U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2010, 07:26 PM
 
Location: CasaMo
15,594 posts, read 7,667,071 times
Reputation: 17168

Advertisements

I have a city of 70K 10 miles north of me and the suburbs of a metro of 1.5 million 30 miles south. The big city does not seem to bother the commuters (myself included), but the ones that work locally and aren't as familiar with the city because of that do find it overwhelming in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2010, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
14,731 posts, read 45,844,136 times
Reputation: 13636
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Would a city of about 65,000 people and a metro population of about 100,000 people seem like a big city to you? Would an intersection with 4 lanes going one way, each lane with about 15 cars waiting for the green light seem overwhelming to you?

The reason I ask is because I live in a city about that size and it is near many cities with about 1,000,000 people. Many people here feel overwhelmed by the big city and I have always wondered if a city like the one I live in is overwhelming to someone who lives in a town of about 5,000 people. So, would a city of 65,000 people seem big to you?
What you describe is not overwhelming to me, but it's not what I want either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2010, 09:58 PM
 
Location: hopefully NYC one day :D
411 posts, read 1,061,152 times
Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What you describe is not overwhelming to me, but it's not what I want either.
Well, maybe I should be more clear. There is really only about one intersection that has 15 cars waiting in each lane. Other intersections may have 10-15 cars backed up, but not in every lane necessarily.

Would it sound weird to all of you that people here like how my town has no traffic (compared to the nearby large cities)?

A lot of people here like how our city is not big like the nearby large cities (unlike me) and I was just curious if anyone out there thought a town w/ 65,000 people was actually too big for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2010, 11:06 AM
 
4,925 posts, read 9,905,675 times
Reputation: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Would a city of about 65,000 people and a metro population of about 100,000 people seem like a big city to you? Would an intersection with 4 lanes going one way, each lane with about 15 cars waiting for the green light seem overwhelming to you?

The reason I ask is because I live in a city about that size and it is near many cities with about 1,000,000 people. Many people here feel overwhelmed by the big city and I have always wondered if a city like the one I live in is overwhelming to someone who lives in a town of about 5,000 people. So, would a city of 65,000 people seem big to you?
Yes, it would seem big.

No it would not be overwhelming, nor are any of the nation's biggest cities.

I don't like them at all and don't want to live there. But, being overwhelmed is not the problem. I don't like the crowds, the inconvenience of the traffic, the noise and the "scenery".

I used to live about 15 miles from any town of any kind, and it had about 350. So when that is "town", yes, a city of 65,000 would seem big, because in comparison, it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2010, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
28,437 posts, read 18,221,208 times
Reputation: 16347
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Well, maybe I should be more clear. There is really only about one intersection that has 15 cars waiting in each lane. Other intersections may have 10-15 cars backed up, but not in every lane necessarily.

Would it sound weird to all of you that people here like how my town has no traffic (compared to the nearby large cities)?

A lot of people here like how our city is not big like the nearby large cities (unlike me) and I was just curious if anyone out there thought a town w/ 65,000 people was actually too big for them.
In a word, yes. I work in a city of about 35K, that's about my tolerance limit on a regular basis. I live out in the boonies on 20 acres (a start, would like more) and have no desire to live in a larger city. The nearest city to where I live is about 8K, big enough for shopping and movies...but still more than what I would want to live in. If I ever move into town again, it will be <1000, probably considerably less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2010, 06:37 PM
 
1,472 posts, read 2,031,030 times
Reputation: 1152
Here is a Pic of Rush Hour here worst I can handle.



brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2010, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,779 posts, read 6,691,967 times
Reputation: 8313
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Here is a Pic of Rush Hour here worst I can handle.



brushrunner
Looks like my rush hour, although the horse makes it a bit busier than what I'm used to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2010, 07:28 PM
 
12,685 posts, read 17,018,902 times
Reputation: 24558
I live 4 miles outside a town of 4,000. My nearest neighbor is 3/4 mile away. However, I am not "overwhelmed" by cities of 65,000 or even 1,000,000 because I have lived and worked in some of the most dense areas of cities this large. For me, it's simply a preference for peace and solitude rather than inability to cope with crowds and traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Missouri
6,046 posts, read 21,868,792 times
Reputation: 5068
Nah. I currently live in the country; nearest town is population 800. But I've driven all over the country; I can handle driving in Philly, D.C., Chicago, Atlanta...everywhere except NYC. I don't know how anyone drives in NYC; I have to use public transportation when I visit.
Haven't driven in L.A., I suspect that might be just about as bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2010, 11:45 PM
 
Location: hopefully NYC one day :D
411 posts, read 1,061,152 times
Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Nah. I currently live in the country; nearest town is population 800. But I've driven all over the country; I can handle driving in Philly, D.C., Chicago, Atlanta...everywhere except NYC. I don't know how anyone drives in NYC; I have to use public transportation when I visit.
Haven't driven in L.A., I suspect that might be just about as bad.
Most people in Manhattan don't even have cars and always use subways or taxis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top