U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,689,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Bigcats we do not get home delivery here either. Every one in town has a po box. I do not have the same trouble getting to it you do. But our post office also had large lock boxes they will put a larger package in and leave the Key in our small pobox.

---everyone in town has a po box-------

Very common in our smaller towns also ( Minnesota)

If you live outside the city limits,there is rural mail delivery however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 09:33 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,738,903 times
No home mail delivery out here either, not even for those who live right next to the PO Since we're about 30 minutes from the village and rarely come into town, our Post Mistress is kind enough to email us (we have satellite internet, but no phone) to let us know when we have a package or something that needs a signature. I think it's mostly so she can clear out the space in her tiny office, but it's still nice of her, especially when we're expecting something important.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Are there some rural areas of Alaska that have rural mail routes ?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:10 AM

Hmmm... maybe some of the larger rural towns that are one of a cluster. I do know that Kodiak Island has home delivery, because it's only a couple dozens miles to get everyone; but I think that's because of the Coast Guard being there. If any of the more remote villages have actual home delivery, it's probably out of the kindness of the post maste/mistresses heart (or they're all related in some way). Most villages are lucky to be big enough for an airstrip to land the mail plane and have a post office, so they are usually only staffed with one person so no delivery drivers

Old 05-14-2010, 01:22 PM

I ask because a female relative of my wife had a rural mail delivery route 40 years ago.

She talked about the hundreds of miles she put on every day and stayed on her job til she was retired from the US Postal Service.

I don't know what part of Alaska she was employed,though.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:38 PM

Yeah, I do know that some of the larger towns like Willow and Sterling have rural home delivery as long as you're not too far out; but they're probably 20x the size of my neighboring villages. I guess USPS doesn't feel that 75-100 residents justifies a salary for a delivery driver. We only had a post master and a post mistress at the same time because our post master was retiring and training his replacement.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 PM

1,830 posts, read 4,992,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
So you live in a rural area, I assume that you are at least 40 miles away from the shopping stores in your area.

What do you buy or rent or a service that you hire on a regular basis that requires that you travel to that store? OR do you make most of you purchases online? (minus food)

I'm trying to figure out what you still need when you want to live off the land in a rural area. What services/products do you wish were more convenient in your area, assuming it would not comprise the small population you desire?

Thanks!
We live in a very rural area where the deer and the antelope roam. The population is maybe 300 when you include those who live on the outskirts of the community--10 miles out. The village (not large enough to be called even that) has only a tiny post office, a church, a volunteer fire station, and an old school now used for "community events". The nearest store is 1.5 hours away. We have to drive there for groceries, gas, banking, mediocre medical care, drugs, automotive service, and a few other things.... like a Starbuck latte. I shop online (only available by satellite) if I want clothing other than what Walmart sells and for books. Living this far out is a pain in the .

Old 05-25-2010, 04:19 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,435,295 times
There is rural mail delivery for those out of the city. There is also ONE street within the city that gets home delivery. I am not sure how or why. My friend did one mail rout that was 83 miles each way.

Chris

Old 07-07-2010, 11:22 PM

5,926 posts, read 4,136,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
The problem of living rural is that sooner for than later suburbia shows up. Nearly 20 years ago my town was rural. The only thing close to a chain name was IGA (food market). We had a spataring of small stores and a gas station. Nearest real market was 48 (an hours drive) miles away. Between here and there was nothing. Come to today, we have three lights, Food Lion, Tractor supply, McDonalds,Wendys and a better selection of stores where we really dont need to leave the area for anything. We still have a rural feel. But now the real markets have moved closer. Within 20-25 minutes I can be at a real mall and add 5 more minutes at a Nordstroms (go figure). But drive past the cluster of stores (about a miles worth) and we are back rural. But wait......Walmart is coming.
Our area of northern Maine is somewhat similar. We are an "outpost" area, two or three hours from any real city (and that's only 50,000 people). But even here, some chain stores have moved into the next town over (including a WalMart superstore), and there's a small mall there. I grew up in that town, but moved fifteen minutes away to the town I now live in, because it's avoided that kind of stuff that's happened in my old home town (including a "strip" area on either end of town). If we REALLY need anything, we can just drive over.

Last edited by maineguy8888; 07-07-2010 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 07-07-2010, 11:30 PM

Pretty soon the only places left without chain stores and restaurants are going to be Greenland and Antarctica... and if they ever figure out a better way to stay warm and make power then even those places aren't safe. Urban and suburban sprawl is a disease, a secondary infection from our continual population growth. The biggest question that comes to my mind... if you keep sucking up all the rural countryside, where are you going to grow and raise all the food required to feed the urban and suburban masses? How long before we're eating "recycled" food?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living