U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:06 PM

2,477 posts, read 3,569,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I think what Broken Tap is referring to is buying one week old Holstein bull calves and raising them to butcher weights.

(completely different from what the OP had in mind)

Here is the difference------no calves do good on pasture alone until about 500 lbs.
Thus, you will be buying those week old calves and having to feed them milk replacer ( $$$$$) for the first 6 weeks or so. Then a grain mix and good hay for the next few months til they are 500 lbs to utilize your excellent grass seeded pastures.

Thus, you should be buying those calves in Sept or Oct so they will be 500lbs when your grass pastures are lush in spring.

Although Broken Tap may prefer the taste of Holsteins over Angus, the fact is most people don't. That is reflected in the huge difference in price per pound between a holstein steer and an Angus steer when market time comes.

Most of the people near me who are in the Holstein steer business ( buying week old calves and keeping them til butcher weight) have their Holsteins on a full grain ration from 2 months old til butcher wt. ( I doubt that is what the OP envisioned as she already has in place excellent pastures and hay)

I, for one, think your original idea is good.
Most likely you have several livestock auction barns near you that have special cattle feeder sales in the fall where you can get top dollar for your 500lb weaned feeder calves.
I fail to see where you would be wise to---"market direct"-- when selling weaned beef feeder calves.

Finally, it sounds like your neighbor will be a lot of help as he knows your area and knows what works out and what doesn't.

I have done both in the past ( bought Holstein bull calves and ran a small 25 head of beef cows)

It depends on what you have in terms of pasture and hay.
Your situation sounds ideal for a small cow/calf operation like you stated in your original post. ( IMHO)

Excellent explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 04:50 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,020,592 times
I agree Marmac.

I was just trying to show that there was a possible alternative that might work for them as well.

As for the dairy beef tasting better, they have won the beef tasting championships now for the last 4 consecutive years. Jersey beef is really good tasting beef but a Jersey Bull is a bear to manage and downright nasty! I would not recommend anyone working around them, much less novices.

As for Black Angus, my complaint with them is that you only need to be 1/8 angus to get that distinction. A cow could be 7/8ths Holstein and 1/8th Angus and be considered Angus beef which to me is a marketing scam rather then accuracy. I dislike snake oil salesman in any aspect of agriculture. We should sell things based on merit and characteristics and not by fleecing people far removed from the farm. That is how I run my farm, but I admit by doing things right sometimes, I miss out on potential income.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Status: "there are no kings inside the gates of Eden" (set 3 days ago)

9,612 posts, read 7,093,874 times
http://rockimals.com/images/82240.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-27-2010, 10:12 AM

Hey Ghenghis,

Never thought of breeding those riding cows! Looks like a Holstein cross...are they the best for riding? Love the picture.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:07 PM

1,297 posts, read 2,020,592 times
Well with 300% mark up on toys, yes I could say with definitiveness that such a breeding program would be profitable, though you would be competing with the China import trade! You might beat them though, go with a 100% lead-free diet and you just might have a niche market going for you! :-)

As for the breed, that looks like a cross between a holstein and a grass rat (otherwise known as Jersey). We have over 1000 cows and yet only one has a name, Minnie Mouse.

Minnie Mouse is a Holstein Jersey, but gets her name because she HAS to be the first one to be milked. She absolutely has to be. Being a cross breed, she is smaller then the 99% holsteins we have, so to get in front, she has to bull her way through. It is comical because she looks like a torpedo under a sea of black and white. All you see is cows part and an unknown source moving them as she puts on a full head of steam. At the last second she emerges, gets to station one and is happy to be milked.

Welcome to the parlor again Minnie Mouse, glad to have you inside!

Old 02-27-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Well with 300% mark up on toys, yes I could say with definitiveness that such a breeding program would be profitable, though you would be competing with the China import trade! You might beat them though, go with a 100% lead-free diet and you just might have a niche market going for you! :-)

As for the breed, that looks like a cross between a holstein and a grass rat (otherwise known as Jersey). We have over 1000 cows and yet only one has a name, Minnie Mouse.

Minnie Mouse is a Holstein Jersey, but gets her name because she HAS to be the first one to be milked. She absolutely has to be. Being a cross breed, she is smaller then the 99% holsteins we have, so to get in front, she has to bull her way through. It is comical because she looks like a torpedo under a sea of black and white. All you see is cows part and an unknown source moving them as she puts on a full head of steam. At the last second she emerges, gets to station one and is happy to be milked.

Welcome to the parlor again Minnie Mouse, glad to have you inside!
Great Story...would love to see a video of Minnie Mouse cutting the milking line.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I agree Marmac.

I was just trying to show that there was a possible alternative that might work for them as well.

As for the dairy beef tasting better, they have won the beef tasting championships now for the last 4 consecutive years. Jersey beef is really good tasting beef but a Jersey Bull is a bear to manage and downright nasty! I would not recommend anyone working around them, much less novices.

As for Black Angus, my complaint with them is that you only need to be 1/8 angus to get that distinction. A cow could be 7/8ths Holstein and 1/8th Angus and be considered Angus beef which to me is a marketing scam rather then accuracy. I dislike snake oil salesman in any aspect of agriculture. We should sell things based on merit and characteristics and not by fleecing people far removed from the farm. That is how I run my farm, but I admit by doing things right sometimes, I miss out on potential income.
Can someone tell me the benefits of registered/non registered black angus? How do you register the calves and how do they qualify for registration, and how much does it cost?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,352,089 times
I don't see the economic feasibility in raising registered cattle unless one is a big operation and can market his best males and females for breeding stock.

Why one needs a bigger operation is every male and female born isn't automatically going to fetch top dollar as a serviceable age breeding bull or as a yearling replacement heifer. The vast majority of beef calves born will be sold at feeder auctions for feeder cattle.

If the Angus are like my registered Jerseys , you have to start by buying registered stock, keep accurate records of sires,dams, and birthdates.

You tattoo the ear to give the animal an identification mark and then send in all information to the Angus Association to get the registration papers.

However, if you are able to buy Registered Angus cows with out paying a lot more than regular Angus cows----go for it.

Make sure you breed to registered Angus bulls and keep the paperork current.

I'm guessing registration for new calves would be about $15 per head.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:45 AM

Thanks Marmac.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:18 AM

1 posts, read 6,030 times
Default wfmonger

Can anyone tell me if Belted Galloways are a good breed for begginers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living