U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:35 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,111,791 times

Advertisements

Black baldies for starters. Make your mistakes on them. Being out of dairy cows you may be able to breed them to a really good GROWTHY beef bull like Fullblood Charolais. I'd stay away from Simmental and Angus for handling/disposition reasons and Hereford for lack of milk and growth reasons. Can you buy a proven show bull that has been handled a lot (groomed, hand fed) and can you see his calves? Do the math. Even in a small herd it pays to have a calm, former show bull. Pay the extra money.

Since you're a small herd a group of mother cows will stay together and will learn to follow you. One will be the decision maker. You may not need equipment. However, springers can be like a group of wild teenagers on the loose.

I fully understand that black cattle are all the trend nowadays, even here in Alberta. But every Angus I had to handle
was a problem. A real problem, particularly in close quarters. Red Angus up here went to quality and took market away from other breeds. Flekvieh Simmental came to the fore (the German of the five Simm. "families", while Limousin were all around cows and entire herds are represented here. We use Texas Longhorn here on heifers and as a clean up bull, but the calves are very small and don't grow, and show dairy confirmation, heavily discounted at sale.

Having said all of that, there are exceptions everywhere. Cattle as ungulates have a tendency to "fit" their environment in amazing ways. Depending on where you are, there's a cow for you. I don't know anything about the southern states breeds, but Santa Gertrudis, Beefmaster, Brangus, Brahman, and Texas Longhorn all thrive in areas other breeds couldn't survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 PM

6,591 posts, read 21,267,407 times
im suprised nooens metioned Dexters as good beginner cows, there a naturlly small breed, great for a family beef cow/small acreage ect.
AMAING meat (some of the best beef ive ever had has comeoff pasture raised Dexters), nd great personalites, ive et may nd yetto meet a mean one.
plus the cows produce enough milk to make them a deacent family milker too!

Old 04-15-2013, 12:35 AM

2,569 posts, read 2,608,983 times
I agree that Dexters tend to be nice as a breed. Can be a little pricey for someone starting out, though, since most available (at least here) are purebred.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:25 PM

2,503 posts, read 5,626,861 times
Wow, great info. from everyone.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 PM

1,169 posts, read 3,437,722 times
I've had both Angus and Hereford in the past. The Angus do have better marbling in the meat, and they don't get pink eye (at least none of mine ever did). I did prefer the calmer temperament of my Herefords though. Black baldies are great too.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 AM

3,748 posts, read 6,288,300 times
I also think Dexters for beginners. Mostly because of size and temperament. But there are added benefits. Less space for more heads, more meat for the expense and better meat, it's more lean, plus they are good for both meat and dairy.
Plus they are so darn cute!
Dexter Cattle.wmv - YouTube

Old 05-19-2013, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,598 times
Since you mentioned that you have a choice of breeds to pick from, I would recommend the Gelbvieh cows. They are known for very quiet dispositions and if you have access to Angus bulls, that would be a great cross for your feeder cattle market. Gelbvieh x Angus cross calves are 50% British and 50% continental which would be the ideal cattle that feeders are looking to feed so you will have no problem getting a cattle buyer to purchase these calves for top $. Plus, by using an Angus bull on your Gelbvieh cows you get the benefit of heterosis (that's worth about 50 more pounds at weaning) compared to straight bred cattle. I would not recommend purebred / registered cattle until you figure out if you want to have them at all. If you can find them, Balancer females (1/2 Gelbvieh x 1/2 Angus) would be better than a straight bred cow because you get the best of both breeds just as you do with a black baldy.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckusa View Post
Since you mentioned that you have a choice of breeds to pick from, I would recommend the Gelbvieh cows. They are known for very quiet dispositions and if you have access to Angus bulls, that would be a great cross for your feeder cattle market. Gelbvieh x Angus cross calves are 50% British and 50% continental which would be the ideal cattle that feeders are looking to feed so you will have no problem getting a cattle buyer to purchase these calves for top $. Plus, by using an Angus bull on your Gelbvieh cows you get the benefit of heterosis (that's worth about 50 more pounds at weaning) compared to straight bred cattle. I would not recommend purebred / registered cattle until you figure out if you want to have them at all. If you can find them, Balancer females (1/2 Gelbvieh x 1/2 Angus) would be better than a straight bred cow because you get the best of both breeds just as you do with a black baldy.
We didn't get into registered cattle, just commercial. Unless you want to be a breeder, what is the benefit in having a registered herd? Does anyone know if there is a market for baldy bulls? Is it true that the first cross is the best, and then the mix becomes diluted too much and there is no benefit?

Old 05-31-2013, 07:58 AM

7,308 posts, read 8,165,025 times
I have mostly angus cows but I run a limousin bull with them as angus calves don't command a good price at market , their ok if you bring them to slaughter however

Old 06-01-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I have mostly angus cows but I run a limousin bull with them as angus calves don't command a good price at market , their ok if you bring them to slaughter however
Do you think you get a better price at the sale barn if you have a larger number of calves to sell? We typically only have a few to sell (800 pounders), and they don't seem to bring as much as some that are sold on the same day, same size, but in larger groups. How does the limousin bull crossed with angus cows impact the calves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living