U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:21 PM

261 posts, read 1,166,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I prefer culture and good food vs stagnant landscapes that never change.
You've never been to Newport News, have you? Living there, the OP doesn't get to enjoy any of the above...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 11:20 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,579,264 times
Having family near is a must if you live in the woods . Otherwise it is very lonely and boring . But it still beats the city life ,imo .

Old 03-11-2010, 01:09 AM

5,374 posts, read 11,280,182 times
I think that with a bit of planning, you can have both.
I live in a suburb of a *city* that is actually just a big village.
In the summer, visitors can not believe that we live close to *big city amenities*.
In the winter, it is really dreary (to say the least, so we just go somewhat into *hibernation* ....)

Stagnant landscapes ?
Nope, I do not think so. Anytime I look out any window, I see something else new.
Culture and good food ?
Culture = Educated, polished, and refined ?
good food = what does chocolate taste like ?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:14 AM

13,615 posts, read 26,055,528 times
I think some posters above made a lot of sense- it's suburbs that drive people mad. Strip malls, 4-lane highways (or more), chain stores everywhere, no "there" there.
Even when I lived in a city (Cambridge) I felt it had a town/village ambiance, at least my neighborhood. Trees and gardens. Walkable streets with nice places to walk to. Beautiful river walk.
The few times I was in Boston, I couldn't get past a lack of trees.
And we won't mention the two years flushed away at the University of Pittsburgh, which I still remember in sepia and brown tones, and have to remind myself that likely there were colors but my memory says there weren't.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:39 AM

58 posts, read 77,254 times
Ha ha! We all want what we don't have. I want the heck out of my small Ohio town! How about a bigger town or smaller, safer city? Don't give yourself culture shock! I just moan thinking you would come back to Ohio. It is in a deep recession and there's not a lot of hope flying around. I don't mean to sound negative, cause I'm not a negative person, but think twice! Best wishes!

Old 03-26-2010, 01:46 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeQ View Post
It is in a deep recession and there's not a lot of hope flying around.
Unfortunately, I think is pretty much true everywhere right now. Even living in a big city doesn't protect you from unemployment, real estate crashes, homelessness, crime, loss of services, etc. There may appear to be more opportunities in a city, but there are also more people vying for them... so the net result is the same.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:10 PM

17,091 posts, read 22,607,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Unfortunately, I think is pretty much true everywhere right now. Even living in a big city doesn't protect you from unemployment, real estate crashes, homelessness, crime, loss of services, etc. There may appear to be more opportunities in a city, but there are also more people vying for them... so the net result is the same.
And I think it's much worse to be strapped for cash in a city...at least out in the country one can feed one's self without a pile of cash, even heat a place for free (wood), etc. I'd rather be poor in the country than poor in the city.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:51 PM

7,773 posts, read 13,223,327 times
In most cases the cost of living isn't near as high in a small town than the city. Never lived in a city for very long. Spent most of my life, so far, in small towns. Don't see any need to move out of a small town. I like standing in line at the grocery and have someone start talking to me, or I start talking to them, like I've known them all my life. And I've never met them before!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living