Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:09 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Do you think you get a better price at the sale barn if you have a larger number of calves to sell? We typically only have a few to sell (800 pounders), and they don't seem to bring as much as some that are sold on the same day, same size, but in larger groups. How does the limousin bull crossed with angus cows impact the calves?

I don't live in the u.s so my experience may not translate , I know that angus are more popular in the states than here , angus are reasonabley popular here but not in demand as much as the French breeds like limousine or charolais and the market dictates your breeding policy at the end of the day

id love to go 100% angus and slaughter everything but I don't have the facilities ( its only a hobby for me ) , that's why I use a larger breed like limousin as a sire , the calves are bigger than pure angus and usually come out black despite the fact that limousin are red , their worth at least a hundred euro per head more than pure angus when sold at the mart at around nine months
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 05:55 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I don't live in the u.s so my experience may not translate , I know that angus are more popular in the states than here , angus are reasonabley popular here but not in demand as much as the French breeds like limousine or charolais and the market dictates your breeding policy at the end of the day

id love to go 100% angus and slaughter everything but I don't have the facilities ( its only a hobby for me ) , that's why I use a larger breed like limousin as a sire , the calves are bigger than pure angus and usually come out black despite the fact that limousin are red , their worth at least a hundred euro per head more than pure angus when sold at the mart at around nine months
Wow, 100 euros more...can see why you are using a limousin bull. Are the calves low birth weight, but grow well? We are holding back our heifers. So far, our hereford bull is throwing calves that look to weigh around 70 lbs, which is fairly small. Our bull's birthweight was only 67 lbs, which is one of the reasons we picked him. I've read that the size of the bull at birth can help determine how large his calves will be at birth. EPDs and all that jazz. You are right that black sells well in the US.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,016 times
Hello my name is Otis.I have thirty acres and i wonted to start with some bottle feeder calves but i dont know where to look to find them.I have some kids that need to learn some things .

Old 11-05-2013, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 6,016 times
i need to find bottle feeder calves in Arkansas area

Old 11-05-2013, 11:12 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
bottle feeder calves will be very hard to find in an area that lacks dairy farms.

In the state of MN ( where my dairy farm was ) many dairy farmers sold their week old bull calves at the sales barn.

With beef cattle, no incentive to sell calves that young.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:22 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
our Holstein oxen were DH's best friends, he still misses them ( dead of old age ) we were into pulling back in the day.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:23 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Call your local salebarn and tell them you're looking for bums. There are always a few babies that come through, particularly in spring.
That said, without a nurse cow, you'll never make money with bottle babies. Milk replacer is extremely expensive these days... However, if you're more after the experience or raising heifers up to be breeding stock, you don't care as much about the bottom line anyway.

Good luck.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:51 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Is small time ranching profitable? If a person had good Missouri pasture how many acres would you need per cow? What does a cow even sell for? So many questions.....

Old 11-07-2013, 10:48 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
These days ANY ranching is profitable. We have a shortage of total inventory leading to record cattle prices!

Old 11-07-2013, 11:32 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
These days ANY ranching is profitable. We have a shortage of total inventory leading to record cattle prices!

However, those wanting to get in to it ( or back into it ) are finding out the price for breeding stock is sky high right now.

I made money ( by coincidence ) by buying a herd of bred Angus heifers in the spring of 1977 for $230 a head.
I kept the herd until spring of 82 and went into dairying.

The beef herd sold for $620 per head then.

Not a good time to get into any livestock business at the peak of prices and pay thru the nose for your breeding stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living