Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:30 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,184,850 times

Advertisements

I lived in a town of 350.They had me as a womanizer,Drug Dealer and Crazy.The Law came to my house to talk to me about my Chickens because a neighbor complained.He put the Cuffs on me because the neighbor told him I was dangerous.

hillman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 11:13 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,118,337 times
From reading an earlier post of yours about leaving your Ex for your present wife, writing to another woman while married to your current wife-----------the --"womanizer" -- label seemed to fit.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
From reading an earlier post of yours about leaving your Ex for your present wife, writing to another woman while married to your current wife-----------the --"womanizer" -- label seemed to fit.
Well yes my wife knew this but I would rather she found out from me than through gossip.Plus she knew this before I moved in with her that is what attracted her to me.

hillman

Old 01-22-2010, 10:48 PM

4,434 posts, read 6,951,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
^ LOL. I'm sure it's only small towns that contain gossipy people. Hard to believe some are so thin-skinned that they would actually pick up and relocate, due to gossip? Pssshhh........sounds like they didn't like it there to begin with.

I don't mind being gossiped about, it gives lazy people something to do.....hehe
Well some of the gossip can really ruin a persons reputation there, and infact there are people out there deliberaly spread rumours about someone in order to hurt the person. But of course now I live in a big city but of course no one is immune to it esp in workplace or school, or groups or clubs people attend. However I found the experience of small town gossip to be more personally invasive.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,295,190 times
Personal vendettas can also start with gossip and quickly move on to defamation, harrassment, and legal problems.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:38 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,521,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well some of the gossip can really ruin a persons reputation there, and infact there are people out there deliberaly spread rumours about someone in order to hurt the person. But of course now I live in a big city but of course no one is immune to it esp in workplace or school, or groups or clubs people attend. However I found the experience of small town gossip to be more personally invasive.
This is why I can never go back to my hometown in Connecticut. Its natural to be curious about what somebody else is up to. But there is a limit to that, and sadly too many people cross that line

I live in Orlando which is a fairly large metro area (2 million people) and where I work is gossip central. A lot of young people in my age bracket work there. A majority of people I work with directly are ages 16-24 so its gossip central, even among managers who are much older

Even if somebody falsely trashes your reputation, if it becomes damaged it is nearly impossible to repair. Try as you might, people will always think you're such and such, or that you were having an affair with so and so, or that you did this and that

Stubbornness is human nature sadly

Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,118,337 times
When one sleeps with another persons wife/husband, and that person you sleep with has a big mouth--------one should be more carefull who they sleep with rather than crying--"small town gossip"--afterwards.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
When one sleeps with another persons wife/husband, and that person you sleep with has a big mouth--------one should be more carefull who they sleep with rather than crying--"small town gossip"--afterwards.
Yea but word of mouth drums up more business.Had this happen several times of women being curious.

Oh back when I was younger I didn't really care unless someone was just trying to cause trouble.

hillman

Old 01-24-2010, 11:19 AM

486 posts, read 1,031,051 times
In the small town where I grew up, your name could be trashed because of who was in your group of friends. I was the type who felt fairly comfortable with several different cliques. In one of them, there was a gay dude who hung out in our circle of 8-10 guys and girls who were pretty close. By the time I graduated high school, it was a popular (as well as false) idea around town that all the people in this group of friends were gay or at least bi. Basically, the only accepted groups where those who were good at football (or those who tried to be), or the good ol' boys who drove pick up trucks and wore those nut-hugger (to me these were the gayest looking things in town) Wrangler jeans.

Mom eventually had to have a talk with me during high school about who I was hanging out with because of some of the gossipers around town. This among other things irritated the hell out of me, and after I went off to college I never went back. I prefer to live in a place where at least you can do what you want/hang out with who you want, and it won't be the subject of gossip all over town.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:26 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,849,189 times
In a small town I lived in there was a woman who worked in the local gynecologist's office. When some noteworthy patient came in she would be on the phone reporting to her friends that the mayor's wife had chlamidia. That was before HIPAA regulations, but still very tactless. How do I know this? My nosey-body friend who had no life used to listen to cordless telephone calls on her police scanner. Somehow she could pick up the right frequency. She listed to phone conversations and would often call and report to me other's personal business.

I think there is truth to there being more gossip in small towns. Small town women tend to be less educated and more likely to not work outside the home. Combine low education with bored housewife and you get someone who has no life so they have to talk about others to make themselves feel important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living