more diluted because not everyone knowns everyone. Gossip is human nature. Not one of us, regardless of whether we're highly educated, bored housewives, gainfully employed, or whatever, can truthfully say that we've never speculated about another person's business with other people. People talk about people. It's just how it is.
While I agree with what you say about it being human nature, I'll also say that it can be more destructive to personal lives in small towns. In a bigger city, if something malicious is being said, you can always adjust, move to a different neighborhood, change jobs, etc. In a small town, that's hard to escape, and the personal blends with the professional much more easily.

I can imagine it would be especially infuriating if what was said was not true, or if say, to go to marmac's example, a store owner or someone who has done business with you decides to spread false information about you to give you a bad name.

No, it's not always 'the bad guy' who gets a bad name when the rumors start flying. Sometimes the bad guy is the one starting the rumors.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:57 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,681,328 times
------" a store owner or someone who has done business with you decides to spread false information about you to give someone a bad name "--

Wouldn't happen where I live.
Store owners need to stay on the good side of customers who are honest and trustworthy.

They are the ones who keep the store owner in business cuz the dis-honest ones and the check bouncers aren't gonna keep him in business.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:59 PM

56,597 posts, read 75,678,865 times
relocation is the only answer. in the small southern town, the nail which stands out is hammered down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living