U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 AM

791 posts, read 2,713,183 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a small town in the west (excluding CA). I would prefer to be within 1 1/2 hours from a larger city that would provide airport access.

Ideally this place would have plenty of sunshine and lakes nearby.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 02:01 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,368,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
I am looking for a small town in the west (excluding CA). I would prefer to be within 1 1/2 hours from a larger city that would provide airport access.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Sandpoint, but minus the sunshine...

Old 02-01-2010, 08:48 PM

14,719 posts, read 45,829,256 times
Many small towns in Eastern WA would meet your criteria. Depends on what kind of lake you want, how much sun, how tolerant you are of snow, etc.

Also what you want in an airport. Would a small regional airport like Tri-Cities work for you, or do you want something like Sea-Tac?

Old 02-02-2010, 03:18 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,903,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Many small towns in Eastern WA would meet your criteria. Depends on what kind of lake you want, how much sun, how tolerant you are of snow, etc.

Also what you want in an airport. Would a small regional airport like Tri-Cities work for you, or do you want something like Sea-Tac?
...or something in-between like Spokane? Decisions, decisions...

Old 02-02-2010, 07:31 PM
mlb

3,484 posts, read 3,007,768 times
Moab, Utah

Cedar City, Utah

Without the lakes..... but the Colorado River is closeby....

Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 PM

791 posts, read 2,713,183 times
Thanks for your responses!

Well Sandpoint, ID is beautiful but I did live in CDA and it was way too cloudy for me.

I would like to have as much sun as possible. It's high up on my list.

As to what kind of airport, I need something that has frequent flights to CA for family visits. I know when I lived in Idaho the airport in Spokane was great so it doesn't have to be huge.

Snow doesn't bother me.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:40 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,903,847 times
Quote:
Thanks for your responses!

Well Sandpoint, ID is beautiful but I did live in CDA and it was way too cloudy for me.

I would like to have as much sun as possible. It's high up on my list.

As to what kind of airport, I need something that has frequent flights to CA for family visits. I know when I lived in Idaho the airport in Spokane was great so it doesn't have to be huge.

Snow doesn't bother me.
Well, if CDA is too cloudy, go just a bit further west or southwest...Moscow/Pullman, Clarkston/Lewiston, the little towns west (north or south) of Spokane will get more sun than CDA.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 PM

709 posts, read 1,948,358 times
Moapa Valley, a hidden oasis in the desert. The community sits on the edge of Lake Mead National Park and Valley of the Fire. We're just 60 miles from Vegas, and home to the Clark County Fair and Rodeo. There's lots to do all year round.
Featuring the Nevada Communities of Overton, Logandale, Glendale and Moapa

Last edited by roger6087; 02-03-2010 at 01:35 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 03:18 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,759,709 times
There are plenty of small towns within a strick of a larger city. Northern CA is full of them. Chico is a university town with a great historic feel to it but has the big box shopping on the newer end as well. Hospitals are fantastic and they have public transportation. The home prices are down and if I were tempted to go back home, this would be the opportune time to buy. Sacramento is only 1.5 hours away and Redding about and hour. You can be in San Francisco in 4 hours. It really is a beautiful little town. If the mountains are more your liking, then Paradise sits up the butte about 18 miles or so. You will get a little snow and sometimes a lot of snow, but it doesnt last long. They have a neat little art center that I miss daily. The other town I think of is Cool, or Auburn, or Grass Valley which are closer to Sacramento.

Sunshine a plenty in AZ and Prescott is great for the retired who still want to be able to go to a large city.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:20 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,759,709 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Sorry I just saw excluding CA. Check out Prescott AZ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living