U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 01:32 PM

6 posts, read 12,003 times

Advertisements

I want to raise some cattle and I'm thinking Angus, but have no idea how to get started. We currently rent out 10 acres of alfalfa and I've given notice to the farmer that in 2015 I will no longer lease the land.

My questions to get started are on getting the land ready and equipment. Our land is open, no stream or river and no fences. We do have one out building that can be used as a wind break. I know I need a water source and fencing, but what else do I need?

Do I need to make pasture land in spring 2015 and then get cattle in 2016?

How many head of cattle can be supported on 10 acres?

Thanks,

Brent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 11:40 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,433,956 times
Completely depends on where you live.
Florida? 10 acres could probably support 10 cows.
Western Kansas? 10 acres could support about half a cow...

Old 12-09-2013, 01:48 PM

We are in Northern Indiana.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:31 PM

Get ahold of your local extension agent. They can tell you what stocking rates are in your area.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:20 AM

2,503 posts, read 5,627,373 times
Good advice Fred. Look into rotational grazing, a method to get the most out of your pasture. If you are going to work the cattle yourself, you need a working pen and a head chute. You'll need a source for hay for the winter months. They also need supplemental salt and minerals, and some grain as an extra protein source, as needed. Out of curiousity, what were you renting the land for per acre?

Old 12-10-2013, 06:31 PM

Thanks Fred and tambre. We charge $125 per acre.

Under good pasture conditions during the warm months, and I rotate, how many head of cattle can live on 10 acres? My total guess is 5?

Old 12-10-2013, 06:33 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,801,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
My dh and I are going to be buying some beef cattle this year, and have no experience with cattle at all. We would like to raise cow/calf pairs and sell the calfs after weaning.

Our neighbor is willing to help us learn about cattle feeding, care, vaccinations, etc. We have fenced property with water in each pasture, and 60 bales of hay from last year's harvest. We don't have a round pen to work them in, yet, but our neighbor would let us use his for the time being.

What would be the best kind/breed of cattle to get started. In this area, Angus or other breed black cows have calves that bring the highest $ at sale.

Do we need to buy purebred cattle, or mixed? They cost about $1,000 for a springer cow and about $1,200 for cow/calf pairs. We might start with about 5 cow calf pairs, or 6-7 springers. The breeds available around here that are purebred are Charlais, Hereford, Angus, Gelbvieh, Simmenthal, and mixtures of the same, with a smattering of Brahman and other breeds in there. (Sorry about the spelling ).

The criteria we would look for are: gentle and easy to work with, and ease in calving and easy keepers.
You might want to check out highland cattle. They are good for meat and milk and they pretty much take care of themselves.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-11-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Under good pasture conditions during the warm months, and I rotate, how many head of cattle can live on 10 acres? My total guess is 5?
It all comes back to stocking rate. What did your extension agent say?

This is such an area-specific question, there's no way we can answer it... Personally, even rotating, I'd never be able to stock more than 1.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:02 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,836,925 times
I've been a rotational grazing dairy farmer for 14 years before retiring and selling the dairy farm to my son in 2007.

We lived along a state highway and many people stopped who were very enthused and asked questions about it because they wanted to start.

I cut right to the chase and burst their bubble by asking............" do you have a source to supply you with hay because over 50% of the year you will be feeding hay "?

I lived in MN and I doubt in Indiana he will be able to graze over 6 months unless his stocking rate is real low.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:33 PM

2,503 posts, read 5,627,373 times
Management-Intensive Grazing in Indiana - Purdue Extension
http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/AY/ay-328.pdf

Here is an article about stocking rates in your area using rotational grazing methods. If you know any local farmers who raise cattle, they could be a great resource.

Last edited by tambre; 12-11-2013 at 09:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living