U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 10:01 AM

22 posts, read 66,948 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am from a farming area in a small town in Southern Maryland, while my husband is from the Washington, D.C. metro area. He is a computer programmer and we are currently here in the metro area. We are both increasingly unhappy with the crowds, traffic, crime, and hurried lifestyle here, and would like to find an area where we could relocate our family. We initially thought about central PA (like the State College area) but he can't seem to find any employment there. We'd like to be within a six hour drive of the Washington, D.C. metro area since we still have relatives living there that we visit. We are fairly conservative in our views, have a traditional marriage, lots of kids, dogs, etc., and would like a town that would welcome us as a family looking to put down roots and stay, and not be cold and unwelcoming to newcomers. We are Christian (Protestant) and wouldn't want a town that would have any religious discrimination towards us, either. We enjoy little league and scouts with our sons, our daughters are into piano lessons, dance lessons (basic stuff), and family time together. I'm fine with shopping at Target type stores, as I really don't enjoy shopping all that much to begin with. A grocery store, post office, church, good schools, parks/green open areas, things like that, and I'm set. The big sticking point is being able to find my husband a job. Does anyone have any recommendations for us? He would probably want a commute to work of less than 45 minutes, as that is what he drives right now. Sorry if I've rambled on and given too much information, but I just wanted to offer up enough so as to be helpful to anyone who wanted to reply. Thanks in advance for anyone's replies. They are very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 10:49 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,873,951 times
You may want to check out Newark, DE.

Newark, Delaware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-21-2010, 04:21 PM

380 posts, read 1,013,119 times
Take a look at Shepherdstown WV. Or Harpers Ferry & Charles Town.
Jefferson County is just across the Potomac from Md. It's a semi-rural area much like you have described. Taxes are low (especially compared to PA & MD) and you are still within an easy drive (or MARC train ride) of DC. The area has grown with some residential development over the past 10 years which paid for some new schools. But much of the growth has slowed. It's 15 minutes or less to any retail or services that you would need but much of the county is still rural. I'm surrounded by a 30+ac horse farm, a 12ac property behind, a 5ac on the other side and I think the lady across the road has about 10Ac. Yet we are 5 minutes to Shepherdstown with Shepherd University. Politically it's a red/blue mix. More conservative than anywhere east in MD & DC, but more liberal than most of WV. I'll PM you some info about my house which we are selling, but even if that's not what you are looking for check out the area; it may be what you are looking for.

You can look in Jefferson County for work, Jefferson County Development Authority - the source for economic, industrial, and business development in Jefferson County, West Virginia! but it's also an easy commute to Hagerstown MD, Frederick Md, and Winchester, Leesburg or Northern VA. All of these areas may have programmer positions and/or he may be able to telecommute part of the time. Many folks in the area commute into DC or the immediate suburbs. But that is quite a long commute if it is 5 days a week.
Let me know if you like the area and want more info.
Clint

Old 02-21-2010, 08:43 PM

261 posts, read 1,166,525 times
You might find what you're looking for in Blacksburg, Va., which is home to Virginia Tech. The wider area is the New River Valley, and it has seen in recent years a sort of tech boom (nanotechnology especially).

If you want some space, you'll certainly be able to find some land within 15-20 minutes of the town, for a lot cheaper than what you'd pay if you lived right downtown.

Quality of life is pretty good. I live closer to nearby Roanoke, which trends a little more blue collar, but the whole area has a lot of good going for it.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:39 AM

22 posts, read 66,948 times
Thanks for the ideas everyone! Definitely some good spots to check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living