Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:30 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Boise is not green either. It`s very brown.
As the climate continues to change and drought-stricken regions worsen; there are few places West or South of the Rockies that are green.

Last edited by Submariner; 10-20-2010 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 11:44 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,002,068 times
Western New Mexico. We have Juniper, Pinon Pine and after the summer rains, lots of sunflowers.
Some snow each year, some years not much some years up to 2 ft.
October is about in the 70's -60's, nights about 40.

Where we are: you can see for miles. Lots of elk,deer, etc.

Check out: Fence Lake, Quemado, Pie Town..

Old 10-20-2010, 01:24 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
As the climate continues to change and drought-stricken regions worsen; there are few places West or South of the Rockies that are green.
Boise has been brown before the words "climate change" or "global warming" were ever thought of.

The areas of the west I'm most familiar with haven't changed over my 50+ years. However, when they only get 6-9 inches of precip a year, how could you tell?

Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Utah's wages are so low and many have two jobs in order to live there.
Yes, Utah's wages are lower than the national average, but so is the cost of living.

Quote:
In that Mormon area you better be Mormon to get a job. That is my own opinion. I could be wrong.
You are wrong. Since Utah has one of the nation's lowest unemployment rates in the nation, if not the lowest, apparently a pretty substantial number of non-Mormons are also employed. This is from a recent issue of Forbes:

But some areas are doing better than others, and for many of them, it isn't an accident. Who's doing the best job when it comes to fostering growth? Utah, according to our fifth annual look at the Best States for Business. The Beehive State captured the top spot in our rankings for the first time, after a four-year run by Virginia at the head of the list.

Slide Show: The Best States For Business

Utah's economy has expanded 3.5% annually over the past five years, faster than any other state except North Dakota. This is three-and-a-half times faster than the U.S. as a whole. Total employment in the U.S. has shrunk over the past five years, but in Utah it increased 1.5% annually, fourth-best in the nation. Household incomes have surged 5% annually, which is tops in the country and twice as fast as the national average.

As for a "green" rural area in Utah, possibly Heber City would work for you. This is from their website:

"Tourism is a year-round industry in the Heber Valley, providing opportunities for cross-country and downhill skiing, golfing, hot air balloon rides, hiking, boating, boating, fishing and many other outdoor activities. Heber City is home to the Heber Valley Historic Railroad (HVRR). The valley is in the neighborhood of three large reservoirs, Jordanelle, Deer Creek, and Strawberry, and is surrounded by state and federal lands. Heber City is the county seat of Wasatch County. Utah Valley University has a secondary campus north of Heber City. The Heber City Municipal Airport is located at the south end the city. U.S. 40 and U.S. 189 connect Heber City to Salt Lake City, Park City, and Provo City, all within 45 minutes or less travel time."

Heber may get more snow than you'd like, though. It's kind of hard for me to say. It sure is a gorgeous area, though. Also, the population is around 10,000. That may be larger than what you're looking for.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-20-2010 at 06:12 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 09:04 AM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Areas of Northeast Oregon, which many people erroneously think is all desert, can be green:

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/c...hermaps/or.gif

Most of these towns are in the green area:
Local Communities Adjacent to Wallowa-Whitman National Forest

Old 10-21-2010, 09:31 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Areas of Northeast Oregon, which many people erroneously think is all desert, can be green:

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/c...hermaps/or.gif

Most of these towns are in the green area:
Local Communities Adjacent to Wallowa-Whitman National Forest
This is one of my favorite regions of the nation, used to live in it and have been going there my entire life...but from an easterner's perspective, these might be called "greenish". My eastern in-laws have used the word "desolate". (A plus, in my opinion.)

Of the communities on the list, I had earlier in this thread recommended La Grande. But of the towns on that list, there's no one that would call Clarkston, Baker City, or Riggins green.

But, you don't have to go far to be in it! Personally, I think it's just about a perfect area--not desert, but not rain drenched as parts of the west coast or east.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:38 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Quote:
Most of the Idaho panhandle is green, and the Pacific northwest as well as northeastern Washington and northwestern Montana. Lots of water and lots of forests.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:59 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Most of the Idaho panhandle is green, and the Pacific northwest as well as northeastern Washington and northwestern Montana. Lots of water and lots of forests.
Yes. There are a minority of regions that are not very dry out West.

I lived in Washington for 4 years.

That does not change the problems of most of the West.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:54 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Quote:
Yes. There are a minority of regions that are not very dry out West.

I lived in Washington for 4 years.

That does not change the problems of most of the West.
Okay...
I thought the OP here was looking for a place in the west that is green so I think it's probably more helpful to tell him/her the places that are green, rather than aren't. No?

Old 10-31-2010, 10:38 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
This is probably a long shot but I`m looking for a small town in the west that is "green," not desert. More sunny days than cloudy. I don`t mind cool temps and a little snow, but not tons of it and not single digits.

There is a string of small towns on the west side of Trinity County, in Northern CA. I think the largest one has a population of 300.
The weather is great, little snow in the lower elevations, very lush and green. It is not cold and gloomy like the coast, and not hot and dry like Redding.

I can't say enough nice things about this area. I couldn't imagine a more beautiful place to live.

But the unemployment is high and there are lots of pot farmers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living