U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:05 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,685,341 times

Advertisements

Maybe NAIS should be revived as NIIS ( National Illegal Identification System )

I think we need a system to track ILLEGALS after they are deported so they don't keep coming back over and over to work at meat packing plants, poultry processing plants, and mega dairy farms .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Sorry, through my horse connections (not on a forum) I know several people in Australia who have spoken to me about the problems that their equivalent of NAIS (NLIS) has caused there.

I can, however, provide you with some information.

Australian Beef Association on effectiveness of NLIS - 2006.

Australian Beef Association NLIS Report June 2009

There are quite a few other links I could provide, but that's a start.

I agree that being able to trace animals with problems is important. You do realize that there are already programs in place that do that, right?

Sure didn't seem like there was any program in place as they tried to track down the origin of the mad cow .

Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 AM

20,489 posts, read 38,407,488 times
You mean the one that was found here, the origins of which were found pretty quickly? Or some other cow?

By the way, you did get that as of the time that the USDA was using "mad cow" as the reason we had to have NAIS, 150 people worldwide EVER (at that point, it was in 20 years) had died of the disease that they got from eating tainted meat? (Well, actually, tainted brain or spinal column, I believe is what is necessary.)

Old 02-08-2010, 02:31 PM

It makes no difference if only 1 person died.

Any time there is a scare , millions in dollars are lost due to panic due to people's fear.

The longer it takes to find the source, the greater the panic, the more the market prices tumble, and the longer it takes to restore market confidence.

You and I may agree that the danger was overblown, but having the scare in the media gets people ( many) in panic mode.

The Alar apple scare and the bacon scare of years back come to mind.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:53 PM

20,489 posts, read 38,407,488 times
My point was that the USDA was going out of its way to encourage panic in order to get its way, and there is no way that they didn't know the same facts that I was able to find relatively easily. Is that REALLY the kind of behavior you want to encourage in our government, and doesn't it make you the least bit hesitant to buy what they're telling you about how "We're from the government and we're here to help you"?

By the way, I didn't attach a link, and I'll have to go back and find it, but there was an interesting blog, with statistics, regarding how NLIS was sold to the Australian Cattle Industry and it seemed to be working just fine until the US got back into the South Korean market and then it became quite clear that it was all just a bunch of nonsense sold to them to get them to go along. When I find it again, I'll post it here so you can see how that was sold to them, too.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:48 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,014,033 times
Disregarding the difficulties regarding animal disease epidemiology, it seems almost certain that if the U.S. continues to lose anymore of its economic status in the world, it will become more and more difficult to convince nations who import our beef that our production systems are safe. Export/import laws in every country have always been highly political and our stake in that poker game seem to be diminishing rapidly. If it continues, we will likely see ourselves exporting into more demanding markets.

Not to turn this into a political discussion but I wish Obama all the luck in the world in wanting to double our exports during this time in America.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:09 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,608 times
HPR...no apology necessary. With farming, and industry that is so regulated anyway, it is impossible to talk farming and not intermix politics. Its just how the crazy industry goes...and why it is so unique.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:54 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,014,033 times
BTW BrokenTap, way back when BSE was first becoming an issue in the U.S. I worked for USDA, APHIS as a headquarters biologist and am somewhat familiar with the problem as it existed back then. I recall that the APHIS vets were quite disturbed over the prospects of a major outbreak in the U.S. At that time, we didn't know what to do with cattle carcasses that had to be disposed. I'm sure much has been learned about this disease since I was involved although I still enjoy reading online comments about the regulatory aspects of the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living