U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 8,547 times

Advertisements

Im an 18 year old guy thats finishing up his senior year in high school. I live in a suburban town in Baltimore County MD and have been living here all my life. I REALLY cannot stand it here anymore and i wanna get the HELL out of here. Ive always wanted to live in a nice rural town. Have a little bit of land with some dirtbikes or something. Have the mountains not too far away, go camping on the weekends or fishing, rock climbing, kayaking you get the idea. Along with moving, after high school i want to go into the HVAC trade. So wherever i move im gonna have to find a tradeschool or an apprenticeship program for HVAC. Ive been looking at places like Montana and Colorado. Now i know that im not just gonna be able to move off to some rural town immediatly and study HVAC. Im perfectly fine living in an apartment for a while i just dont want to do that here in Baltimore. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 06:31 PM

135 posts, read 346,349 times
Check into Thadeus Stevens and Penn Tech these are real good schools here in PA and the nice thing is there are other decent schools and cost of living is very low and apartments are cheap in alot of places, here in Schuylkill county and Northern Dauphin county you can have some great places to ride and get your schooling done and NW PA is another place where you can get some ground affordable, and other outdoor activities are available all over the state
plus after a few years experience here goes a long way elsewhere in the country.
PA has some of the best schools in the nation there is not a thing you can't learn here and PA has some of the best rates on average for tuition anywhere.
Good Luck

Old 01-28-2010, 10:36 AM

10,528 posts, read 10,447,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-native71 View Post
Check into Thadeus Stevens and Penn Tech these are real good schools here in PA and the nice thing is there are other decent schools and cost of living is very low and apartments are cheap in alot of places, here in Schuylkill county and Northern Dauphin county you can have some great places to ride and get your schooling done and NW PA is another place where you can get some ground affordable, and other outdoor activities are available all over the state
plus after a few years experience here goes a long way elsewhere in the country.
PA has some of the best schools in the nation there is not a thing you can't learn here and PA has some of the best rates on average for tuition anywhere.
Good Luck

Let me also add to all of the good information above, if you're going into HVAC you may also want to think about learning a little bit about Geothermal heating and air-conditioning, you will find that in some areas where access to gas or propane or other kinds of fossil fuel are not easily accessible, with a geothermal system all you need is a source of electricity and it's a lot easier to get access to in some of the very rural and outlying areas. Just something to really think about..

Old 02-01-2010, 09:55 PM

135 posts, read 346,349 times
You definitely need to know Geo thermal heating and cooling now and some programs are integrating it into their offerings since it is not much more time to learn it since it integrates all the same principles as conventional HVAC.
Good luck and hope the best for your future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or