Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:52 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,891,661 times

Advertisements

Young, AZ. Very small, very isolated, no jobs. But it has Arizona's sunny days, four seasons, doesn't get cooler than 30 or so during the day during the winter (and never for very long) surrounded by ponderosa pine forests (valley itself is juniper grassland).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 04:59 PM

780 posts, read 1,337,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Young, AZ. Very small, very isolated, no jobs. But it has Arizona's sunny days, four seasons, doesn't get cooler than 30 or so during the day during the winter (and never for very long) surrounded by ponderosa pine forests (valley itself is juniper grassland).
Sounds like a great place to retire LOL especially signficiant the no jobs thing, and of course, the name of the town. lol

Old 04-04-2010, 11:06 AM

17 posts, read 65,133 times
You can not beat St George for sunny days and high desert ( it is beautiful) it is also controlled bythe Mormon church, the average stay is 2-3 years. It takes some getting used to. Boise is nice, Prescott Az in nice, a lot depends on how much money you have on if you can afford it or not.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:39 PM

37,249 posts, read 60,994,380 times
I recommend that you check out

The National Atlas of the United States of America

And play with their maps a bit.

It will teach you a lot.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:53 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,438,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
This is probably a long shot but I`m looking for a small town in the west that is "green," not desert. More sunny days than cloudy. I don`t mind cool temps and a little snow, but not tons of it and not single digits.
Silver City, New Mexico

Old 04-04-2010, 07:37 PM

25,295 posts, read 18,445,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butte50 View Post
You can not beat St George for sunny days and high desert ( it is beautiful) it is also controlled bythe Mormon church, the average stay is 2-3 years. It takes some getting used to. Boise is nice, Prescott Az in nice, a lot depends on how much money you have on if you can afford it or not.
St. George is not even close to being 'green.' It can get cold in the winter but is not on average (average January low: 26; record low: -11). It is, however, hotter than ten shades of hell in the summer.

For what the OP is looking for, there is pretty much only the So Cal/central Cal coast, parts of coastal Oregon, the lee side of the Olympic range (Port Angeles area), San Juan Islands area, etc.

Other than isolated pockets, mountains, and river valleys, 'green' in the west is a tall order. It's largely semi-arid 'steppe' or outright desert. Most of it has cold winters as well, other than the coast. The areas inland that really are 'green' are also generally mountainous, high-snowfall areas with cold winters. Other than the coastal areas, I think the best bet (as mentioned earlier) might be northern Washington state--perhaps Kettle Falls region? Still cold in the winter though, with significant snow.

Last edited by ChrisC; 04-04-2010 at 07:47 PM..

Old 04-06-2010, 10:03 PM

26 posts, read 50,225 times
Try someplace in Hawaii, maybe the big island. That should work. the Faulkland Islands or New Zealand might fit your requirements.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:46 PM

121 posts, read 340,666 times
If it hasn't already been mentioned yet, Corvallis, Oregon, one of only 2 or 3 "green" cities in the western US as designated by the US government (forgot which department though - whichever dept handles 'green' stuff

Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,309,473 times
Paso Robles, CA. San Luis Obispo, while a beautiful city is just that a city. It is still small, and if I could afford to live in CA I would move there or to Santa Margarita which is close to it. Utah's wages are so low and many have two jobs in order to live there. We checked that out years ago. In that Mormon area you better be Mormon to get a job. That is my own opinion. I could be wrong. If I recall correctly, Silver City is very polluted. Just check these towns up. I grew up in Paso, and it is green. Every five years you can get a little snow. It is in a valley with hills around it. Has a historic town, close to ocean.

Ashland, OR is another really nice place. I would live there too if I could afford to.

It depends on what you mean by small. For example, I once wanted to live in McCloud and or Edna, CA but they get a lot of snow. They are small. I have two friends that moved to the small town of Drain, OR. That is really too small.

Looks like cl hasn't been back to post, but maybe these posts will help someone else.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,967,205 times
Boise is not green either. It`s very brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living