U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,905,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
humane society is a strange name, do you have a clue how many animals they kill per day?
Sometimes, unfortunately, that is the humane thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:25 AM

3,429 posts, read 5,261,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

The Humane Society around me
The Humane Society in your area is NOT related to, affiliated with the HSUS or any national organization.

EACH organization that uses the words Humane Society or Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) as part of their name is a completely independent group, receive NO FUNDS from the national organizations, etc.

Please do not assume that any local group agrees with all, or even most, of the policies and practices of the organizations that are known as HSUS - The Humane Society of the United States or the ASPCA, which is the name of the local group in New York City, even though it's name implies otherwise.

Sadly the big name groups rake in the big bucks while local rescues, mostly working to find homes for cats and dogs hold garage and bake sales to raise a little money.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:35 AM

48,516 posts, read 85,127,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Sometimes, unfortunately, that is the humane thing to do.
I don't thnik anyone as the least idea of how many horses and other animals are starved to death everyday by their owners. It doesn't take much to see animals such as dogs ;cats and others being mistreated by their owners.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:56 PM

17,098 posts, read 22,617,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
The Humane Society in your area is NOT related to, affiliated with the HSUS or any national organization.

EACH organization that uses the words Humane Society or Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) as part of their name is a completely independent group, receive NO FUNDS from the national organizations, etc.

Please do not assume that any local group agrees with all, or even most, of the policies and practices of the organizations that are known as HSUS - The Humane Society of the United States or the ASPCA, which is the name of the local group in New York City, even though it's name implies otherwise.

Sadly the big name groups rake in the big bucks while local rescues, mostly working to find homes for cats and dogs hold garage and bake sales to raise a little money.
In fact the HSUS was named as such to try to confuse people into thinking it's like the various local humane societies that take care of animals, when in actuality it's an animal rights political activist group (with a few ties to eco-terrorists).

Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,905,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't thnik anyone as the least idea of how many horses and other animals are starved to death everyday by their owners. It doesn't take much to see animals such as dogs ;cats and others being mistreated by their owners.
You are absolutely right.

And unfortunately, by the time many animals are rescued from such places they are beyond help and the humane thing to do is put them down, otherwise they'll just suffer horribly for a long time.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:19 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,113,153 times
How they terminate animals, treat them while in their care, are against legal hunting, are against guns in posession of law abideing citizens. How they funnel the "gifted" monies to their favorite spawns of idiocracy. Is the main reason I haven't spent a penny on them in over 20 years.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:26 AM

20,494 posts, read 38,417,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

This bears repeating. HSUS is NOT your local humane society nor does your local humane society benefit from them in any way in almost every case.

Anyone who is really in the trenches working with the animals and trying to see to their welfare knows this, and many of them spit at the names PETA or HSUS, because of the damage those two entities have done to the actual welfare of animals.

In rare cases, putting an animal down is the humane thing to do. If it is too damaged to survive and live a normal life, yes. If it has no hope of a home, likewise. However, to take healthy animals from shelters with the promise that they will be given homes and then immediately put them down? That's no better than someone who tells a family that they are offering a good home for their beloved horse that they can no longer afford to keep, bringing along a couple of little girls to whom the horse will presumably belong, only to have that horse wind up at New Holland (notorious slaughter auction) within two weeks. (Yes, this has happened, and with my certain knowledge - we helped rescue those horses and find them actual good homes.)

PETA and HSUS are very good at one thing related to animals - fleecing two-legged sheep. It's sad that there are so many of them to fleece.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,661,294 times
Left wing .........my bad

Old 03-03-2010, 11:23 AM

23 posts, read 43,953 times
I've had mixed feelings, in dealing with them. I live in a spread out area of coastal Virginia. I take my animals to the Norfolk SPCA, and they are real down to earth, just trying to help animals. They saved my dog's life last year. There is another SPCA, not far, in Virginia Beach, and I would treat my dog at home before going to them. They're way more political, and I think they care more for politics than they do people and their animals. I walked out on them once, and went back over to Norfolk and they had the balls to call Norfolk to report my walking out on them. Yeah, no ****. Norfolk just asked me what it was about and I told them I don't feel comfortable at the other SPCA. So the political crap, whatever. I have no patience for weirdos. Lot of times, what masquerades as "caring for animals" is really just a way to try and control other people. With the pursestrings, as with those who raise for commercial purposes, or with heartstrings, as with those who have pets. Spend enough time around a wolf and it eventually reveals it's fangs.

Last edited by swimming.with.dolphins; 03-03-2010 at 11:39 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 11:37 AM

20,494 posts, read 38,417,337 times
What do you mean you take your dogs to the SPCA? For shots or something?

The SPCA's, by the way, are not HSUS - that's one of the confusions that HSUS promotes in order to get donations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living